Lakey's Blue Tuesday question: Dearly Departed Players...

bluwes said:
Dave Wagstaffe to Wolves in 1964. I had only been going regularly for the previous two years under George Poyser.
Waggy was my first hero

Remember that game v. Spuds when Wagstaffe ran 'em ragged. Someone in the previous week had complained that Spuds were on MOTD too often (in the days when Spuds were the MANUre of the First division). Pasted them 6-2. What a game. What a player.

de niro said:
all the players that allison got rid of in his cull, he sold our crown jewels and bought a bag of shit.

perhaps the turning point in making a successful club drop in to oblivion.

This is the reason why we've spent the last 30 years in pain. What the fuck was he thinking getting rid of proven 1st Div players and replacing them with kids and expensive flops!!!

Kinky is the only player that I can remember when I was truly gutted that a player was leaving us, probably because he was the only class player we had and that we would be playing 3rd tier football the following season.

I dont think there has been a player named so far that I wasn't gutted to see leave.

However for me the ones that hurt the most were the young lads that came through the system. Micheal Hughes, Paul Simpson and Paul Moulden and Mike Sheron. It seemed like a couple of poor performances and whichever Manager at the time just couldn't wait to get shut.

Big up to you Lakey keep up the good work - as my username suggests you were my hero as a lad, proper gutted (not as much as you obviously) when you finally had to pack it in, although it was to retirement, it was you that i was most sorry to lose... and i shed a tear at your testimonial - sad day.

Others worth a mention who i was very sorry to lose Quinny (knew he would be successful at Sunderland) and Whitey (should have stayed and he knows it)...

Q: Which player were you most gutted to see leave Manchester City and why?

There have been many City players over the years I've been sad to see go, Richard Dunne is included in that. But the player that I was most upset to see leave was Tony Coton. During the Platt Lane days I was lucky enough to join in a kick about between yourself (Paul Lake) and Tony Coton when you were both recoving from various operations. I was about 10 or 11 and my old man was amazed to see me joining in a tap about. I was obsessed with goalkeeping as a kid and Coton being City's number 1, he was a real hero to me. I had a signed photo of TC and it took pride of place on my bedroom wall, but when I heard he'd signed for the rags I was devastated and nearly ripped it in half! My brother had to prise it out of my hands, but I've still got it somewhere. Like I say, there have been many to leave that I've not wanted to, but Coton stands out as he was probably my first City hero.

Bellamy's Caddy said:
Q: Which player were you most gutted to see leave Manchester City and why?

There have been many City players over the years I've been sad to see go, Richard Dunne is included in that. But the player that I was most upset to see leave was Tony Coton. During the Platt Lane days I was lucky enough to join in a kick about between yourself (Paul Lake) and Tony Coton when you were both recoving from various operations. I was about 10 or 11 and my old man was amazed to see me joining in a tap about. I was obsessed with goalkeeping as a kid and Coton being City's number 1, he was a real hero to me. I had a signed photo of TC and it took pride of place on my bedroom wall, but when I heard he'd signed for the rags I was devastated and nearly ripped it in half! My brother had to prise it out of my hands, but I've still got it somewhere. Like I say, there have been many to leave that I've not wanted to, but Coton stands out as he was probably my first City hero.

I totally sympathise. I was absolutely heartbroken. Anyone who knows me will know how much of an understatement that is!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.