Keir Starmer

you have your majority Starmer, use it wisely, as it is surely a paper thin majority under the surface..... no change in vote share?!?! that seems very poor

Streeting said on the BBC last night that Starmer could be literally driving to the Palace in the car and people would still say "it's been a tough night for Labour".

He's just won the biggest majority in a generation, wiping out the opposition in a historic win. It's not "very poor", it's a complete landslide with a huge mandate

Streeting said on the BBC last night that Starmer could be literally driving to the Palace in the car and people would still say "it's been a tough night for Labour".

He's just won the biggest majority in a generation, wiping out the opposition in a historic win. It's not "very poor", it's a complete landslide with a huge mandate

Streeting should have gone.

I compared it to City winning the title again with over 100 points next year but the press saying we didn’t score as many goals so we were shit.

Negative slant is put on everything.

It doesn’t seem like the public have much enthusiasm for labour - quite a low vote share for a majority

I don't think Labour's majority guarantees success as voting behaviour is becoming increasingly volatile.

To be fair to Labour, there are now more slices of the pie and I suspect that having a significant lead in the polls suppressed their vote share somewhat.

It doesn’t seem like the public have much enthusiasm for labour - quite a low vote share for a majority

I think this fails to take into account the level of tactical voting that has gone on here which you can see in the Lib Dem vote.

If you tot up the totals on the left and right it is the same story as always:

Con/Ref - 38%
Labour/Lib/Green/PC/SNP - 55%
Others - 7%

This is roughly how it’s been for decades. Though it is actually a slight reduction of the right wing vote probably as a result of demographic changes.

Labour knew they didn’t need 40% of the vote because of the Tory/Reform split, they just needed to make sure the vote splitting was efficient, and that’s exactly what they achieved. I don’t think you can easily say that this means people don’t care for Labour, I think it just means the desire to consign the Tories to history was greater.

I think this fails to take into account the level of tactical voting that has gone on here which you can see in the Lib Dem vote.

Con/Ref - 38%
Others - 7%

This is roughly how it’s been for decades. Though it is actually a slight reduction of the right wing vote probably as a result of demographic changes.

Labour knew they didn’t need 40% of the vote because of the Tory/Reform split, they just needed to make sure the vote splitting was efficient, and that’s exactly what they achieved. I don’t think you can easily say that this means people don’t care for Labour, I think it just means the desire to consign the Tories to history was greater.

Spot on. A lot of it is copium both from the right and the left. Fact is, a lot of this result is down to Starmer. People don’t want to hear it, but making it ‘safe’ for people to vote Labour, or for people to vote LD and not worry about Labour in power is a key reason yesterday happened.

Turning a 80 seat Tory majority in 2019 into a 170 Labour majority in 2024 is remarkable.

Con/Ref - 38%
Others - 7%

If you clump all the parties together on either side yea, but I don’t think you can. Labour and Lib Dem voters can be very different depending on the area.

I think it’s pretty clear there isn’t an enthusiasm for labour. Corbyn got more votes in previous elections. As you say it was a vote stop the tories.

Labour and the conservatives have now won large majorities where vast swathes of the public aren’t voting for them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.