Kiev post match reaction thread - PLEASE keep it in here.

Bizarrely enough, I still have a sneaky feeling that we might very well go through next week.

I think Mancini may see the pressure off us, and release the shackles. Shit or bust, that sort of thing.

Now I realise he has never done that yet in his time as manager, but as we prepare for a Wembley semi-final, and the league has taken a back seat, I think he will go for it, knowing he has little to lose (as he has the back up of a Wembley visit to come).

But if he doesn't... then get those pitchforks and burning torches ready for after the match!

Didsbury Dave said:
I'll give you some evidence:

Our performances for the last three months. Our results in important games. Our constant underachievements.The comments made by ex-players to the press. The body language on the field. The rumours off it. The transfer requests. The poor substitutions.

now you give me some evidence of his ability to motivate and direct please.

'Performances/results/'underachievements'' - No, I asked you how these were effected by a supposed lack of leadership. I might as well say, 'it's all down to tiredness', you know what I mean?

Besides, performances have been good in recent big games - United away, Villa in the cup. Jesus, we've had THREE defeats since Christmas. THREE!

'The comments made by ex-players' - Who, Stevie? He really got on with Houllier too.

'The rumours off it, the body language' - This is just vague, Dave, if we're going to discuss the issue properly.

'Poor substitutions' - Not really relevant to motivation.

My evidence of his ability to motivate effectively? Backs to the wall against Arsenal, good display in the derby, three defeats since Christmas.

Rammy Blue said:
Didsbury Dave said:
He has built a team who cannot "break" because there is no pace, and a team who cannot break down defensive sides because there is no width. The only game plan is to pass through teams. However, this is hampered hugely by the slow Italian sideways passing at the back,which keeps posession but allows the opposition to get organised. This stifles the space for the attacking players.

That's what wev've got: a team who have loads of posession but don't create enough chances. And no alternative.

Best summary of our problems, Dave.

I actually agree with a lot of what Failsworth Blue has said in that I thought we played ok last night, had we not given away the 2 slack goals then a 0-0 with that display would have been a very good Europa away performance.

Problem being that once we go behind everything that you say above comes to the forefront.

Thanks Rammy and I agree. It wasn't a disastrous performance in itself. It wasn't a 2-0 game at all. The pitch was a real problem. Kolorov fucked up yet again. There was luck about their second.

It's the pattern which is the problem.

Turned into a good thread this.

-- Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:04 pm --

ST Coleridge said:
My evidence of his ability to motivate effectively? Backs to the wall against Arsenal, ,

Where we scraped a draw,

good display in the derby
where we lost,

three defeats since Christmas
since Christmas 5 points from 5 games, 2 needless cup replays and likely exit from a cup we were favourites for.

Didsbury Dave said:
since Christmas 5 points from 5 games, 2 needless cup replays and likely exit from a cup we were favourites for.
And who made us favourites in a comp we haven't played in recently? bollox to that favourites crap, we could do without the EP to see if Manchini words of "triedness" really hold up. Close season we really need to inject some pace in the midfield, it's as slow as i've seen any clubs midfeild this year.

Soulboy said:
Bizarrely enough, I still have a sneaky feeling that we might very well go through next week.

I think Mancini may see the pressure off us, and release the shackles. Shit or bust, that sort of thing.

Now I realise he has never done that yet in his time as manager, but as we prepare for a Wembley semi-final, and the league has taken a back seat, I think he will go for it, knowing he has little to lose (as he has the back up of a Wembley visit to come).

But if he doesn't... then get those pitchforks and burning torches ready for after the match!

I can write the script now. They put 11 behind the ball. We have 75% posession. We miss a few chances and final ball lets us down. WE score on 65 minutes and get our tails up. We have more posession but can't really create serious openings. On 83 minutes they break away through a Kolorov error and score. The ground empties.

Uwe Rosler said:
YAYA TOURE!! I don't know what he is, one game good 4 games shite. Where's the consistency.

I hate to say it but Lazy, money grabbing mercenary, get rid!!

I'm not going to get angry with this comment because you are obviously frustrated. However I want you, in our next match to watch Yaya. No one else but him and you should see how his presence and movement control the majority of games which is why Mancini plays him everytime! Also look at how many successful passes he make and I think you will find its on parr with Silva. He has played out of position all season and has made many assists and scored quite a few goals. Saying he is lazy is just an extremely synical view.

Ask any fan from any top four club would they take Toure and I bet you any money they would pay top dollar for him!

Midfield is the problem. It is through the midfield that chances are created and is the 1st line of defence. Bobster has a loyalty to players like Ya Ya due to the massive financial cost. How can he not play someone who he pushed the board to fund - even if they're crap?

Buying 4 more players of a similar ilk when we already had Barry and De Jong - was stupidity. Bob's insistence on slow, defensive sideways passing and trying to dribble through the middle leaves City with no threat and potentially good players like Dzeko getting crap service and losing confidence - becoming worse players. We can't keep relying on Tevez's greediness to win us games.

Good teams allow key midfield players to form a partnership so constant chopping and changing them is preventing that. Baz and DJ looked fantastic when they had a run of games together. Admittedly DJ got injured but Bob should have deputised for DJ instead of giving the lead roles to Paddy and Ya Ya.

Bob needs to sort out the spine and make some brave decisions about some of the uncommitted money chasers. Or do City need to sort Bob out??? Tough call as they might be on the edge of a fantastic run!?!?!?!?

BenchillBlue said:
Didsbury Dave said:
And who made us favourites in a comp we haven't played in recently? bollox to that favourites crap, we could do without the EP to see if Manchini words of "triedness" really hold up. Close season we really need to inject some pace in the midfield, it's as slow as i've seen any clubs midfeild this year.

We were considered favourites because the English league is considered by most to be the strongest or one of the top 2 strongest leagues in European football at present (and we are the highest ranked English side left in it) and because we have players in our side who anyone else left in the competition would like to sign. Add to that, Fulham reached the final of this competition last season.

gio's side step said:
BenchillBlue said:

We were considered favourites because the English league is considered by most to be the strongest or one of the top 2 strongest leagues in European football at present (and we are the highest ranked English side left in it) and because we have players in our side who anyone else left in the competition would like to sign. Add to that, Fulham reached the final of this competition last season.
Liverpool have more European experience than us? therefore in my eyes, regardless of players they have to better placed than us? still some big regualr European teams left in that comp.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.