Keir Starmer

I would love Labour to introduce legislation that stated only pupils who attended state schools can become MPs and Judges.

Let people educate their kids at private schools by all means but that will then mean they can never be in a great office of state or be a Judge.

I'd be happy for it to be fair - so they can have 7% maximum of senior public positions.

They can have another turn at PM in 2134.

At the end of the day private schools are a service or private business and should be treated as such. If people want to pay for a service where they send their kids to be educated outside of the state system then I don't see the problem or how it's unfair.

The anti-private school thing is always fuelled by hatred of people like Boris Johnson and the whole Eton type mafia but that is just one small aspect of private schools. Not every private schools exists as a funnel for Oxbridge politicians.

There is a private primary school near me and posh toff Oxbridge types aren't going there. It's actually used by normal people who do well enough and for whatever reason want to pay for their kids to get a certain kind of education. I seriously doubt any of these kids are being lined up to become the next Prime Minister.

When you see the rates of the privately educated in the media, journalism, the law, etc., it's definitely not just the top schools.

Even with smaller schools, it's essentially queue jumping, and gives an advantage in getting onto the better university courses. Any system which skews our top jobs, and our best universities towards people with money, means the many of the actual 'best' people are missing out. Add in that you're limiting the mindsets, and life experiences available, which means they're going to struggle to empathise with the majority of the country.

Any kind of local selection might seem innocuous, but it all adds up. When I was applying for my daughter's secondary school, we were in a borough with a handful of religious schools alongside large private schools. The private school already syphons off many of the more well off kids, and quite a lot of the brightest but still middle class kids in the borough. The religious schools had criteria, which seemed well meaning (like attending Church), but end up selecting people who can plan years ahead, and have settled family lives. You end up with most of the poorer kids in the borough in other schools, and even more imbalance.

1719323275617.png

There will be an old boys club that open certain doors and that will be more obvious at the elite school like Eton and won’t apply to the vast majority of private schools. These kids all still end up in the same in Uni as state school kids doing the same courses - it’s the great leveller. I think your view of class warriors is somewhat misplaced although it’s fair to say some specific school cohorts can occupy some powerful positions but you’re now talking about 7% of the 7%.

And why do they still keep paying for it and going without Sky TV and David Lloyd memberships if it isn't worth the almost 20k a year?

Once upon a time going to a private school would likely have helped your prospects of getting in an elite uni but those days have rightfully long vanished - probably goes the other way now and acts as a negative.

So the policy makes complete sense then. We have to rescue the children of the obsessive tufthunters from the consequences of their parents' frivolous spending.

And why do they still keep paying for it and going without Sky TV and David Lloyd memberships if it isn't worth the almost 20k a year?

So the policy makes complete sense then. We have to rescue the children of the obsessive tufthunters from the consequences of their parents' frivolous spending.

The policy makes no sense without fixing state schools.

The simple, or not so simple, answer is state schools are failing kids - over crowded, poorly equipped, disruptive kids (perhaps through vocational education that might interest them), etc etc. All these things are the complete opposite of what you’d find in private schools - that’s the main difference, not the quality or style of teaching.

People who say improve state schools is the best way to put private schools out of business are correct IMHO - ignoring the very elite schools, they’ll always remain.

They really won't, not for years anyway.

sure?

Labour has suspended a parliamentary candidate after being told the Gambling Commission has launched an investigation into them, a party spokeswoman has said.

Kevin Craig, the candidate for Central Suffolk and North Ipswich, has been suspended from the party pending an investigation.

It comes in the midst of a scandal over informed betting on the date of the election, with the Conservatives today withdrawing support for two candidates

Because there is a misconception that going to private school does actually open doors and does actually mean your kids will turn out better by default. This is mostly false though but it's usually too late to admit it once you've paid £100k and your kid ends up sat in the same university as everyone else.

You think the gaslighting rhetoric from likes of Reform and Farage will just disappear? Throw in also the media, GB News, Twitter , social media etc.

It will always be there from other parties and on social media. The press will barely mention anything, fearing they would lose their access.

Because there is a misconception that going to private school does actually open doors and does actually mean your kids will turn out better by default. This is mostly false though but it's usually too late to admit it once you've paid £100k and your kid ends up sat in the same university as everyone else.

Still significantly more likely to end up at a top university.

Nearly 40% at Durham, 36% at St Andrews, 32% at Edinburgh and Oxford, 28% at Cambridge, are from private schools.

Private school kids are much more likely to go to Uni, yet the vast majority of Universities have less than the % who attend private school, so they're not ending up at the same ones as everyone else - they are still taking up many more places in the best universities. That's a big issue for the country as it means that cleverer kids, who haven't had those advantages, are missing out.

sure?

Labour has suspended a parliamentary candidate after being told the Gambling Commission has launched an investigation into them, a party spokeswoman has said.

Kevin Craig, the candidate for Central Suffolk and North Ipswich, has been suspended from the party pending an investigation.

It comes in the midst of a scandal over informed betting on the date of the election, with the Conservatives today withdrawing support for two candidates
Bit of a difference. I was presuming he was betting on himself winning the seat (rather than losing which would allow for him doing the equivalent of giving away a last-minute penalty *), rather than on a date based on insider knowledge. Is that illegal? Even on betting on yourself to lose?

If betting companies keep taking bets on things that some people know will happen, is it that surprising when people who know may take the risk of taking advantage?

* I suppose if you bet on yourself to lose then you lost because it was revealed you'd bet on yourself to lose, that would be the equivalent...

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.