Keir Starmer

I’m 1000% behind you in education needing more money, it’s the fairness of how that funding occurs that rankles me the most - tax should always be seen to be fair by those paying it else these people will be motivated to avoid it.

Education should not be subject to taxation in principle. We know we need more money, so let us just do it properly. It’s an investment that benefits us all, so let us all pay for it - unfortunately Labour are so welded to not raising income taxes over course of next parliament even where a solid case can be made.
It's a voluntary tax. Like paying more tax if you have a car rather than use public transport, or a gas guzzler car, etc

It's a voluntary tax. Like paying more tax if you have a car rather than use public transport, or a gas guzzler car, etc

You pay tax for using your car. It goes towards fixing roads (yeah alright alright) if you smoke or drink it goes towards health care. Thats at least the rationale. Here it’s singling out a small section of society to pay significantly more than other people of similar income and for something they don’t use. It lacks inherent fairness.

You pay tax for using your car. It goes towards fixing roads (yeah alright alright) if you smoke or drink it goes towards health care. Thats at least the rationale. Here it’s singling out a small section of society to pay significantly more than other people of similar income and for something they don’t use. It lacks inherent fairness.
It doesnt. There is no such thing as road tax. Responsibility for roads lies with local councils and comes from council tax. Vehicle excise licence money is totally separate

If you solely judge it on the individual consuming it rather than the private school itself I kind of get that argument to extent (although there’s plenty that’s unfair in the tax system), but then there’s an inherent unfairness about the private school structure as well too then.

Why do healthcare systems spend money trying to get people to stop smoking and drinking.

The Tobacco industry is a parasitic industry, we would rather it didn't exist.

The private education system is a parasitic industry, it sends out it's vanguard of class warriors to business and government and fucks it up for 93% of people who didn't go to private school. All so the private education system can still exist. Let's rip it down and start a new.

Why do healthcare systems spend money trying to get people to stop smoking and drinking.

The Tobacco industry is a parasitic industry, we would rather it didn't exist.

The private education system is a parasitic industry, it sends out it's vanguard of class warriors to business and government and fucks it up for 93% of people who didn't go to private school. All so the private education system can still exist. Let's rip it down and start a new.

There will be an old boys club that open certain doors and that will be more obvious at the elite school like Eton and won’t apply to the vast majority of private schools. These kids all still end up in the same in Uni as state school kids doing the same courses - it’s the great leveller. I think your view of class warriors is somewhat misplaced although it’s fair to say some specific school cohorts can occupy some powerful positions but you’re now talking about 7% of the 7%.

Once upon a time going to a private school would likely have helped your prospects of getting in an elite uni but those days have rightfully long vanished - probably goes the other way now and acts as a negative.

I would love Labour to introduce legislation that stated only pupils who attended state schools can become MPs and Judges.

Let people educate their kids at private schools by all means but that will then mean they can never be in a great office of state or be a Judge.

Last edited:
If you solely judge it on the individual consuming it rather than the private school itself I kind of get that argument to extent (although there’s plenty that’s unfair in the tax system), but then there’s an inherent unfairness about the private school structure as well too then.
At the end of the day private schools are a service or private business and should be treated as such. If people want to pay for a service where they send their kids to be educated outside of the state system then I don't see the problem or how it's unfair.

The anti-private school thing is always fuelled by hatred of people like Boris Johnson and the whole Eton type mafia but that is just one small aspect of private schools. Not every private schools exists as a funnel for Oxbridge politicians.

There is a private primary school near me and posh toff Oxbridge types aren't going there. It's actually used by normal people who do well enough and for whatever reason want to pay for their kids to get a certain kind of education. I seriously doubt any of these kids are being lined up to become the next Prime Minister.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.