Kolarov

"Kolarov is useless, he can't defend. Get Baines instead."

These kind of posts are hilarious.

The 'Kolarov can't defend' line is in no way justified either. He is just far more attacking than what we're used to. He's a better modern full-back than Clichy. As much as I love Gaël, his offensive game is 2/10.

Kolarov is vastly underrated on here, the only fullback in the league who comes close to matching his crossing and shooting is Baines. I accept he's not the greatest defensively, but he's certainly not "below average" as people have stated on here. He would comfortably walk into 90% of teams in the prem and is a top player to have as cover for LB.

The "modern" left/right back doesn't defend well but their attacking play is good. The real art of defending is dying.

MCFCSFC said:
The "modern" left/right back doesn't defend well but their attacking play is good. The real art of defending is dying.

That's kind of my point. Clichy is better overall. But do we move with the game, or stick the, ahem, "art"?

Dani Alves has been championed as one of the best full-backs of the last few years, but his defensive game is questionable. Before him, Maicon. On the other side, Evra was the leader for a few years, with Marcelo coming to mind, too. The only two 'leading' full backs who are probably better defensively than offensively are Lahm and Cole. If I'm not mistaken, they're both much closer to 30 than 25 aren't they?

MSP said:
Dani Alves would play at Levante for his defensive value.

Precisely! He must have clocked 200 appearances for one of the best teams in history by now. He hasn't done that because he's slow to close down crosses. He's done it because he's useful going forwards; hence why it's important to keep Kola.

Dzeko's Right Boot said:
MSP said:
Dani Alves would play at Levante for his defensive value.

Precisely! He must have clocked 200 appearances for one of the best teams in history by now. He hasn't done that because he's slow to close down crosses. He's done it because he's useful going forwards; hence why it's important to keep Kola.

Number one assist provider for Messi's goals at Barcelona.

Dzeko's Right Boot said:
"Kolarov is useless, he can't defend. Get Baines instead."

These kind of posts are hilarious.

The 'Kolarov can't defend' line is in no way justified either. He is just far more attacking than what we're used to. He's a better modern full-back than Clichy. As much as I love Gaël, his offensive game is 2/10.

I wouldn't say Clichy that bad going forward or Kola that bad at defending, I think most of the problem is the players around them, if Clichy plays, have an attacking M/F. If Kola plays, make sure we have decent cover for his runs from M/F!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.