Leeds (H) | PL | Post-Match Thread

'A penalty taker is a penalty taker'​

FT: Man City 2-1 Leeds
74d215d1-1b6a-4091-8523-c65e2179b1e8.jpg

Manchester City
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Match of the Day: "We played an exceptional game. Our possession game was really good. First half was exceptional. We were maybe not as clinical as we should be. The second half, we cannot forget it is three games in six days with a lot of mental pressure. After Arsenal we were drained a bit and we kept going against Fulham and West Ham - tough opponents. At the end, the game could be over with the penalty. But they score and we have to suffer. But we played really, really good.
"I would say it was a comfortable game for him [Ilkay Gundogan] because he was not pressed much. But Gundo... what can I say? He can do everything. As a holding or attacking midfielder, he is so intelligent. We are delighted to have him."
On the penalty, and telling Erling Haaland he should take it: "The game is not over. It shows how nice and generous Erling is. If it is 4-0 with 10 minutes left, OK. But at 2-0? Erling is the best penalty taker right now so he has to take it.
"Today Erling could have scored two or three goals. He played incredibly well, in his movement and everything... how he fought for us. I like to praise Erling when he does not score. If Gundo scores everyone is 'OK, hat-trick, well done'. But a taker is a taker. At 2-0, this is a business, not a situation where we cannot forget it."

Well we won but didn’t half make hard work of it. Giving Gundogan the penalty was a load of bollocks
Agree - it smacked of showboating and we don’t do that - I’m fairly certain Pep will clarify things - 3 pts though and we move on, hopefully MardArsenal will drop points tomorrow

If Haaland is on the pitch, he should take the penalty. Disrespectful to the opposition and potentially could have cost us points.

Reminded me of of Kun’s howler against Chelsea which contributed to them winning a game which was over, a subsequent FA cups semi and the CL.

Pep will be absolutely livid.
Disrespectful to the opposition, really?
Whilst I feel haaland should have taken it, city's captain and German international having a motm performance doesn't strike me as disrespectful

Some are voting him MOTM because he got 2 assists. Even his assists were passes backwards. How KDB hasn’t chinned him over the past few years is beyond me. The amount of times he over/underlaps Mahrez and doesn’t receive the pass is unreal.
Agreed. His 2 assists covered up another poor performance IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.