Kolarov

peter.evans said:
Kolarov and Clichy are both decent full backs but Clichy seems to be pretty untouchable in terms of criticism from most. Kolarov, on the other hand gets slaughtered, as with Javi Garcia. Do people not think the lack of support from the wide players puts extra pressure on the fullbacks ? Also, if Kolarov is so poor, how come he was part of a defensive 'squad' that was pretty much the best in the Premier league for the last two seasons ? To say the guy can't defend is an utter joke. I've seen him have some excellent displays purely as a defender and that is before we get on to his abilities going forward which are light years ahead of Clichys ! I have also seen Clichy make some appalling errors, e.g. the Charity Shield last minute cock up v the Rags, giving the ball away to Fabio in the last minute v the rags last season ( a result which effectively cost us the title ). I haven't seen these, or any other, Clichy cock ups mentioned on here ! Not that Clichy is a bad player, far from it. he's very good. Just that some on here can't accept that all players make mistakes. Richards, another untouchable, has made umpteen howlers over the last few years, Norwich in the last game he was appalling !! I sincerely hope both Kolarov and Garcia stick it up these idiots next season.
Was that not Kompany?

peter.evans said:
Kolarov and Clichy are both decent full backs but Clichy seems to be pretty untouchable in terms of criticism from most. Kolarov, on the other hand gets slaughtered, as with Javi Garcia. Do people not think the lack of support from the wide players puts extra pressure on the fullbacks ? Also, if Kolarov is so poor, how come he was part of a defensive 'squad' that was pretty much the best in the Premier league for the last two seasons ? To say the guy can't defend is an utter joke. I've seen him have some excellent displays purely as a defender and that is before we get on to his abilities going forward which are light years ahead of Clichys ! I have also seen Clichy make some appalling errors, e.g. the Charity Shield last minute cock up v the Rags, giving the ball away to Fabio in the last minute v the rags last season ( a result which effectively cost us the title ). I haven't seen these, or any other, Clichy cock ups mentioned on here ! Not that Clichy is a bad player, far from it. he's very good. Just that some on here can't accept that all players make mistakes. Richards, another untouchable, has made umpteen howlers over the last few years, Norwich in the last game he was appalling !! I sincerely hope both Kolarov and Garcia stick it up these idiots next season.

I take your point to some extent about Clichy. I thought he was way below par last season (as was much of the squad) and personally I don't see him as being above criticism. The difference is that he was excellent the season before and has some "credit in the bank" whereas Kolarov has been consistently shit since we signed him. It isn't some weird coincidence that Kolarov and Garcia get grief on here, they get grief because both of them have been really poor and a waste of money. Same with Savic before them, he got grief because he was fucking garbage, he wasn't picked on at random. I am sure if Kolarov and Garcia play consistently well this season then they will not be the target of the supporters. Lescott used to get all manner of shit but he put in a season of great perfomances and turned it around.

Vincents Tackle said:
MihaiCity said:
peter.evans said:

Well said Sir!!!!!

I agree. I think because Clichy generally appears to put more effort in when defending, i.e pressing, chasing back, putting his foot in early, he escapes criticism. Everyone loves a trier don't they? Certainly in England they do anyway. He had a reputation at Arsenal for making mistakes, especially in the big games. Those two games you mentioned above (although I believe it was Rafael not Fabio) are just a couple of examples of him still having those lapses in concentration. And let's not even get started on the FA Cup Final performance.

Kolorov definitely has his weaknesses but he is also very capable going forward and has great set piece delivery so does offer us something different. IMO we should stick with both and use them in rotation as we have done.

dont know what you call capable of going forward but what kolarov does is ordinary at best. Hes slow not very skilful and his crosses arnt that good. i think if you are a bad defender you have to be a really good attacker and he just isnt.

What is "really good" is subjective. However, I'll just throw out a few stats out there that might highlight Kolarov's goal and assist record and how it far more closely matches effective attacking players than Clichy's does.

Silva
12/13: 37 starts, 5 goals, 11 assists
11/12: 47 starts, 8 goals, 19 assists
10/11: 43 starts, 6 goals, 13 assists
TOTAL: 127 starts, 19 goals, 43 assists
= 1.95 starts per goal/assist (last two seasons)
= 2.04 starts per goal/assist (City career)

Kolarov
12/13: 17 starts, 4 goals, 3 assists
11/12: 21 starts, 4 goals, 6 assists
10/11: 31 starts, 3 goals, 2 assists
TOTAL: 69 starts, 11 goals, 11 assists
= 2.23 starts per goal/assist (last two seasons)
= 3.13 starts per goal/assist (City career)

Clichy
12/13: 33 starts, 2 assists
11/12: 37 starts, 4 assists
TOTAL: 70 starts, 6 assists
= 11.67 starts per goal/assist (last two seasons/City career)

Kolarov's goal and assist record ain't half bad when you compare it to Silva's and there's a ocean-sized gap between Kolarov's and Clichy's goal and assist record. I'd say the evidence supports the idea that Kolarov is effective going forward. If it's a matter of relativity, and Kolarov is 'ordinary', then Clichy is horrifically bad considering he's 5.23 times less likely to bag a goal or assist than Kolarov is.

Skashion said:
What is "really good" is subjective. However, I'll just throw out a few stats out there that might highlight Kolarov's goal and assist record and how it far more closely matches effective attacking players than Clichy's does.

Silva

Kolarov

Clichy

Kolarov's goal and assist record ain't have bad when you compare it to Silva's and there's a ocean-sized gap between Kolarov's and Clichy's goal and assist record. I'd say the evidence supports the idea that Kolarov is effective going forward. If it's a matter of relativity, and Kolarov is 'ordinary', then Clichy is horrifically bad considering he's 5.23 times less likely to bag a goal or assist than Kolarov is.

He's still wank though.

Rammy Blue said:
Skashion said:

Silva

Kolarov

Clichy

Kolarov's goal and assist record ain't have bad when you compare it to Silva's and there's a ocean-sized gap between Kolarov's and Clichy's goal and assist record. I'd say the evidence supports the idea that Kolarov is effective going forward. If it's a matter of relativity, and Kolarov is 'ordinary', then Clichy is horrifically bad considering he's 5.23 times less likely to bag a goal or assist than Kolarov is.

He's still wank though.

Yeah, 11 goals in 67 starts and umpteen assists. Clichy, not a single goal in 70 starts. I think this ends the debate about attacking prowess of both players. As for defending, I am struggling to recall a single goal scored by the opposition that was directly Kolarov's fault, but as i said earlier, both the charity shield ( both Kompany and Clichy at fault ) and the United winner last season were major mistakes by Clichy. Kolarov's still wank though will be the educated response !!

jackinho said:
Vincents Tackle said:
MihaiCity said:
Well said Sir!!!!!

I agree. I think because Clichy generally appears to put more effort in when defending, i.e pressing, chasing back, putting his foot in early, he escapes criticism. Everyone loves a trier don't they? Certainly in England they do anyway. He had a reputation at Arsenal for making mistakes, especially in the big games. Those two games you mentioned above (although I believe it was Rafael not Fabio) are just a couple of examples of him still having those lapses in concentration. And let's not even get started on the FA Cup Final performance.

Kolorov definitely has his weaknesses but he is also very capable going forward and has great set piece delivery so does offer us something different. IMO we should stick with both and use them in rotation as we have done.

dont know what you call capable of going forward but what kolarov does is ordinary at best. Hes slow not very skilful and his crosses arnt that good. i think if you are a bad defender you have to be a really good attacker and he just isnt.

Thankfully someone has posted some stats to back up the claim that he is capable going forward but it's a matter of opinion on whether you agree or not. Personally, I prefer to make my own opinion on players based on what I see with my own eyes rather than listening to a bunch of boo boys.

I'll be honest though, I probably do have a weakness for looking for positives rather than concentrating on negatives when it comes to City.

peter.evans said:
Rammy Blue said:
Skashion said:

Silva

Kolarov

Clichy

He's still wank though.

Yeah, 11 goals in 67 starts and umpteen assists. Clichy, not a single goal in 70 starts. I think this ends the debate about attacking prowess of both players. As for defending, I am struggling to recall a single goal scored by the opposition that was directly Kolarov's fault, but as i said earlier, both the charity shield ( both Kompany and Clichy at fault ) and the United winner last season were major mistakes by Clichy. Kolarov's still wank though will be the educated response !!

I'm struggling to think of a game Kolarov has played where the whole team hasn't been pulled out of shape several times because of his shite defending.

Whether you deem him responsible for goals in those circumstances is up to you, but I recon there's a good 40 odd thousand people in the ground regularly who have seen other defenders have to leave their own positions to cover for Kolarov because he has either just been skinned alive by someone, or isn't there at all when needed because he didn't make enough effort to get back. Then the subsequent carnage results in a goal. I recon a large percentage hold him completely responsible for us conceding in those circumstances. Or when someone leaves him for dead then hammers a ball into our box which results in a goal, even if it wasn't directly from that pass, I recon most people can see where the fault for the goal lies.

Normally the whole defence is undermined by him being on the pitch.

I suppose the fault initially would be his for getting tackled going forward the fool that he is, then the rest of midfield and covering defence and finally Joe Harts fault ;)

It's not a case of pointing to individual mistakes or looking at stats of how many goals he has scored. The fact is he is tactically unaware, the odd time he is in the right place at the right time, is usually by mistake.

Clichy is in a similar mould to Zabba, in that he is technically a good player but what he lacks in ability he makes up for in non-stop pressing and hard graft. These are players that will run through a brick wall for the cause.

Its hard to fight Kolarov's corner when he has yet to show any sort of graft or fight for the team, and for me that comes before you start showing your ability.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.