Leeds (H) | Post Match Thread

Beating Leeds with a "full strength" team would have piled more pressure on not taken any off. Would the same team have trotted out at Dortmund and then again at Wembley on Saturday? And what about Villa on the following Wednesday? DD is perfectly correct that Pep does most certainly not "make it up as he goes along". The club's avowed aim is to compete for every trophy and that involves playing a maximum of 60+ games, in a very condensed season this season. We have assemled a squad of high quality to make this possible. Pep has to take an overview of the season and plan in detail as circumstances change. The paradox is that, as Pep says, every game is equally important but circumstances dictate which games are more urgent. He will have planned the changes to be made in advance in the light of circumstances and I don't think anyone would argue that we need our "best" eleven to be freshest and fittest for Dortmund since defeat may well mean elimination and the end of a dream. But he will also have a good idea of the eleven to start against Chelsea and even Villa. And Spurs. Squad management (Rotation!) is not a panicky, last minute manoeuvre but a long term, flexible affair and Pep is better at it than anyone else.
What you say requires critical thinking though and there’s not a lot of that about on here right now.

That was a good reality check, we aren't winning by divine rite. Tough to take and was similar to two seasons ago. I would like to see us play a bit more like the sitting/counter team again Dortmund.

Maybe I'm cautious overly cautious but after two clear warnings of Leeds breaks in the ten mins running up to their winner, I would have slowed the whole thing down and just taken the point with a lesson learnt.
Agreed. After missing chance after chance, I had accepted that we could play into the night and not score.
I said to 'she who must be ignored' that's that, I'll take the point...... 12 seconds later they run up the field and sucker punch us.

I find myself amused by the levels of hysteria.

I think for me it's confirmed what I thought in November/December that a lot of people on here don't actually enjoy football.

It's a really unfortunate by-product of Pep's tenure, and probably the 18/19 title race is creating a mental state where winning, getting the 3 points, is the bare minimum and anything less is a disaster.

You can see it in the match threads, people are unhappy from the first minute because it starts 0-0. It's only acceptable to be positive if we're 2+ goals up because if it's 0-0 everything is shit, and if it's 1-0 then it's only a matter of time before they equalise and everything is shit.

It just breeds misery.

I enjoyed the Leeds game. The first half was really back and forth, the tactical battle was really interesting with Leeds' insane man v man system - so strict that at one point Mendy jogged over to the RW and Rafinha followed him. The red card killed that match, which was a shame, but the absolute barrage we subjected them to was still entertaining, especially as they had a threat on the break. I enjoyed seeing Torres and Aké play, I enjoyed seeing Zinchenko get a chance in midfield, I loved seeing Fernandinho enjoy himself going forwards and Stones realising he was the free man when Bamford went off so he could play as an attacking midfielder.

I wish we'd won and found the breakthrough, and the missed chances are annoying, but at the end of the day it was a good game of football and I enjoy watching football. It's got very little bearing on the rest of the season so I'm not going to act like the sky is falling because we lost a game.

Unfortunately, when you create this mentality where the only time you enjoy football is when we've won by 2+ goals and are 14+ points ahead in the title race, you're not going to enjoy 90% of the season.

I mean seriously, if you can't be happy when City are 11 points clear, leading a CL quarter final, in the FA Cup semi final and the League Cup final then when are you ever going to be happy?

The result is what it is yeah disappointing but 11 points is 11 points clear. If we don't god forbid beat Dortmund then questions will be asked no doubt. I would have liked to see KDB Foden etc get 20 mins out of the Leeds game... may have killed it off who knows great with hindsight... anyway onwards and upward Come on City lets beat the Germans!

This thread is a depressing wake-up call as to how many forum regulars know nothing whatsoever ever football.

I make no great claims to knowing much about the game, in fact I often realise how little I do know, but that's why I am happy to trust in the guy that understands the game better than most people on the planet, as in maybe everyone but Bielsa ;-)

I think for me it's confirmed what I thought in November/December that a lot of people on here don't actually enjoy football.

It's a really unfortunate by-product of Pep's tenure, and probably the 18/19 title race is creating a mental state where winning, getting the 3 points, is the bare minimum and anything less is a disaster.

You can see it in the match threads, people are unhappy from the first minute because it starts 0-0. It's only acceptable to be positive if we're 2+ goals up because if it's 0-0 everything is shit, and if it's 1-0 then it's only a matter of time before they equalise and everything is shit.

It just breeds misery.

I enjoyed the Leeds game. The first half was really back and forth, the tactical battle was really interesting with Leeds' insane man v man system - so strict that at one point Mendy jogged over to the RW and Rafinha followed him. The red card killed that match, which was a shame, but the absolute barrage we subjected them to was still entertaining, especially as they had a threat on the break. I enjoyed seeing Torres and Aké play, I enjoyed seeing Zinchenko get a chance in midfield, I loved seeing Fernandinho enjoy himself going forwards and Stones realising he was the free man when Bamford went off so he could play as an attacking midfielder.

I wish we'd won and found the breakthrough, and the missed chances are annoying, but at the end of the day it was a good game of football and I enjoy watching football. It's got very little bearing on the rest of the season so I'm not going to act like the sky is falling because we lost a game.

Unfortunately, when you create this mentality where the only time you enjoy football is when we've won by 2+ goals and are 14+ points ahead in the title race, you're not going to enjoy 90% of the season.

I mean seriously, if you can't be happy when City are 11 points clear, leading a CL quarter final, in the FA Cup semi final and the League Cup final then when are you ever going to be happy?

I was more annoyed by the goals conceded than the misses but I agree with you.

Watched the game again,and i'm gonna file under bad day at the office.

We had plenty of chances,even more possession,and a tad of bad luck.We should have had a penalty and their keeper was bang on his game as was the Leeds entire defensive unit.

One noticeable thing,yet again,our final ball and decision making is absolutely shocking for a team of our quality.

That team Pep put out was good enough to win,selection wasn't why we lost.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.