Kolarov - new contract signed (page 17)

Re: Kolarov

SrilankanBlue said:
sambo86 said:
Aleks has really won me over this year! On the pitch defensively he seems far more settled and going forward he's very dangerous and his technical ability is superb (reminds me of the qualities Bale had when he broke forward as a left back) What has pleased me more is his attitude at the club- he seems to be a great personality in the dressing room albeit looks a very dry one- but he comes across as a real leader! His performance in the last few games were superb.
What made my mind up was watching him captain the team in Abu Dhabi- he ran his bloody socks off and through himself into every challenge (a man playing in the world cup!) How many left backs have his assist rate, goals rate and also score consistently in international games? Every time serbia play he seems to score or set one up.

A contract renewal is a must for me!

Agree, also I'd rather have him captain the side over Yaya anyday

And he did captain the side a few times last year IIRC. I watched that Al-Ain match and commented to a few mates about how AK was playing a friendly in hades-level temperatures like it was a Cup Final and that this was exactly the example a Captain sets.

Hihosilva said:
Saw a big improvement from him last year. There's not many better attacking left backs out there.

For pure productivity, I don't think there are any. He had more league assists than Marcelo, Alaba and Baines. Ricardo Rodriguez had more, but the Bundesliga is a weaker league that the Premier League and La Liga, so that probably has to be factored in (Rodriguez is very good though and could be an ideal replacement if Kolarov left).

Kolarov is an immense option. Clichy would be the one to upgrade, but the homegrown rules complicate that and a 33-year-old Ashley Cole is NOT an ideal replacement for Gael. And Shaw is just too expensive with FFP.

LoveCity said:
Hihosilva said:
Saw a big improvement from him last year. There's not many better attacking left backs out there.

For pure productivity, I don't think there are any. He had more league assists than Marcelo, Alaba and Baines. Ricardo Rodriguez had more, but the Bundesliga is a weaker league that the Premier League and La Liga, so that probably has to be factored in (Rodriguez is very good though and could be an ideal replacement if Kolarov left).

Kolarov is an immense option. Clichy would be the one to upgrade, but the homegrown rules complicate that and a 33-year-old Ashley Cole is NOT an ideal replacement for Gael. And Shaw is just too expensive with FFP.

Plus as set out by others above he is a bit of a leader. He is hard without being a scumbag and he is a far better defender than he is given credit for on here. The only reason I would accept for him leaving this summer is if he will not sign a new deal but he would be a very hard act to follow.

This is classic 'the grass is always greener' thinking which permeates the transfer forum.

If Kolarov and Moreno had had the same seasons at each others clubs, I guarantee many on here would be calling for us to go big on Kolarov with Moreno being used as a make weight in the deal.

nomorethaksintimes said:
This is classic 'the grass is always greener' thinking which permeates the transfer forum.

If Kolarov and Moreno had had the same seasons at each others clubs, I guarantee many on here would be calling for us to go big on Kolarov with Moreno being used as a make weight in the deal.
Do you actually believe that?

Bottomless_Sailor said:
nomorethaksintimes said:

Not sure if he does, but I do.

Tron Coltrane said:
Bottomless_Sailor said:
nomorethaksintimes said:

Replace a 21 year old Spanish international with a one-season-wonder that can't play the big matches due to his poor defending?

Bottomless_Sailor said:
Tron Coltrane said:
Bottomless_Sailor said:

Replace a 21 year old Spanish international with a one-season-wonder that can't play the big matches due to his poor defending?

Replace a 21 year old who had a season with serious flaws, who has never played in the Premiership, with a 28 year old (with four good years left) who led the league in defenders with assists, defends quite well despite the persistent reputation otherwise, and knows how to play with this team and excel in the league.

Tron Coltrane said:
Bottomless_Sailor said:
Tron Coltrane said:

Replace a 21 year old who had a season with serious flaws, who has never played in the Premiership, with a 28 year old (with four good years left) who led the league in defenders with assists, defends quite well despite the persistent reputation otherwise, and knows how to play with this team and excel in the league.
Surely the point of reversing the roles is that Kolarov would be the Premiership outsider and Moreno would already be ours?

Regardless, please tell me a Premiership great who had played in the Premiership before he had played in the Premiership. Please tell me why our Premiership-winning manager so rarely played Kolarov vs the best attacks. Please tell me what flaws Moreno has that Kolarov doesn't, and who at their respective age would be more likely to be able to iron out those flaws.

Bottomless_Sailor said:
Tron Coltrane said:
Bottomless_Sailor said:

Surely the point of reversing the roles is that Kolarov would be the Premiership outsider and Moreno would already be ours?

Regardless, please tell me a Premiership great who had played in the Premiership before he had played in the Premiership. Please tell me why our Premiership-winning manager so rarely played Kolarov vs the best attacks. Please tell me what flaws Moreno has that Kolarov doesn't, and who at their respective age would be more likely to be able to iron out those flaws.

Hah... I was just saying that we had something that works great, homie. And I'm not in a hurry to trade something that works great for a chance that something might work great. Best case scenario you break even. As to the other points though...

I can tell you Premiership players who are great -- who had already played in the Premiership -- by suggesting that you can always elect to let another club roll the dice of trying a foreign defender and wait to sign the ones who pan out. Not suggesting that's how to do our business or save money, just answering your riddle with the word "Premiership" in it a lot.

I would imagine that Pellegrini played Clichy against more robust attacks because he's more conservative.

As far as Moreno's flaws, I only caught three games last year. His main flaw seemed to be people dribbling past him a whole bunch though.

All of this by way of saying I agreed with the guy who said the grass is always greener. I think our backyard is nicer than the one a lot of people are coveting. That's it. No worries if you believe otherwise, I just chose to reply because you seemed shocked that someone might have the temerity to disagree.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.