Kylian Mbappé | Real Madrid Player (pg620)

i said this before and i will say it again city are the club that can complain the least about not getting mbappe. 3 of the top 5 young players in the world play for us. unlike other clubs who either have one or none. give me all 3 of jesus sane and sterling any day over one mbappe. compare that to other clubs
utd : rashford been poor, martial is leaving
chelsea : none
Arsenal : none
Liverpool : none
spurs : dele alli
Barca : dembele who has struggled
Madrid : asensio
Psg : mbappe
no wonder they want him so badly most of them dont have that many young talents . compare that to what we have we really cant complain.
with mbappe or without him the future is blue :)
Don't forget Foden, Ederson, Mendy, Stones & Laporte all young & will be around for the next 2 Euros & World Cups...

Why did he come out and say it?

He did mate. He said "I said no to Manchester, not to Guardiola".

Unfortunately for us the really elite players we've been linked with over the years and will be in future like Messi, Mbappe, Ronaldinho etc. have a choice of which city they want to live in. As much as I love Manchester, it's not as attractive a place to live to most people as London, Barcelona, Paris or Madrid. These are bigger cities with better international connections and better weather.

We will always be in the mix for different reasons (money, Pep, facilities, style of football, premier league) but it is a relative headwind for us vs the likes of Barcelona. He'll, I'd move to Barcelona in a flash.

I don't disagree with you and the club clearly liked what they saw too as they seemed determined to get the deal over the line. I still think people have a different perception of just how good these players are though unless they've done it at what you might call an elite club (hence me using the phrase "at the VERY top"). Similar situation to Mahrez really. He's won the premier league playing for Leicester and won player of the year but there's a sizeable number of people who believe he won't have proven himself at the very top until he does it at an elite club. Hopefully he will!

I see what you are saying. I suppose I misunderstood. I took it as City's scout team unearthed this diamond in the rough, young Belgian that was merely known as a Chelsea "flop" and we knew more than the other clubs about how good he really was as a player.

Why did he come out and say it?

I didn't allude to there being any direct quote spelling it out. Someone asked why he turned us down. I suggested some reasons and was careful to caveat that with the admission I was speculating. No need to take such a challenging tone with me. If you want direct quotes, these come pretty close to offering an explanation:

"For any young person from the Paris region, it is often a dream to wear the red and blue jersey and experience the unique atmosphere of the Parc des Princes"
“I did not say no to Guardiola, I said no to Manchester City.”

There is heaps of evidence confirming he was obsessed with Real Madrid and Ronaldo during his teenage years. I think it's a fairly safe ASSUMPTION that if you support a club and they also happen to be the biggest club in the world regularly winning/competing for the champions league, that's most likely going to be your top choice.

Unless anyone is able to speak to guy himself, i think on balance all of the info above gives a good idea of why he chose PSG over City and why Madrid is likely to be his long term aim. Putting myself in his position, it's probably the choice I would have made. By the same token, if there were a choice between City and PSG, I'm guessing Phil Foden would choose City.

Despite some reasonably compelling evidence above, some people will of course choose to ignore all of that and stick with their narrative that our board are shit at getting deals over the line, that we didn't try hard enough and that we're scared of spending money.

I see what you are saying. I suppose I misunderstood. I took it as City's scout team unearthed this diamond in the rough, young Belgian that was merely known as a Chelsea "flop" and we knew more than the other clubs about how good he really was as a player.
Ah ok, I understand. I think we get each other now, but yeah my point was more that the club dared to go in with a very huge offer and went to all lengths to get him here. He'd shown himself to be a top player but we were the big club that went all out above anyone else (thus proving we will put the money up, when we think we have the right man)

I didn't allude to there being any direct quote spelling it out. Someone asked why he turned us down. I suggested some reasons and was careful to caveat that with the admission I was speculating. No need to take such a challenging tone with me. If you want direct quotes, these come pretty close to offering an explanation:

"For any young person from the Paris region, it is often a dream to wear the red and blue jersey and experience the unique atmosphere of the Parc des Princes"
“I did not say no to Guardiola, I said no to Manchester City.”

There is heaps of evidence confirming he was obsessed with Real Madrid and Ronaldo during his teenage years. I think it's a fairly safe ASSUMPTION that if you support a club and they also happen to be the biggest club in the world regularly winning/competing for the champions league, that's most likely going to be your top choice.

Unless anyone is able to speak to guy himself, i think on balance all of the info above gives a good idea of why he chose PSG over City and why Madrid is likely to be his long term aim. Putting myself in his position, it's probably the choice I would have made. By the same token, if there were a choice between City and PSG, I'm guessing Phil Foden would choose City.

Despite some reasonably compelling evidence above, some people will of course choose to ignore all of that and stick with their narrative that our board are shit at getting deals over the line, that we didn't try hard enough and that we're scared of spending money.

Challenging tone? I was just wondering wondering what the context was. I can understand why he would turn us down but not why he go public with it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.