League or Champions League?

Which would you rather win?

• Total voters
PL is always my first choice, FA Cup 2nd choice, CL is down in third for me as I think it’s a lottery. The PL is a true test of the ‘Team and squad’.

Fringe squad for the league cup to keep players sharp, take it round by round in the FA Cup. We managed all 4 well last season and didn't burn out at any stage and the squad is arguably stronger this season.
I’m not sure I agree with you on burn out. After the Chelsea thrashing on 10 feb I don’t think we were at our fluent best for the remainder of the season, apart from the shalke game. It was a case of grinding out results. I can’t say for sure that fatigue cost us the Cl tie against Spurs, but with the sort of schedule we had there was always the likelihood of a poor performance just when we couldn’t afford it.

I’m not sure I agree with you on burn out. After the Chelsea thrashing on 10 feb I don’t think we were at our fluent best for the remainder of the season, apart from the shalke game. It was a case of grinding out results. I can’t say for sure that fatigue cost us the Cl tie against Spurs, but with the sort of schedule we had there was always the likelihood of a poor performance just when we couldn’t afford it.
Nobody is at their best at that stage of the season though, you're either involved in a draining dogfight domestically or you're rusty from walking away with your league. I doubt we could have managed the cups any better last season. We only picked strong teams when we had to and our use of fringe players kept them sharp for when they were needed.

The Champions league is a sham it's a contrived trophy full of teams who didn't win their respective leagues, for me the domestic trophies mean a lot more. That said I was on the edge of my seat watching the spurs game.

You must be young or from abroad to think they are of equal importance :-). Premier League triple (and by that you mean Top Flight triple) means we will be one year away from setting a record NEVER been done before - 4 on the trot. (A bit like our record of holding all domestic honours - only ever done before by Preston and Villa in the 19th Century when there were only 2 trophies to play for). That isn't "equally wonderful" than winning a corrupt cup - that is 100 times more important. Personally my only interest in Chumps League is to shut people up who say we haven't won it. But in truth there is absolutely no comparison in winning Domestic League over some trumped up Euro Cup
i can't disagree (apart from the young or from abroad, i'm neither ;)) but can only apologise for my candor in appreciating what an achievement winning a triple really is - yes, it would be something else ;)

It's always been the challenge - something Cloughie acknowledged before the Premier League - seems only to be those who have failed to win it who belittle it :D

But yes, to shut up all those twats - that would be reason enough to bring it back to Manchester :)

i can't disagree (apart from the young or from abroad, i'm neither ;)) but can only apologise for my candor in appreciating what an achievement winning a triple really is - yes, it would be something else ;)

It's always been the challenge, above and beyond everything else, to win the league - something Cloughie acknowledged before the Premier League - seems only to be those who have failed to win it who belittle it :D

But yes, to shut up all those twats - that would be reason enough to bring it back to Manchester :)

If you win the CL, having only won one game, you'll have performed a miracle. Getting out of the group with a maximum of 3 points would be some achievement.

I do know what you're getting at. But it's an oversimplification to say you only need to win the final. I'd say four wins (three in the group stage), then draws all the way to the final, getting through on away goals or penalties)

6 games in the group not 3. Win 1 draw 5 and then draw all games including the final and win each on pens.

6 games in the group not 3. Win 1 draw 5 and then draw all games including the final and win each on pens.
That is do-able; you have a point. However, finishing with only 8 points in the group would mean you'd be highly unlikely to win the group. That then means a (on paper) tougher first knockout stage game. Which lengthens the odds of getting through without "winning" a game. Not impossible, though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.