Kolarov played out of his skin tonight

labatt_blue said:
kolarov is quality and is not to blame for the second at all. he put the ball in a space where he was expecting a city player to be, and there were 2 ifrc that reacted slow as fuck.

and where was toure on the second one?? he got beat to the back post didn't he??

Exactly this. I think Silva was sluggish in getting into that space for the knockdown. Savic also did a poor job at stopping the cross coming in, surprised people are saying it's just Kolarov's fault.

Wreckless Alec said:
What I couldn't understand is why, when we had a free kick in exactly the same position as Lisbon scored theirs from, Kolorov took it. Common sense dictated that it was a kick for a right footed player.

Not sure whether that's kolorov's fault but I found it bizarre.

Yes, I thought the same. In fact, I believe Balotelli wanted to take that free-kick, but De Jong pushed him away. It was the perfect spot to score a goal.. and Balo has done it before..

He can and does whip in some remarkably tasty crosses and dead balls. This will be why Bob bought him.

However, his defensive qualities are no existent. He was woefully out of position for their 2nd goal. I've seen him out of position for opposition goals several times this season.

I think he's got scope to come on for 25 mins in games where the opposition has parked the bus and we cant get through.

Bombarding with crosses in those circumstances is a great strategy. United do this very same thing and lets be fair it's won them hundreds of games over the years. A cross can go anywhere, they cause mayhem and uncertainty. An excellent tool when defenders are tiring both physicaly and mentally towards the end of games.

Similarly if we do this, Dzeko should also be on. His major strength is meeting crosses.

As you know I'm not the biggest fan of either player and dont rate them overall, but in certain circumstances their niche abilities could/would win matches.

Use the squad in the right way.

I think Kolarov is fantastic. I

also think Dzeko deserves alot of credit, it is no coincidence that when he came on, all of the sudden our other players had loads of space.

That is what Dzeko offers us, he is much better at holding up play and sucking defenders in than Balotelli for example. It is frustrating when he misses a sitter or does a heavy touch but people should remember that he is still making a posotive contribution.

What a load of bollocks.

At fault for the goal, slow and once again picked up a booking for not getting back in and beaten for pace.

His crossing was crap until Sporting were literally defending the 18-yard line.

Each one of his three 'great crosses', acres of time and space for him to put the ball in.

A bad, bad player.

Thought he was absolute bobbins in the first half besides the awful defending for the 2nd. however seconf half he had a great game attacking and even defended from the correct positon on a couple of occasions.

redmizzle said:
labatt_blue said:
kolarov is quality and is not to blame for the second at all. he put the ball in a space where he was expecting a city player to be, and there were 2 ifrc that reacted slow as fuck.

and where was toure on the second one?? he got beat to the back post didn't he??

Exactly this. I think Silva was sluggish in getting into that space for the knockdown. Savic also did a poor job at stopping the cross coming in, surprised people are saying it's just Kolarov's fault.

Not read all of this thread, this is the first post I've read.
That header was right in front of where I was sat and you've answered your own point with the word "expected" Kolorov didn't know if there was a City player there.
He was defending and it should have been safety first

As I said, I was sat at that end of the ground in the East stand (normally EL3 on the half way) and it was interesting to see how our defenders performed as I had the perfect view with them generally being in a line in front of me across the penaly area.
Kolorov was shocking in the first half. He had no idea where he should have been positionally and was constantly being caught out. Whether this was something to do with Savic being low on confidence and not covering him when he moved forward I'm not certain, but Kolorov has to take the majority of the responsibility.
In fact in the first twenty seconds Kolorov put us under extreme pressure by hoofing the ball into the sky and it landed in our penalty area, which set the tone for the first half

Savic was a bag of nerves and looked like an accident waiting to happen.
I hope he doesn't play next week as his nervousness and uncertainty rubbed off onto Kolo Toure

redmizzle said:
labatt_blue said:

I like Kolarov's crosses, they're far superior to Clichy's but he has to be blamed for the 2nd goal, he completely sold himself with the initial challenge, once he didn't win the ball cleanly he was out of the game and left Savic in a no-win situation. The point about Silva is correct, he should have reacted quicker.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Marvin said:
Jumanji said:
Don't bother Marvin, we aren't allowed to applaud when an unpopular player does something right.
I know! Goodnight anyway. The depression has been lifted. Maybe as knee-jerk as the reaction to the Swansea defeat.

I think we are all upset, as that is the third defeat on the spin, with Chelsea next, a must win game. We will be 4 points behind United by then and the sooner the manager and players understand that the better.

I think we are all upset, as that is the third defeat on the spin
=======
Did I miss 2 late sporting goals then?
I know away goals count double ;-), but we won 3-2

Andouble said:
excellent going forward. Cost us the tie with the 2nd Sporting goal.

Agreed his fault for the second goal and should have not taken the free kick on the left hand side. Good going forward though i agree.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.