Left Back

Who should we sign at left back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
True, but he's fourth-choice to play there, he's good enough to be that. I'd want this defence next season:

Cancelo / Zinny - Laporte / Ake - Stones / Dias - Walker / New RB
I wouldn’t disapprove of what you propose. Seems reasonable.

For me I think Pep plays Cancelo at LB because he trusts him more than Zinchenko. However if we brought in a top class LB would Pep prefer Walker or Cancelo at RB? If the answer is Cancelo then it will be a new LB that the club seeks.

For me I think Pep plays Cancelo at LB because he trusts him more than Zinchenko. However if we brought in a top class LB would Pep prefer Walker or Cancelo at RB? If the answer is Cancelo then it will be a new LB that the club seeks.
Cancelo just seems noticeable worse on the right to me. He's a starting LB in my eyes, and he have good cover behind him. Meanwhile, Walker is almost 32 and with Cancelo at LB we have no true RB to cover for him.

Cancelo just seems noticeable worse on the right to me. He's a starting LB in my eyes, and he have good cover behind him. Meanwhile, Walker is almost 32 and with Cancelo at LB we have no true RB to cover for him.
Is Cancelo better on the Left than right, would tend to agree with you, left. I do think he will be Walkers long term successor though. The other issue that concerns me is last summer Laporte wanted to leave and this season Ake is being linked with leaving. If so we will be short of left footed defenders.

Ludicrous to think we’ll buy a right back imo or another right footed full back. Unless James @ Chelsea became available due to the issues there, as we possibly couldnt turn that down.

Walker right back, new Left back and Cancelo who can play either position. We’ll play 60 odd games next season (2 FB positions = 120 games in total), 40 starts each for the 3 of them

Last edited:
Ludicrous to think we’ll buy a right back imo. Unless James @ Chelsea became available due to the issues there, as we possibly couldnt turn that down.

Walker right back, new Left back and Cancelo who can play either position. We’ll play 60 odd games next season (2 FB positions = 120 games in total), 40 starts each for the 3 of them

Why?

Any full-back we buy will almost certainly not be a starter as Cancelo plays better on the left and Walker is arguably our most important defender. Don't see either of them becoming rotation players. So which side needs more cover? We have Zinny and Ake who can play well on the left, with Laporte at a push. We have Cancelo who can cover on the right but who will need rest from starting on the left, and Stones at a push. So, unless you really think Cancelo will become a rotation option, I think a young and fast RB to work under Walker is what we need. Not sure who, but I hope we're looking.

I get the argument about needing a left-back who can play high-and-wide like a good and non-rapist Mendy, but to me that's out-weighed by the fact that we're one more Walker injury away from seeing Cancelo be forced onto a side where for some reason he feels the need to play risky passes and try and skip past people like Maradonna half the time. If there's someone out there who can play both, and go high on the left, then that would be perfect - but do they exist?

If we sign Cucurella, I think he will surprise a few and within a couple of games he will be our first choice LB.

Looks like a good player but can we realistically acquire his services in this window. He's only just completed one year at Brighton and contracted to them for 5 years which means if were to sign him this summer Brighton would command a large fee which after the Mendy transfer fee & debacle I'm not so sure we will entertain at this position. Unless of course there's a release clause which means its on :-)

Like the idea with Cucurella, as I said before. I think he would fit very well in our system. I appreciate Zinchenko's work, but we need a natural left-back.

If we sign Cucurella, I think he will surprise a few and within a couple of games he will be our first choice LB.
We currently don't have a 1st choice, so any signing is likely to get a shot at that role

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.