Leeds (H) | Post Match Thread

I think for me it's confirmed what I thought in November/December that a lot of people on here don't actually enjoy football.

It's a really unfortunate by-product of Pep's tenure, and probably the 18/19 title race is creating a mental state where winning, getting the 3 points, is the bare minimum and anything less is a disaster.

You can see it in the match threads, people are unhappy from the first minute because it starts 0-0. It's only acceptable to be positive if we're 2+ goals up because if it's 0-0 everything is shit, and if it's 1-0 then it's only a matter of time before they equalise and everything is shit.

It just breeds misery.

I enjoyed the Leeds game. The first half was really back and forth, the tactical battle was really interesting with Leeds' insane man v man system - so strict that at one point Mendy jogged over to the RW and Rafinha followed him. The red card killed that match, which was a shame, but the absolute barrage we subjected them to was still entertaining, especially as they had a threat on the break. I enjoyed seeing Torres and Aké play, I enjoyed seeing Zinchenko get a chance in midfield, I loved seeing Fernandinho enjoy himself going forwards and Stones realising he was the free man when Bamford went off so he could play as an attacking midfielder.

I wish we'd won and found the breakthrough, and the missed chances are annoying, but at the end of the day it was a good game of football and I enjoy watching football. It's got very little bearing on the rest of the season so I'm not going to act like the sky is falling because we lost a game.

Unfortunately, when you create this mentality where the only time you enjoy football is when we've won by 2+ goals and are 14+ points ahead in the title race, you're not going to enjoy 90% of the season.

I mean seriously, if you can't be happy when City are 11 points clear, leading a CL quarter final, in the FA Cup semi final and the League Cup final then when are you ever going to be happy?
Some people whether it's football, life, work, whatever are only happy when moaning. Actually there're clearly not happy when moaning, but it's that habitual it's the default mode for all things.

Football at the end of the day is supposed to be fun, something to escape to.

Your last sentence is particularly relevant. I don't think I've ever seen such a hysterical reaction to a result from fans of a team in such a position of strength, following the run we've been on, with the team we've got.

Enjoy the ride folks - we might never be in this position again.

I think for me it's confirmed what I thought in November/December that a lot of people on here don't actually enjoy football.

It's a really unfortunate by-product of Pep's tenure, and probably the 18/19 title race is creating a mental state where winning, getting the 3 points, is the bare minimum and anything less is a disaster.

You can see it in the match threads, people are unhappy from the first minute because it starts 0-0. It's only acceptable to be positive if we're 2+ goals up because if it's 0-0 everything is shit, and if it's 1-0 then it's only a matter of time before they equalise and everything is shit.

It just breeds misery.

I enjoyed the Leeds game. The first half was really back and forth, the tactical battle was really interesting with Leeds' insane man v man system - so strict that at one point Mendy jogged over to the RW and Rafinha followed him. The red card killed that match, which was a shame, but the absolute barrage we subjected them to was still entertaining, especially as they had a threat on the break. I enjoyed seeing Torres and Aké play, I enjoyed seeing Zinchenko get a chance in midfield, I loved seeing Fernandinho enjoy himself going forwards and Stones realising he was the free man when Bamford went off so he could play as an attacking midfielder.

I wish we'd won and found the breakthrough, and the missed chances are annoying, but at the end of the day it was a good game of football and I enjoy watching football. It's got very little bearing on the rest of the season so I'm not going to act like the sky is falling because we lost a game.

Unfortunately, when you create this mentality where the only time you enjoy football is when we've won by 2+ goals and are 14+ points ahead in the title race, you're not going to enjoy 90% of the season.

I mean seriously, if you can't be happy when City are 11 points clear, leading a CL quarter final, in the FA Cup semi final and the League Cup final then when are you ever going to be happy?
Its a good point this...

There may well be some JCL's that expect us to roll everyone over every week but there's also an element of expectations having been raised.

We have seen greatness and when the team performs at less than great levels it draws a an exagerated sense of disappointment.

I still think everyone is entitled to have an opinion on the teams performance. It wasn't good enough especially the front 3rd and denying this is surely nonsense. However much we want Jesus and Sterlling to succeed, there can be no denying that the form of both of them has been patchy at best and at times very poor.

However good our all around play is, at team without a clinical cutting edge can turn into Late Wenger era Arsenal and that looks like a path we might be on. The stats don't lie, we need better chance conversion to trully compete at the very top level. Lets hope it gets fixed soon, the Sergio era is now passed sadly, we need a genuine world class replacement.

This forum is going to be miserable once Pep goes and we go back to Mancini and Pellegrini levels.

Guardiola is City's edge, once he goes we are pretty much fucked.

He is extracting absolutely maximum out of this squad. This squad is not extraordinary like his Barca squad was with once in lifetime players like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and generational players like Puyol, Pique, Alves, Alba.

With City, only De Bruyne fits that list of players.

Transfer policy has been piss poor and I have said this for years.

City are far too dependent on Guardiola for success and this is not good long term. We need more genuinely top class talent in the squad, players who can carry a team regardless of coach to minimise dependence on manager.

Last edited:
Same. I’ve given up trying to explain to those in hysterics that the team selection was spot on, even with the benefit of hindsight and knowing we lost the game. We have 4 games now where the rotation will be minimal, maybe no more than 3 per game, then heavy changes against Crystal Palace. The rotation v Leeds was crucial to give us any chance whatsoever of getting through the next 4 games still in the CL and FA Cup and with a trophy in the bag. Our chances of an unprecedented (and almost impossible) quadruple actually INCREASED this weekend, as 7 key players got the rest they need to keep it within the realms of possibility.
AND, no injuries.

Sterling should bench in every big game forver! I can't stand him anymore. Starting him is criminal.

With the Fern example you miss the point. Again.

And explain why Pep needed to study 20hrs? I can’t looking at the starting line up. And tbh I think it’s simply a remark trying to impress Bielsa. It would be typical Pep and you would know if you’ve read the books about him.

And if I’m not wrong you don’t challenge Peps starting line up, but the tempo in which it was played. It was. Because of the line up. Simply my opinion as a fan trying to figure out why someone who stated Leeds was the worst team in between two CL-games and “studying” Leeds for 20hrs and asking a lot from his players to always take the next match seriously, played a starting line up with too many players out of form or without a reasonable amount of match fit minutes. And out of possession within these kinda players. To me that is not taking the game seriously. And it’s not about the result who by itself developed in a way nobody would have predicted. Because we could have won the game. Easily tbh.

Honestly, I have no idea what you chuntered on about!

For anybody who thinks reading a book about Guardiola fails to understand how he evolves each place he goes. So, if you're basing your 'knowledge' on the past, guess what? It's redundant!

If the Prem was a cake walk, do you think he'd have stayed so long? Nah, it presents different challenges against opposition that learns pretty quickly instead of the bog standard Bundesliga/ La Liga where teams decide to play as they against the bigger teams.

But about the players, the tempo wasn't that bad in the second half, but they got in each other's way a bit and then decided to figure out when the best place/ position to pass or shoot.

It was 'one of those days'.

I reckon we'll survive, eh...?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.