Keir Starmer

At the end of the day private schools are a service or private business and should be treated as such. If people want to pay for a service where they send their kids to be educated outside of the state system then I don't see the problem or how it's unfair.

The anti-private school thing is always fuelled by hatred of people like Boris Johnson and the whole Eton type mafia but that is just one small aspect of private schools. Not every private schools exists as a funnel for Oxbridge politicians.

There is a private primary school near me and posh toff Oxbridge types aren't going there. It's actually used by normal people who do well enough and for whatever reason want to pay for their kids to get a certain kind of education. I seriously doubt any of these kids are being lined up to become the next Prime Minister.

I agree, I’m not anti private school, I went to a grammar school and a lot of my friends went to private primary school or now send their kids to one. I just agree with the notion of charging VAT on them.

I would love Labour to introduce legislation that stated only pupils who attended state schools can become MPs and Judges.

Let people educate their kids at private schools by all means but that will then mean they can never be in a great office of state or be a Judge.
What if the Second Coming of Christ goes to Eton?

I don’t think you’ve thought this through.

Because there is a misconception that going to private school does actually open doors and does actually mean your kids will turn out better by default. This is mostly false though but it's usually too late to admit it once you've paid £100k and your kid ends up sat in the same university as everyone else.
I don't know about that coming out better but they do come out with a different mindset and confidence. At the elite schools the network that is built, is significant. It is also becoming a case that certain professions, journalism, arts, acting, politics and parts of the finance and legal profession are heavily tilted towards private schools. Or just kids of wealthy families.

What you are saying about ending up at the same university is broadly correct though. While certain universities (Oxford) still have a private school streak running through them others such Imperial College have a far more inclusive feel.

sure?

Labour has suspended a parliamentary candidate after being told the Gambling Commission has launched an investigation into them, a party spokeswoman has said.

Kevin Craig, the candidate for Central Suffolk and North Ipswich, has been suspended from the party pending an investigation.

It comes in the midst of a scandal over informed betting on the date of the election, with the Conservatives today withdrawing support for two candidates

Yes, I'm sure.

Fair enough, I read your reply as denying that Labour would be involved in any scandals like the Tories - when a few hours later a ‘scandal’ broke about Labour MP potentially betting illegally

He handed £100,000 to the Labour Party before being selected unopposed. That sounds like a bigger story to me.

So all that effort to get to be a candidate and bets on himself to lose.

What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Thick as pigshit, just get a friend of a friend to put the bet on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.