Last Film You Saw

Good, I'm glad you read and liked 'Ego'. It's not well known, but I think it's incredible writing.

I appreciate your opinion taking the reading of that into account.

I would say Matt Reeves' characterisation differs entirely from Nolan's depiction as Reeves puts character study over action and Nolan vice versa. The only time this changed was 'The Joker' entry for which Heath Ledger had a LOT of say over, which is rather telling.

And just before I finish that thought, Matt Reeves' 'The Batman' is only starting his arc for understanding his actions has consequences. Nolan's depiction doesn't achieve that. Even when we see the copy cats, Nolan's 'Bruce Wayne' doesn't connect the dots of his actions, whilst Reeves' does and thus his learning curve starts to get to that 'hero' status you're looking for.

Same with Serkis' 'Alfred Pennyworth', I would add; he's not started his true influence, yet.

My son made me re-watch "Batman Begins" a couple of weeks ago and my first impression was reinforced, but I respect your opinion.

Im confused how you say Nolan puts action over character....didnt you watch the first 40minutes of Begins?

Far more action in The Batman and, while I enjoyed it, it really does feel unnecessary drawn out. The opening sequence with the bat signal is all style with little substance. Only a noob is learning anything new there

Im confused how you say Nolan puts action over character....didnt you watch the first 40minutes of Begins?

Far more action in The Batman and, while I enjoyed it, it really does feel unnecessary drawn out. The opening sequence with the bat signal is all style with little substance. Only a noob is learning anything new there

Not sure building a character and character study amounts to the same thing? Nolan built his character by 'Bruce Wayne' fleetingly studying criminal aspects of life, but we don't know 'Bruce Wayne'.

Reeves flips this around, but in doing so, he strips 'The Batman' of his learning arc of fighting but places him in a PTSD state of 'kill or be killed'. We see this in the action sequences of how deranged and separated he is.

That it "feel(s) unnecessar(il)y drawn out is reflective of the mania of madness in the moment where he feels, somewhat, indestructible, in my opinion. Who else in their 'right mind' would put himself in those particular situations?

But, I do agree about the bat signal. That's Reeves reaching for originality somewhere.

Not sure building a character and character study amounts to the same thing? Nolan built his character by 'Bruce Wayne' fleetingly studying criminal aspects of life, but we don't know 'Bruce Wayne'.

Reeves flips this around, but in doing so, he strips 'The Batman' of his learning arc of fighting but places him in a PTSD state of 'kill or be killed'. We see this in the action sequences of how deranged and separated he is.

That it "feel(s) unnecessar(il)y drawn out is reflective of the mania of madness in the moment where he feels, somewhat, indestructible, in my opinion. Who else in their 'right mind' would put himself in those particular situations?

But, I do agree about the bat signal. That's Reeves reaching for originality somewhere.

"That it "feel(s) unnecessar(il)y drawn out is reflective of the mania of madness in the moment where he feels, somewhat, indestructible, in my opinion. Who else in their 'right mind' would put himself in those particular situations?"

We literally see Batman do this in every comic, movie, etc. Im starting to think you work for WB, trying to sell me my own pen!!

Fleetingly study.... he spent 7 years researching the criminal fraternity, he spent time with a gang, in prison and in a terrorist group..

Without denigrating your opinion, character studies often are quite long and slow moving and then having to tell a story? It is what it is.

'Batman: Ego' is probably worth having a read of to understand the inspiration.

Yeah true kept me interested storyline wise, Robert Pattinson though think he is one the best Batman out the lot..

Then best Batman films for me was the Christian Bale ones..

"That it "feel(s) unnecessar(il)y drawn out is reflective of the mania of madness in the moment where he feels, somewhat, indestructible, in my opinion. Who else in their 'right mind' would put himself in those particular situations?"

We literally see Batman do this in every comic, movie, etc. Im starting to think you work for WB, trying to sell me my own pen!!

Fleetingly study.... he spent 7 years researching the criminal fraternity, he spent time with a gang, in prison and in a terrorist group..

No, in the latest rendition we see a out of control state of mind compared to a studious art of being in a 'controlled' dangerous situation.

Reeves' 'The Batman' chances his fate without thought.

Nolan's more accomplished 'Batman' has studied martial arts, so has better control of his situation.

These are nuanced differences in states of mind.

No, in the latest rendition we see a out of control state of mind compared to a studious art of being in a 'controlled' dangerous situation.

Nolan's more accomplished 'Batman' has studied martial arts, so has better control of his situation.

The Batman was it set when he just became Batman?

Because the authorities didn’t like him one bit even treated him with distain..

Hmmm I was going to write a sarcastic comment about you mistaking The Batman for Wolverine...but you gave me an idea about where the sequel could go...

Perhaps the sequel could see Bruce, trying to be a better hero, seek out a mentor figure to better train him. Perhaps the movie could open with him going in all guns blazing and suffering a beatdown, he starts to inject himself more frequently with Venom to better fight but second act he goes to far, potentially killing a villain. He realizes he needs to quit venom and seeks out a mentor figure to fight the right way. Him becoming addicted to a drug would really further the Kurt Cobain influence that Reeves talked about

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, Richard Burton film, good, early sighting of George Smiley

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.