Led Zeppelin

Manchester University Students Union, either round Christmas 1970, or maybe January 1971. We were packed in like the proverbial sardines, I don’t think I’ve ever been so hot at a rock concert. With my girlfriend of the time. A wall of sound in a hall with a low ceiling. My ears rang for fully twenty-four hours. That was a good winter: a month or two later, Stones at Free Trade Hall, with Groundhogs as openers.
I’m just about to retire, and I still put those albums on with huge pleasure. All of them, but especially Physical Graffiti. The eternal adolescent (although I don’t stoop to playing air guitar along with Jimmy’s solos).
The Groundhogs, now they were a band

My word, but my memory really is playing tricks on me. Led Zep was in March, and the Stones concert was not two months, but two weeks after that! March was a good month to be in Manchester that year. Can’t remember where we were sitting in the league, but we were doing fairly well, as I remember it (although I clearly can’t trust it - was that the year we completely smashed the rags at their place, and Best ended Glyn Pardoe’s career with a lousy tackle, I wonder?)
Several of the lads I was at school with who went to the Stones gig reckoned that Groundhogs played the better set. Pure blues band, very good at what did, but a more limited range, imo. And Mick is Mick, and Keith is Keith. Glad to have seen them before they became a parody of themselves.

11r7uxu.jpg

My word, but my memory really is playing tricks on me. Led Zep was in March, and the Stones concert was not two months, but two weeks after that! March was a good month to be in Manchester that year. Can’t remember where we were sitting in the league, but we were doing fairly well, as I remember it (although I clearly can’t trust it - was that the year we completely smashed the rags at their place, and Best ended Glyn Pardoe’s career with a lousy tackle, I wonder?)
Several of the lads I was at school with who went to the Stones gig reckoned that Groundhogs played the better set. Pure blues band, very good at what did, but a more limited range, imo. And Mick is Mick, and Keith is Keith. Glad to have seen them before they became a parody of themselves.
Have you seen them recently (the Stones)? They were still pretty bloody good when we saw them early June.

Robbie Williams is "blasting Black Sabbath music" to torment his rock star neighbour Jimmy Page over their bitter home extension row, according to a complaint to their local council.

The Take That singer won a five-year battle when he was granted conditional approval last year to build a basement swimming pool at his London home.

Page fears excavation work will damage his 1875 Grade-I listed mansion.

Williams is also said to be imitating Page's former bandmate Robert Plant.

A letter to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea states that as well as playing Sabbath, the singer has been playing Pink Floyd and Deep Purple songs at high volume, as "he knows this upsets" the 75-year-old Led Zeppelin guitarist.

The two stars live next door to each other in Holland Park - Williams's home used to belong to film director and restaurant critic Michael Winner.

It is not publicly known who wrote the complaint, which is signed "Johnny".

The correspondent adds that Williams has also dressed up to imitate Plant by "wearing a long hair wig, and stuffing a pillow under his shirt in an attempt to mock or imitate Mr Robert Plant's beer belly that he has acquired in his older age".

This is "embarrassing", the letter continues, because "Mr Plant was remembered for performing with his shirt open on stage, and obviously he cannot perform in his current condition as it would be very embarrassing".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46855232

Robbie Williams is "blasting Black Sabbath music" to torment his rock star neighbour Jimmy Page over their bitter home extension row, according to a complaint to their local council.

The Take That singer won a five-year battle when he was granted conditional approval last year to build a basement swimming pool at his London home.

Page fears excavation work will damage his 1875 Grade-I listed mansion.

Williams is also said to be imitating Page's former bandmate Robert Plant.

A letter to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea states that as well as playing Sabbath, the singer has been playing Pink Floyd and Deep Purple songs at high volume, as "he knows this upsets" the 75-year-old Led Zeppelin guitarist.

The two stars live next door to each other in Holland Park - Williams's home used to belong to film director and restaurant critic Michael Winner.

It is not publicly known who wrote the complaint, which is signed "Johnny".

The correspondent adds that Williams has also dressed up to imitate Plant by "wearing a long hair wig, and stuffing a pillow under his shirt in an attempt to mock or imitate Mr Robert Plant's beer belly that he has acquired in his older age".

This is "embarrassing", the letter continues, because "Mr Plant was remembered for performing with his shirt open on stage, and obviously he cannot perform in his current condition as it would be very embarrassing".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46855232
Williams should be fucking thankful he has money from music at all. He is a desperately crap pop artist. I am also sick to fucking death of his desire for validation every day. Many of us have a dodgy head, we just don't have unwarranted millions to cushion us on the bad days. Nor do we have mates in the media ready to do a boo-hoo poor me piece every now and then, urgh, piss off you soft twat.

Also, Page is arguably the greatest guitarist in a band that is thought by many to be the greatest rock group who ever existed. Not that Black Sabbath are no mugs but isn't that a bit like finishing second in the league and then weirdly rubbing it in the nose of the champions?. Williams, you make no sense on any level, please bugger off.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.