Last Film You Saw

I'm really struggling with watching films at the moment.

There's a load of 'classics' I want to watch, some old school some more contemporary and I also want to watch some of my favourite again (like Manhunter, The Conversation, Vertigo etc etc).

Time is one issue, a load of quality TV series another but also the spectres of 'Paradox of Choice' and purchasing films (I already pay enough for the various streamers....and are these paid for films stored permanently for you somewhere?).

With that said, I've just stuck 'The Drop' on and the reviews seem favourable.

47 Metres Down

Nice cheeky B movie shot on a low budget of 5 million, but it's on Netflix so it must be good, right? Having seen the shallows and spent a bit of my own time below the oggin I decided to give it a go, even if all the luvvie online reviews suggested otherwise .. apparantly a bit of a Marmite affair.

Basically the director lumps the viewer directly into the action, without spending half the film weaving character intros. Instead he executes the characters primary objective by keeping things plain and simple. Within five minutes of the film beginning, we both knew why our lead characters Lisa and Kate were on holiday together and the dynamics that has existed between them in the past.

So to compress .. our intrpid duo are are trapped in a shark cage at the bottom of the ocean, with less than an hour of oxygen left with great white sharks circling and must fight to survive insurmountable odds, especially as one of them has no dive experiance and only along for the photos to entice her MIA boyfriend back into active service.

Back in the day I was in a similar situation, although not trapped in a shark cage was buddied by a wire to my partner on a dive off Falmouth. Anyway, a blinding mass of dense gristle flashed before us, appearing to the untrained eye to be a shark, my uncouplement was complete within seconds as I headed for surface faster than a scene from Das Boot. My buddie that I left behind was fatter than me, so I knew I had a good few minutes to make it to the dive craft. (turned out to be a dolphin called Beaky) .. but how was I to know and anyway the cemetry's full of dead heroes)

Our yelps and screams as the film progressed drew us both to the edge of our seats, whilst the atmospherics and soundtrack remained immense. I even liked this film more than the shallows and felt that it pissed over Jaws.

I score it a good 7.5/10

Last edited:
I thought it was somewhere in between crap and ok. My mrs and son loved it.
It's absolutely divisive. As witnessed in this thread.

I loved In Bruges but thought Inisherin was like a B movie (or TV movie) with 2 really good actors in it. I couldn't believe someone would make a film about such a weak storyline,
a guy chops his fingers off because another guy keeps talking to him. So the other guy in retaliation burns his house down.

Cue someone telling me it's much deeper than that on some phycological and artistic level :-)

And yeah yeah, the scenery was good (but there's miles better)

Last edited:
Was loving The Banshees of Inisherin until the ridiculous element of digit chopping came into play. When has that scenario ever happened in the history of mankind? Just lost all credibility from then on. Which was a shame because some great acting and wonderful scenery involved in the film.
I agree that it'd be a better film if that wasn't there. But I still enjoyed it. Especially the sister brother relationship.

The Shop Around The Corner. A 40s movie that holds up very well today. I'd definitely recommend it.

The Cowboys
John Wayne, Bruce Dern.
Excellent Western, where a rancher uses schoolboys to drive his cattle herd 400 miles. Entertaining, slightly comedic and violent.
8.1/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.