Kolarov played out of his skin tonight

What I couldn't understand is why, when we had a free kick in exactly the same position as Lisbon scored theirs from, Kolorov took it. Common sense dictated that it was a kick for a right footed player.

Not sure whether that's kolorov's fault but I found it bizarre.

Totally disagree with op. He was able to get forward second half because he didn't have anyone to mark and no defending to do. He is undoubtedly capable of the odd quality ball but first half he was atrocious - first touch went straight up in air in our box! His crosses first half landed in south row z. He also cost us the second goal. Sorry a fullback has to defend I don't think he's good at it.

You exagerate Kolarov's errors and don't give enough credit to one of the best attacking displays from a City full back I have seen for a long time

I don't know why I waste my time replying to your response. I knew it would be some kind of negative comment before I opened it

Never understood the criticism that Kolarov gets. When he has played this season, he has mostly been excellent.

He is key to winning us those games where teams just sit back. He is the only player we have who manages to put in a decent cross.

The reason the rags have got more points than us is because they can grind out the results against the teams with all men behind the ball, by getting players like Valencia hitting hard and quick crosses into the box

Marvin said:
You exagerate Kolarov's errors and don't give enough credit to one of the best attacking displays from a City full back I have seen for a long time

I don't know why I waste my time replying to your response. I knew it would be some kind of negative comment before I opened it

It's because a few decent crosses into the box (which we didn't score from) doesn't mean that he played out of his skin. I don't care what anyone says he was at fault for the second goal and if he puts it out for a throw in then they don't score from it. Someone said that he was expecting someone to be in front of him, who exactly? He was our only left side option last night and when the ball has travelled the best part of 50 yards to get to him, surely he had time to assess the "danger".

Also this comparison with Dani Alves needs to stop. WE ARE NOT BARCELONA. Barcalona can afford to play with such attacking full backs who don't need to concentrate on defending because they are possibly one of the greatest clubs sides ever.

We look so much better with Clichy and Richards in the team. If that back four starts against Chelsea and Stoke then I'm afraid we're in for a battering!!!!

After last nights second half where we were obliged to forget our normal tici taci (sub Barca) style, we played with pace and directness sometimes forgetting subtlety. And it worked. Kolarov's part in this was important.

I'd actually play him wide left in front of Clichy with orders to create panic in the box. Kun, Edin to pick up the half chances.

Silva on the right, Yaya and Nigel in the middle.

robbieh said:
After last nights second half where we were obliged to forget our normal tici taci (sub Barca) style, we played with pace and directness sometimes forgetting subtlety. And it worked. Kolarov's part in this was important.

I'd actually play him wide left in front of Clichy with orders to create panic in the box. Kun, Edin to pick up the half chances.

Silva on the right, Yaya and Nigel in the middle.

I can sort of see where you're coming from but playing Silva out on the right would be a waste. He needs to have the free role behind 2 strikers.

We looked a lot better last night when we went to 4-3-3 playing Balotelli, Aguero & Dzeko up front.

salfordpaul said:
agreed

don t understand the haters on here, class act!

But he would be THE worst defender in the League by a country mile - if it weren't for Savic. The pair of them cannot defend and are a liability.

As for his crossing ability - wow, he managed to send over a few proper ones at last, but delivered 'into an area' rather than directed to someone.
Don't forget we were playing the 4th best team in Portugal last night - hardly Champ League stuff.

Oh, hell, this is a stupid discussion, the guys hopeless end of.

A fullback is primarily there to defend and Clichy is a better defender.

I believe had Clichy played they would not have scored their second goal.

Nice crosser Kolarov, but so is Clichy.

LoveCity said:
If only we were Barcelona and defending as a full-back wasn't that important because of the work the whole team does. Unfortunately you have to be able to defend and as good as his attacking can be, his sloppy header is the direct reason for their 2nd goal so again poor defending let him/us down.

Then it is simple, if he can't defend, set him up as a winger and get another left-back to defend and occasional attacking forays. After all this time in the team, Mancini should have realized by now what he is good at and what he's not...
Kolarov was among the better players in the team yesterday, his crosses were good and Dzeko almost headed one in...I only wish he would really practice on his free-kicks, since he's the designated free-kick taker..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.