Lescott [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lomas has a lob on said:
I fear if we eventually land lescott that some fans expectations will be far to high of him, dont get me wrong i rate lescott and he is a proven premiership CB and IMO would definately be a vast improvement to our defence.But the last couple of days especially since the rangers game many of us, including myself have really upped the anti in terms of getting another CB, now we all have differing opinions on how our defence should look (dunne in or out?, kompany CB or DM etc etc) lescott will certainly improve our defensive frailties, but he isn't the answer alone i fear if he comes people will automatically presume our defence is sorted end of! far from it, IMO and this isn't a personal attack on hughes as he has my support, but i think the defence has looked shakier under him than any of the previous managers since probably keegan, weather his and his coaches methods defensivley aren't up to scratch or the players aren't taking it on board or hughes may just have been unlucky with players form dipping dramatically (dunne, richards) we just dont know. I feel we are missing a proper leader back there, which is why hughes pursued terry, now lescott isn't on terrys level in terms of organising or leading players, kompany i feel could do this but we dont really know do we? lets be honest kompany has played a month at CB in the prem and looked good (not amazing) just good. my point being lescott will be a great addition but i hope people dont put all the emphasis on him sorting our defensive problems out. maybe im old school or even a bit drab but i've always prefered a team thats built from the back forward, again im not trying to slate the club or hughes for our dealings i understand that in a football market the forward players are often the most sought or complicated transfer to negate, i just am finding it a bit strange how we haven't really addressed the position which probably needed the biggest "overhaul" from last season, like i said i support hughes and maybe he's been turned down in approaches for loads of defenders, but time is now of the essence! sorry for boring anyone who bothered to read my point of view!

I concur. Any team under management of Keegan had the mentality of 'if you score one, we'll score two'. And with the current influx of strikers into the club it is a bit worrying.

As Robbie has said, 'you can't build a house by putting up the roof first'.

I'm 100% behind Hughes and I think by Wednesday we'll have a further two additions to the squad. Don't know who and what positions, but that's my gut feeling.

Would have much preferred them to have the players signed before the Celtic game though.

mancity dan said:
Biamp said:
To be honest at this point of a time I would have a go at Upson (he would cost around £8m - £14m). Especially with 8 days left for the new season and we need a new defender badly. But, for some reason I can't see a left footed centre back as a requirement, even though it would be a better option (and there are some options). The main thing is that there are plenty of quality defenders that are out there most of them would cost us less than Lescott and have better/ same quality and we need to move on. Some options are Brede Hangeland, Philippe Mexes, Bruno Alves, Matthew Upson, and Sylvain Distin. We wasted plenty of time trying to get Terry (let's face it wasn't a bad shot, even though I never thought he would come. But, It was enough in our point of view that he even considered us; and as he called Mr. Chelsea). All in all, I would say it again it's time to move on to other targets.

If it is not sorted by middle of next week then I agree we need to be looking at other targets !!!

I would say weekend is a deadline, it's taken now around 3-4 weeks. I would guess it's enough time to secure Lescott. BTW the saga might drag on until the deadline day of the transfers, especially if we don't anticipate to move to other targets.

kramer said:
wrongun73 said:
i cant understand why we are hanging about for this guy, there are better players out there.
just let him stay at everton and go for some one else ffs.
if he then starts angling for a move in january when jagielka is fit? tell him his chance has long gone!

Left foot defender can play CB or Fb scores goals settled in Manc area, kids at school, proven in PL Perfect for what we want IMHO Doesn't Everton's reluctance to let him go tell you something?
yeah it tells me they havnt got enough defenders fit!
he's a decent player but just isnt worth all this fucking about IMO.

chrisb182 said:
Lomas has a lob on said:
I fear if we eventually land lescott that some fans expectations will be far to high of him, dont get me wrong i rate lescott and he is a proven premiership CB and IMO would definately be a vast improvement to our defence.But the last couple of days especially since the rangers game many of us, including myself have really upped the anti in terms of getting another CB, now we all have differing opinions on how our defence should look (dunne in or out?, kompany CB or DM etc etc) lescott will certainly improve our defensive frailties, but he isn't the answer alone i fear if he comes people will automatically presume our defence is sorted end of! far from it, IMO and this isn't a personal attack on hughes as he has my support, but i think the defence has looked shakier under him than any of the previous managers since probably keegan, weather his and his coaches methods defensivley aren't up to scratch or the players aren't taking it on board or hughes may just have been unlucky with players form dipping dramatically (dunne, richards) we just dont know. I feel we are missing a proper leader back there, which is why hughes pursued terry, now lescott isn't on terrys level in terms of organising or leading players, kompany i feel could do this but we dont really know do we? lets be honest kompany has played a month at CB in the prem and looked good (not amazing) just good. my point being lescott will be a great addition but i hope people dont put all the emphasis on him sorting our defensive problems out. maybe im old school or even a bit drab but i've always prefered a team thats built from the back forward, again im not trying to slate the club or hughes for our dealings i understand that in a football market the forward players are often the most sought or complicated transfer to negate, i just am finding it a bit strange how we haven't really addressed the position which probably needed the biggest "overhaul" from last season, like i said i support hughes and maybe he's been turned down in approaches for loads of defenders, but time is now of the essence! sorry for boring anyone who bothered to read my point of view!

I concur. Any team under management of Keegan had the mentality of 'if you score one, we'll score two'. And with the current influx of strikers into the club it is a bit worrying.

I'm 100% behind Hughes and I think by Wednesday we'll have a further two additions to the squad. Don't know who and what positions, but that's my gut feeling.

Would have much preferred them to have the players signed before the Celtic game though.

is a 'gut feeling' not the same as a wild guess then.........??....

Lomas has a lob on said:

Well you mentioned some great points there. Our defence line has been poor under Hughes I would agree on that. But in the other hand we are playing an attacking football (4-3-3,or 4-2-3-1). So what do you expect ?!

In any case all we need now is a centre back and we are set for the new season and there are plenty of options out there as I mentioned in my other post.

FFs guys and girls stop the negativity - our club is on the up after decades of shit (fun, but shit), we signed within the last 12 months:-

Shay Given
Pablo Zabaleta
Kolo Toure
Shaun Wright Phillips
Gareth Barry
Vincent Kompany
Wayne Bridge
Nigel de Jong
Roque Santa Cruz
Robinho
Emmanuel Adebayor
Carlos Tevez
(and ok Tal Ben Haim!)

We have seen the emergence of Vladimir Weiss, the improvement of Steven Ireland and Nedum Onouha, we have the return of Martin Petrov and the possible return of Michael Johnson, and we still have the possibility of signing the world's slowest letter writer (JL) and maybe 1 or 2 more - why are so many people so glum? It beggars belief

chrisb182 said:

If we sign one that would be good, but we end up signing two that would be great!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.