League Cup Final - Hart or Pantilimon?

cibaman said:
Can anyone explain where this mantra that the goalkeeper that played in the earlier rounds has to play in the final originated from?

Its common practice to play a weaker team in the earlier rounds of the domestic cups, particularly against lower league opposition. But when it comes to the later rounds, or against stronger opposition, teams tend to pick close to their strongest team. There might be some rotation if, for example, they have a tough CL match in midweek following the final but that's about it.

Absolutely nobody seems to be suggesting that Boyata or Garcia have to start on Sunday just because they've played most of the earlier rounds. Or suggesting that it would be an outrage if Kompany, Silva and Aguero (if fit) started having not "contributed" in the competition so far.

Why is the gk position so different?
Sense will not be tolerated in this thread

cibaman said:
Can anyone explain where this mantra that the goalkeeper that played in the earlier rounds has to play in the final originated from?

Its common practice to play a weaker team in the earlier rounds of the domestic cups, particularly against lower league opposition. But when it comes to the later rounds, or against stronger opposition, teams tend to pick close to their strongest team. There might be some rotation if, for example, they have a tough CL match in midweek following the final but that's about it.

Absolutely nobody seems to be suggesting that Boyata or Garcia have to start on Sunday just because they've played most of the earlier rounds. Or suggesting that it would be an outrage if Kompany, Silva and Aguero (if fit) started having not "contributed" in the competition so far.

It's not and I totally agree with you. For me at this stage you play your best team and that must include Hart as he is clearly our number one.

If players get upset then tough shit.

cibaman said:

Spot on. Pantilimon and numerous other squad players have done their job of giving the first team a bit of rest in the earlier rounds. And it's now time for them to all step aside and let the best 11 get on with the job of securing the trophy.

I would choose Hart, but after seeing Pantilimon being selected in the crucial FA cup match against Chelsea, I think Pellegrini will stick with Panti for the League Cup final..

sincity said:
I would choose Hart, but after seeing Pantilimon being selected in the crucial FA cup match against Chelsea, I think Pellegrini will stick with Panti for the League Cup final..
Mancini selected Pants for the semi last year in the FA Cup which I would say was crucial against.....................................

Just because Pantillimon started the other games doesn't mean he should start in the final.

Exactly the same for Lopes!

Pantilimon.

The goalkeeper position is such a delicate one, and an entire season could be gone out the window if a team looses their first choice keeper. To have a top quality second keeper is next to impossible for obvious reasons, so I feel we, and as other clubs (Barcelona, Real Madrid) are doing the right thing in letting Costel play the internal cup games.
We are very lucky to have a Costel as our "second" keeper, who's good enough quality to be a first choice keeper at many other decent clubs. He is a great asset to us and should be protected.

So I think he should play. Why?
1) To keep him happy and content with being a part of our squad
2) Because he is good enough.
3) To send out a signal to future keepers whom we might sign, that all though we have England's nr.1 guarding our goal there will still be a lot of games to play, and some of them rather big, such as cup finals.

And you simply cannot compare playing Pantilimon instead of Hart with playing Boyata instead of Zabaleta. There is a huge difference in quality.

Hart is the better keeper, but Costel is good enough.

BlueTG said:
Pantilimon has been just as uncomfortable as how with some situations in goal as Joe before, and Joe is the better of the two and has been looking much better since his dropping. Play your best team IMO.

As the "making it up to him" for the fa cup final, we owe him nothing for that. Players who give interviews stating their desire to leave, no matter how reasonable or justified, in the build up to a cup final where squad unity was already no -existent, should expect to be dropped. The only bollock dropped in that team selection issue was from Pantilimon opening his mouth at the wrong time.

I concur.... as soon as I heard that interview I said Hart should play.

Pants all day long for me. Much better command of the box and superior distribution.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.