Keir Starmer

He's always been tetchy. It's terrible and very unappealing trait. Sunak was like that too - perhaps even more so. Gordon Brown, ditto.

I watched the Blair interview with Amol Rajan last night and my wife and I commented on it. I am no fan of Tony Blair but he was always calm and measured in his reponses and never came across as a petulent brat. Ditto John Major. Always calm, always measured, always dealing with the question with decorum.

Starmer could do well to learn this, altough I don't think he has it in him. Too many years of lecturing others in the courtroom I suspect, dishing out the awkward questions, not taking them.
Tony Blair was an outstanding leader, seen off by the unions in his prime and replaced by politicians nowhere near his stature or abilities. A tragedy for the Labour movement and the country.

cant disagree here. the Tory party need to take a long hard look at there ideals. Reform is here to stay and will take the anti immigration vote from the Tories. The Tories need to go back to there core values and rebuild from there if they want to survive as a major party.

They made there bed with the Immigration issues and it failed for them.
There's a couple of interesting learnings from the last election.

1. There is no popular mandate for Labour. The huge parliamentary majority is a facet of an electoral system that only works at all when there are two major parties, not 3 or 4.

Two people out of every 3 who voted, did not vote for Labour. 4 people out of every 5 who could vote, did not vote for Labour. Given the Tories had been in for 14 years, given the sleeze, given the state of the NHS, our economy, energy costs, mortgage costs etc, it is STAGGERING that Labour were not more popular. Perhaps just as staggering that Starmer's Labour polled less votes than Jeremy Corbyn.

2. The Tories and Reform combined, polled more votes than Labour. The only reason Labour has so many seats, and arguably the only reason they won the election at all, is because the vote on the right of politics was split almost 50/50 whereas the left vote was not split. So in most constituencies the Labour candidate won, with the two right candidates sharing the opposing votes.

If the right wing vote is NOT so split in 2029, then Labour could easily lose. The modelling shows that just a 2% swing away from Labour would lose them 100 seats! It does not take much swing and they would lose their majority altogether.

Tony Blair was an outstanding leader, seen off by the unions in his prime and replaced by politicians nowhere near his stature or abilities. A tragedy for the Labour movement and the country.
As a politician, a massive upgrade on anything the recently preceded him or has followed him since, I will grant you that.

I am amazed at the recent Prime Ministers and just how bad they are at making political judgements. It's not necessarily the decisions I object to (some I do, obviously) it's their apalling lack of judgement often at how things will LOOK. Blair and Campbell were brilliant at getting the optics right. Hence winning 3 elections.

As a politician, a massive upgrade on anything the recently preceded him or has followed him since, I will grant you that.

I am amazed at the recent Prime Ministers and just how bad they are at making political judgements. It's not necessarily the decisions I object to (some I do, obviously) it's their apalling lack of judgement often at how things will LOOK. Blair and Campbell were brilliant at getting the optics right. Hence winning 3 elections.
Among the ruling faction of the current LP "Blairite" is still the highest form of insult. I'm probably biased as my mate was in the same chambers and I watched a few footy games with him back in the day pre politics. Clever, honest but not as much of a barcodes fan as they would have you believe.

cant disagree here. the Tory party need to take a long hard look at there ideals. Reform is here to stay and will take the anti immigration vote from the Tories. The Tories need to go back to there core values and rebuild from there if they want to survive as a major party.

They made there bed with the Immigration issues and it failed for them.

People where immigration is their number 1 issue will likely vote for reform so little point trying to chase them down by lurching further to the right. Thats not to say that’s the only reason people will vote reform, reform offer a bloke down the pub / causal observer politics that can sound “sensible” to a person who might not take a strong interest in politics and the complexities therein. It’s not dissimilar to people who suggest we just print money to pay our debt - sounds sensible on the surface but simply wouldn’t work.

For the rest of voters it’s doesn’t really matter so much. Although someone needs to tell the Tory leadership hopefuls it’s not as big an issue as they think it is. Just say we need some sort of cap to ensure we don’t fail those arriving and people already here - and work out what number the UK can absorb each year (think ability to see dentists, GPs, go to school, housing, policing) and that’s the net number you limit for. I suspect the number is higher than net immigration is today although, of course, I appreciate certain parts of the country will get lots of immigration and other parts practically zero but I’m sure they can work out where they go and arrive at a number that can be coped with still.

Doesn't matter, Corbyn got the gig because of how the party is set up. Union power does not sit well with the electorate and it hangs over the party like a bad smell. John Smith and Blair sorted all that out, so they'll need to do it again, otherwise voters will remain distrusting of the next leader.
Another Daily Heil classic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.