Kylian Mbappe

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the (100) million dollar question isn't it? It's a crazy fee for an 18 year old and I understand the points you make about wanting proven quality for that fee. The only point I want to make is that the 'gambling on potential' narrative feels wrong because every top club is jumping through the roof trying to smash the record trying to buy this kid. It's not ...well Real Madrid will do it, so that means we should get in too! It's more like every clubs scouts are begging the club to buy this youngster at any cost. That's enough for me to say aright, we have to go all-in for this kid.

Where are all these crazy prices for him coming from. Genuine question as I still haven't seen any credible sources that has teams looking to pay those fees for him

Trying means having the balls to play them. None of the players we have signed would have come through the same at City.

The situation with signings is spiralling out of control & we need to consider what happens if UEFA change the rules.

Last post from me on this regarding youth because I don't want fantasyireland having a stroke. I wanted rekik, barker, lopes, denayer, and Roberts to play and make it here just as anyone else. There hasn't been a single player make our first team since I got into the game (outside of Micah). Having said that we need to start looking at ourselves like we're RM. It annoys Pep that we don't. Ask yourself if Real would have taken a chance on any of those players above. Massive Nope for me.

Based on the little I have seen of him, he doesn't have the technical ability to be another Ronaldo or Messi. But his explosive pace, good link-up play and coolness in front of goal do evoke memories of Henry.

Whilst he's obviously a brilliant prospect, one side would be taking quite a sizeable risk if he were to leave this summer for the figures quoted.

Anyone who thinks £100,000,000.00 is not crazy money to pay for any footballer needs to take a step back, it's not just crazy it's also immoral. But hey this is the wonderful world of football and whilst the prize money goes up, then so does the transfer value, 100 million is still crazy.

100m would not be crazy if he was already at the standard of Henry/Ronaldo. Paying that much because he might do that is crazy IMO.
Well if he was the standard of Ronaldo he would cost 200 million. We can't use the prices of yesteryear as a measure of what players cost today. If Mbappe is a talent in the same bracket as Henry and Ronaldo almost any price is justified, because that would mean he is a once in a generation talent. I cannot judge myself if he really has that potential, but it would seem that almost all clubs in the world think so.
Furthermore, I think that we mustn't mix up the exception of a once in a generation talent with the general problem City has introducing talents from the academy into the first team. None of our talents are once in a generation talents. Surely we need to become better at introducing these players. Real Madrid has shown how it can be done. We will see if we manage to make Foden, Sancho and Diaz first team players in the next 2-3 years.

Well if he was the standard of Ronaldo he would cost 200 million. We can't use the prices of yesteryear as a measure of what players cost today.

I'm not. £100m is an unprecedented transfer fee and we're already talking about comfortably exceeding that.

If Mbappe is a talent in the same bracket as Henry and Ronaldo almost any price is justified, because that would mean he is a once in a generation talent. I cannot judge myself if he really has that potential, but it would seem that almost all clubs in the world think so.

No club in the world can be 100% sure because there simply isn't enough available information to make that assertion. He's had one season in a lower class league in a counter attacking side that suits his pace.

Furthermore, I think that we mustn't mix up the exception of a once in a generation talent with the general problem City has introducing talents from the academy into the first team. None of our talents are once in a generation talents. Surely we need to become better at introducing these players. Real Madrid has shown how it can be done. We will see if we manage to make Foden, Sancho and Diaz first team players in the next 2-3 years.

Again, you haven't got enough information to make the assertion that our kids aren't once in a generation talents. If those players get the same first team as Mbappe has got then who's to say how well they may perform? It's the same logic as would suggest that Josh Harrop is a better player than Sancho because he has played and scored in the Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.