Keir Starmer

I’ve felt for a while that he’s going to be a lot more radical than he let on once he’s in office - and I so hope I’m correct on that, notwithstanding my severe misgivings about the electoral system that delivered his mandate.

He won't and he shouldn't.

Countries that have major political jumps always have a corresponding backlash and it leads to legislation being all over the place and the culture wars stuff. The right way to skin this cat is slowly and rationally.

If he goes fully on left wing then he just feeds ammo to the crazies. Like with most things, measured and slight movements that accumulate over time are much preferable to large swings. That's how we got here and realistically it's the only way to move the spectrum while still remaining electable. Because if you're unelectable then this is mostly academic.

He won't and he shouldn't.

Countries that have major political jumps always have a corresponding backlash and it leads to legislation being all over the place and the culture wars stuff. The right way to skin this cat is slowly and rationally.

If he goes fully on left wing then he just feeds ammo to the crazies. Like with most things, measured and slight movements that accumulate over time are much preferable to large swings. That's how we got here and realistically it's the only way to move the spectrum while still remaining electable. Because if you're unelectable then this is mostly academic.
I think it’s about perspective. Many on the left think he’s a Tory in disguise, and I don’t. I think his instincts are more towards the left than many appreciate and I think that will quite quickly manifest itself (which I think is what the country needs).

Doesn’t mean I think he will nationalise everything that moves, or start draping himself in a Palestinian flag, but I think he will be as radical as circumstances reasonably allow. He needs to be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.