Landlords and tenants thread

shevtheblue

Made this thread to share experiences from landlords and tenants, maybe people can get help if required as well.

We are landlords, but it's only for the first small house that we bought as a couple when we got married. We grew out of it and managed to borrow money and get another house, so put this on rent. My wife dealt with it all but she had no experience and didn't really bother reading up on it (massive mistake) and she found a woman who wanted a long term rental. She was on benefits but we were just happy that a family would be living there.
The deposit was put into a savings account instead of being put into a scheme (stupid) and we didn't have any of the certificates either (stupider). Everything went fine for a year or so until her benefits changed and she said she couldn't afford to live there. She asked us to evict her so she could get a council house, on her request we gave her a section 21 but it was rejected due to the above, obviously.
She then had a benefits completely stopped. Later to find out she should have been claiming Universal Credit, so we lost over 2 months of rent. Due to this, we agreed to speak to UC and get the payments sent direct to us, but they are unable to pay her arrears as she has other out goings that are more important. She has a job but now refuses to answer texts or calls about the money she owes, doesn't want to make any formal arrangements to pay and just says she will if she can. She wants to move out but has put it all on us.
She then went out of her way and got a section 239 against us for disrepair (which i will be going to visit today with the inspector, even though i know and he knows there is just normal wear and tear) but didn't both telling me she had spoken to them.
She agreed with us that we would give her the deposit for the property back, and she would return this to go against her arrears but then just kept the money and spent it, without any discussion or contact. So now we have a tenant who doesn't want to communicate, has 2 months arrears and no deposit. I have got the gas cert done, planning to have electric and EPC done this week but due to Covid it will take at least 6 months to evict her.

I suppose you get all sorts of people and live and learn, we made some big mistakes and most likely we will lose money due to it, but lesson's learnt and we'll probably try and sell as it's not worth the hassle.

One of the reasons I don’t want to get into buying and renting are cases like this, sure their are tosser landlords I know I’ve seen some horrific houses, but tenants no matter who they are and hold all the cards and they know it, even well to do ones I’ve heard screwing decent landlords over. My mate has some old couple renting his house absolute belting tenants but for every decent one I hear of 5 bad ones.

You really need to make sure as a landlord that you comply with your legal requirements, like deposits, EPC doc, gas certificate, etc otherwise the tenants have you over a barrel.
In my experience you can waive goodbye to any more money out of her.
You’ll get rammed for capital gains tax too when you sell it.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I don’t want to get into buying and renting are cases like this, sure their are tosser landlords I know I’ve seen some horrific houses, but tenants no matter who they are and hold all the cards and they know it, even well to do ones I’ve heard screwing decent landlords over. My mate has some old couple renting his house absolute belting tenants but for every decent one I hear of 5 bad ones.
Yep i have heard similar stories, but also for dickhead landlords who just completely ignore tenants. That's why i thought being nice and fair might get you somewhere, i've had no arguments at all with her and have tried to be as reasonable as possible, especially given the current situation.

You really need to make sure as a landlord that you comply with your legal requirements, like deposits, EPC doc, gas certificate, etc otherwise the tenants have you over a barrel.
You’ll get rammed for capital gains tax too when you sell it.
Yep, massive lesson learnt and we got ourselves in the situation by not doing that. Funnily enough i was speaking to this housing inspector who she rang to inspect the property, and he told me not to worry too much and get all the certs sorted and evict her. He reckons she is playing games to get her more points to get a council house, but i won't be helping her in anyway.

No DSS, regardless of circumstances, it's as simple as that and you hold those cards. You've been burnt badly and unfortunately won't ever receive the lost money, just try and get her out of there ASAP as amicably as possible, and use this as a tough life lesson going forward.

Being the nice guy hasn't worked out. Hope it gets sorted and you both get a better class of tenant next time around.

No DSS, regardless of circumstances, it's as simple as that and you hold those cards. You've been burnt badly and unfortunately won't ever receive the lost money, just try and get her out of there ASAP as amicably as possible, and use this as a tough life lesson going forward.

Being the nice guy hasn't worked out. Hope it gets sorted and you both get a better class of tenant next time around.
Yeah, tried the amicable approach but she's just using it against me. So i'll just get the certs and give her the notice as soon as its done, she can then have her 6 months and i'll at least be getting the universal credit payments. I have claimed arrears with UC and they said that if her circumstances change (no chance) the payments will begin. If i manage to get her out, i'll be speaking to UC to keep the arrears payments against her, unless she miraculously manages to pay them.

Some will be better to advise than me but I believe that if you don't put the deposit into he deposit scheme, the tenant can claim back every penny they have paid in rent.
I'd see if you can persuade her to go now by waiving the money owed and chucking her a few quid to get her set up in her new place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.