Kolarov

Comparing attacking stats for Clichy and Kolarov is pretty meaningless as Clichy has pretty much always played as a fullback or occasionally as part of a back three whereas Kolarov has played a fair bit as a wingback or as a left sided midfielder.
That said I agree he has a better delivery, but as a defender he frightens me unless he has someone to protect him.

Skashion said:
Marvin said:
Can't shoot or cross! Have you ever seen Kolarov play?
Indeed, even more ridiculous when he's being compared to fucking Clichy.

Here's their records over the past two seasons, playing with the same squad.

Kolarov, 41 starts, 7 goals and 9 assists. So a goal or assist every 2.56 starts.
Clichy, 70 starts, 0 goals and 6 assists. So a goal or assist every 11.67 starts.

That means Kolarov is 4.55 times more likely than Clichy to bag you a goal or assist. It's not even remotely close. Going forward Kolarov is a much better option. Yes, Clichy has pace and is a more far competent left-back but we rarely have that problem. Against a pacy right-winger, or stronger opposition where we expect to be under a barrage, play Clichy, but when you want to break down parked buses we normally play against, the evidence shows that Kolarov is a far more effective option. Our problem last season wasn't our defence conceding too many, it was not scoring enough to turn draws into wins. Kolarov is somewhat of an answer.

If people are saying, yes, we need a world-class attacking left-back to replace Clichy as well as Kolarov, yes, that's perfectly fine. Can we improve on both? Yes, absolutely we can, although such players who can attack and defend competently and have the pace to do both roles effectively are rare, and therefore in high demand. If people are saying we just need defenders to defend, ok, I'd say you're wrong and at our level we do need extra support from the left and right-backs up front, but again it's understandable as an argument. However, people saying Kolarov gives us nothing whilst praising Clichy are deluded beyond belief. The facts are there if you care to check.

If you would pick kolarov over clichy then you really are a horrible judge of football.

To base your opinion on stats alone is ridiculous but equally to completely dismiss that stats have relevance in an argument is just as ridiculous.

Out of interest, how many of Kolarov's goals and assists have come from open play and how many from set pieces?

Rolee said:
To base your opinion on stats alone is ridiculous but equally to completely dismiss that stats have relevance in an argument is just as ridiculous.

Out of interest, how many of Kolarov's goals and assists have come from open play and how many from set pieces?

Not only that, how many of Kolarov's goals and assists come against sub-standard opposition eg Barnsley?

Exeter Blue I am here said:
Rolee said:

Not only that, how many of Kolarov's goals and assists come against sub-standard opposition eg Barnsley?

the man doesn't get to play very much, yet managed to score a few goals, including vs real madrid. he can attack, help in the build up and make the odd assist.

that said, his defence sucks.

Rolee said:

WTF so its not equally important to score against Barnsley now? pathetic argument i must say<br /><br />-- Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:50 pm --<br /><br />
Rolee said:

Does it really matter? goal is a goal, and is far better to score on set pieces than hitting the wall or over the goal right?

Why are we comparing goals and assist for defenders! Shouldn't we be comparing tackles or clean sheets. I may be crazy be I prefer defenders that can defend and let the midfielders create and score!

zeven said:
Rolee said:

WTF so its not equally important to score against Barnsley now? pathetic argument i must say

-- Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:50 pm --

Rolee said:

Does it really matter? goal is a goal, and is far better to score on set pieces than hitting the wall or over the goal right?

Of course it matters if you're comparing him to someone who doesn't take set pieces.

dachoosen1 said:
Why are we comparing goals and assist for defenders! Shouldn't we be comparing tackles or clean sheets. I may be crazy be I prefer defenders that can defend and let the midfielders create and score!

fullbacks have to be capable of attacking as well.

clearly clichy isn't good enough in the attack, and kolarov's defence sucks so it would help the team if both were sold and replaced.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.