Led Zeppelin

Quite like them.

Saw them live last year and they were OK; not amazing but they could develop into something. I have tipped them to be big in the past so that was probably the kiss of death.

The closest I came to seeing them was at Live Aid. I thought it was great at the time but then again I was probably in a similar state to Jimmy Paige on the day.

Saw them at Manchester Uni in '69, twice in a week at the Free Trade Hall and Belle Vue but can't remember which year and at the Hardrock on Greatstone Road.

Re the Hardrock, Bowie opened it (was there) also saw Lou Reed, Focus, ELP, J Geils Band, Quo, Nazareth. McCartney, 10cc, Rod Stewart plus many more there
Saw Rod Stewart many times in the 70's including with the Faces but always at Belle Vue

Saw Zep in the Students Union hall at Manchester Uni in the spring of 1971. Now I like my rock to be good and loud, but it was a low-ceilinged hall, and it really was deafening. We were also packed in like sardines, and it was unbelievably hot. Glad to have been there, though. Historic. True to form, Bonzo picked out some heckler in the crowd with his drumstick and told him to “belt up!”. I think for two shakes he would have like to have gone down there and sorted him out.
Very jealous of anyone who saw the Earls Court gigs. The footage of them playing acoustically on the triple DVD is simply celestial. Plant's voice is a miracle. I was puzzled as to why I didn't go to those, and then I realised — I was far away in Africa at that point, backpacking for a year around the continent.
That was some spring in 1971. About a month later, I saw the Stones, who hadn't toured for about two years I think, at the Free Trade Hall.

Saw Zep in the Students Union hall at Manchester Uni in the spring of 1971. Now I like my rock to be good and loud, but it was a low-ceilinged hall, and it really was deafening. We were also packed in like sardines, and it was unbelievably hot. Glad to have been there, though. Historic. True to form, Bonzo picked out some heckler in the crowd with his drumstick and told him to “belt up!”. I think for two shakes he would have like to have gone down there and sorted him out.
Very jealous of anyone who saw the Earls Court gigs. The footage of them playing acoustically on the triple DVD is simply celestial. Plant's voice is a miracle. I was puzzled as to why I didn't go to those, and then I realised — I was far away in Africa at that point, backpacking for a year around the continent.
That was some spring in 1971. About a month later, I saw the Stones, who hadn't toured for about two years I think, at the Free Trade Hall.

I wish I'd seen them at Earls Court but I was a little too young for that. A guy at Uni is the year above me had been to one of those gigs and would mention it from time to time.

Eventually saw them at Knebworth.

I finally acquired their debut album on CD yesterday (the deluxe reissue); I've long had all the tracks off it on cd on their box sets.

I always ranked Zep I as my least favourite studio album but hearing all the tracks in sequence for the first time in decades made me what an amazing debut it is. It might even have moved past In Through the Out Door in my ranking but ranking their albums is pointless; albeit Physical Graffiti does stand as my favourite album by anyone, ever.

The Live at Paris Olympia cd that comes with the deluxe Zep I is well worth hearing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.