Kompany (do we need to find a replacement? )

And people had a go at me for suggesting he is finished when he got injured yet again, saying it was just a concussion and not an injury. Love Vinny but surely it is absolutely clear now that he is done.

This has be the end of him surely? It's as bad as Rodwell and a complete liability.

We need another centre half in the squad anyway, if Vinny is only available 25% of the time we've got two centre halves for they other 75% and pulling players in from full back leaves those positions short. The problem is that we've a full squad so where do we cut from to add a centre half? Personally I'd show some trust in Gunn and use him as second choice keeper.

I like VVD, looks useful and might not cost the earth, should have signed him from Celtic though, we knew all about him then after watching Denayer up there for a season.

What are the implications Zin?

Yes and I've mentioned it on the other thread, but it's swings and roundabouts really and if we don't rush him we've time to work on his calf before bringing him back into the team.

The 'roundabouts' are the problem, especially in recovery terms, his body will naturally over compensate and the niggles will only increase... The reason mentally komps is struggling is he knows that he isn't a half measure kind of guy, the reality of first team action can never be replicated behind closed doors, I also don't want to see him half cocked...

My hope is he can maybe have a 'last stand' kind of performance like zab vs barca, he deserves to go out the legend he is, chest out and fist pumping at the final whistle, however, this notion that we are writing him off has to stop, the facts are he is actually getting more susceptible to injuries!!!

Agree with VVD, been very impressed with him defensably and comfortable when playing out, is he better than Denier?

The 'roundabouts' are the problem, especially in recovery terms, his body will naturally over compensate and the niggles will only increase..
Not even that, the destabilisation caused by a medial injury delays the recovery process. Personally though I think the loss of strength a meniscus injury would cause or the lack of mobility a cruciate would cause would bury him at this stage as he wouldn't be able to protect the muscular weak spots, so if he has to do his ligaments..

Agree with VVD, been very impressed with him defensably and comfortable when playing out, is he better than Denier?
They were a similar level at Celtic, VVD has been playing week in week out at centre half in a good defensive system for Southampton since though and looks to have improved more. He's got a few years on Denayer though.

I think we all need a bit of clarity on something here.

This new injury is not another breakdown. It is the result of a freak accident/collision that regardless of his previous injury record him or any other player would have come off the same...the fact that he was probably unconscious for a brief second or two as he fell meant he has zero control over his body and therefore his leg(s) went under him in a very strange position.

This is NOT his calf going again (that has not happened in a while)

The injury he suffered vs real madrid was a thigh (quadricep) injury iirc....again unrelated

He has been unlucky with injuries and there is probably a problem with muscle imbalances as well due to injuries and as many people have mentioned psychologically he may struggle as well (though if you listen to the comments of people that work with him - the belgium coach, Pep etc - then if there is one guy in the game mentally equipped to deal with this sort of stuff it is Kompany.

You could previously say he was injury prone (his calf was a constant problem for a while) but the last few ones have just been pure bad luck and in particular this one.

~to me injury prone means reoccurring injury to the same muscle...this hasn't happened for a while (as far has been reported that is)

The injury vs madrid (thigh) which was clearly a bad one could have been related to being out for so long, not warming up properly or just a freak incident (Ive had it happen but not on such a bad scale)

I had a reoccurring calf injury for years and Im 10 years older than Kompany) and it took me two years to get it sorted (it turned out to be a combination of things...wrong training, need for a bit of rest more than i was doing (which is something Kompany has admitted to as well recently) as well as a slight problem in my hip flexors which led to the injury.....these things can take a while to get to the bottom of but it looks like they have sorted his calf problem out (which was the main thing) and was the one that was reoccurring and could lead t him being labelled as injury prone.

Some people again are just to eager to write him off...its like they want a new toy and see Vinnies injuries as an excuse to try and make someone buy it for them!!!!!

I love the guy one of the bet captains we could wish for.
But if he's never fit it's irrelevant.
I do the it's getting towards the time for him to retire unfortunately

Not even that, the destabilisation caused by a medial injury delays the recovery process. Personally though I think the loss of strength a meniscus injury would cause or the lack of mobility a cruciate would cause would bury him at this stage as he wouldn't be able to protect the muscular weak spots, so if he has to do his ligaments..

Think you're confusing the function of the meniscus. It isn't a ligament, it's cartilage so doesn't affect strength or stability. The meniscus is there to distribute weight and load throughout the knee to act as cushioning, whilst reducing friction between the bones in your knee.

Although either a cartilage or ligament injury are the last thing he needs. IF there is a tear to either it's months rather than weeks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.