Last Film You Saw

Went to the Royal Exchange last week to see Let the Right One In, terrific cast with great moments and a bit of gore for good measure.

Watched the American remake of the original Swedish film/book which is called Let Me In to compare the 2 versions of the same story.

The story centres on a young loner who gets bullied at school and ignored at home as his parents go through a messy divorce.

Hanging outside his apartment he meets a girl sitting on the climbing frame in the dark. A series of gruesome murders take place and he makes a terrifying discovery about his new friend.

The girl is played by Chloe Moretz who was Hit Girl in Kick Ass. She's good at being enigmatic but neither she nor the boy really convey the emotional trauma of adolescence.

The 2 kids in the film are stated as 12, in the play they are older teens and I think that's where the play scores in their actors being more sympathetic and understandable.

That's not to say the film's bad I love the scene where a woman is taken to hospital after being attacked. After she's given hours of blood transfusions (clue there!!) she seems to wake up. Hungry.....

Looking forward to watching the original Swedish film soon, like the play it is extremely unsettling in dealing with themes of isolation, love, paedophilia/necrophilia as well as morality and retribution.

Went to the Royal Exchange last week to see Let the Right One In, terrific cast with great moments and a bit of gore for good measure.

Watched the American remake of the original Swedish film/book which is called Let Me In to compare the 2 versions of the same story.

The story centres on a young loner who gets bullied at school and ignored at home as his parents go through a messy divorce.

Hanging outside his apartment he meets a girl sitting on the climbing frame in the dark. A series of gruesome murders take place and he makes a terrifying discovery about his new friend.

The girl is played by Chloe Moretz who was Hit Girl in Kick Ass. She's good at being enigmatic but neither she nor the boy really convey the emotional trauma of adolescence.

The 2 kids in the film are stated as 12, in the play they are older teens and I think that's where the play scores in their actors being more sympathetic and understandable.

That's not to say the film's bad I love the scene where a woman is taken to hospital after being attacked. After she's given hours of blood transfusions (clue there!!) she seems to wake up. Hungry.....

Looking forward to watching the original Swedish film soon, like the play it is extremely unsettling in dealing with themes of isolation, love, paedophilia/necrophilia as well as morality and retribution.

I don't think I've seen the US version, but the Swedish film is very good. Not cheery though.

All quiet on the western front - netflix.

Not sure how I feel about this one. Very long, very drawn out. Elements were really good. Shot well but every scene just too long for me. A good one if you have time to kill. 6/10.
I just re-watched The assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford.

Now there is a long drawn out film :) I think it's a love it or hate it.
I love it. Excellent performances by Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck.

3rd time I've seen it. I took particular notice of the atmospheric and daunting music this time (by Nick Cave).
Very atmospheric movie.

3rd time I've seen it. I took particular notice of the atmospheric and daunting music this time (by Nick Cave).
Very atmospheric movie.
What’s it about?

Very atmospheric movie.
The fact that Pitt won an Oscar for essentially playing himself in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" but didn't even receive a nomination for this performance (or BAFTA or Golden Globes) illustrates how truly absurd and arbitrary the whole Acting Awards thing is. Beautifully understated acting.

All quiet on the western front - netflix.

Not sure how I feel about this one. Very long, very drawn out. Elements were really good. Shot well but every scene just too long for me. A good one if you have time to kill. 6/10.
Brutal film.

The fact that Pitt won an Oscar for essentially playing himself in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" but didn't even receive a nomination for this performance (or BAFTA or Golden Globes) illustrates how truly absurd and arbitrary the whole Acting Awards thing is. Beautifully understated acting.
Brad Pitt said in an interview that TAOJJBTCRF was his favourite film he starred in, and the best acting performance in his career.

Roger Deakins (the Cinematographer) said the train robbery sequence was his favourite sequence he ever filmed and put together on celluloid.

Nick Cave/Warren Ellis said the musical score for the film was their favourite one they produced so far.

All in all, TAOJJBTCRF (2007).
v63gjVo.gif

z6Oeedi.gif

Narrator: "Rooms seemed hotter when he was in them. Rain fell straighter. Clocks slowed. Sounds were amplified."

Last edited:
Brad Pitt said in an interview that TAOJJBTCRF was his favourite film he starred in, and the best acting performance in his career.

Roger Deakins (the Cinematographer) said the train robbery sequence was his favourite sequence he ever filmed and put together on celluloid.

Nick Cave/Warren Ellis said the musical score for the film was their favourite one they produced so far.

All in all, TAOJJBTCRF (2007).
v63gjVo.gif

z6Oeedi.gif

Narrator: "Rooms seemed hotter when he was in them. Rain fell straighter. Clocks slowed. Sounds were amplified."
The train robbery was a brilliant bit of filming.
Deakins is an English guy who has worked a lot with the Coen brothers.

Wikipedia.

One of the most well-known sequences of the film is the scene of a train robbery at night time. Cinematographer Roger Deakins used various cinematographic techniques to give the train more of a presence when it was in pitch darkness. The idea was to generate a sense of foreboding atmosphere by using only the lanterns held up by the outlaws and the 5K PAR light mounted on the front of the train[19] In order to enhance the blacks, Deakins did a slight bleach bypass on the negative, which was especially important in terms of rendering detail.[

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.