Lescott take a bow

No centre back in the world would be able to come in as a bit part player and be able to look decent against that Barca team. I felt for him last night as he looked rusty and a little off the pace. Why he didn't play against Wigan in the cup i'll never know, he needs bloody games...

Goater666 said:
No centre back in the world would be able to come in as a bit part player and be able to look decent against that Barca team. I felt for him last night as he looked rusty and a little off the pace. Why he didn't play against Wigan in the cup i'll never know, he needs bloody games...

He did play against Wigan.

IH8MUFC said:
Goater666 said:

He did play against Wigan.

Sorry yeah he did ha! What I really meant to say was I wanted Kompany to play with him for that game as well.

Lescott was unlucky last night. Lots of players made mistakes all game, like nasris and zabba missing sitters, but of course lescott gets all the blame, like mdm does. All players make mistakes because their people. Theres no such thing as the perfect player.

oldius said:
Stanger said:
People were actually saying the only good thing about this game is Demichelis is not available. Well, I guess all the excitement about that lasted till we saw Lescott in the starting line-up.

Now i know Lescott did his best, we did not have many options, but he is nowhere near good the level we are competing. Might have been the best partner for Vinny during the 2011/12 season, but he is clearly not good enough now (I could argue that we were in a difficult situation to win the league that year because of his mistake that lead to the goal against QPR). It's unfair that MDM gets so much stick, he was actually defending very well until that red card in the 1st leg.

The real culprit is whoever made the decision to not do business during the transfer window. We should have seen the importance of the games coming up, and made sure this area was strengthened. Everyone of us knew, that CB was our weakest area.

It could be that with Nastasic, Rekik and Denayer coming through, we felt there was no need to spend huge money and that a stop-gap of DM would suffice. We're in it for the long haul and whacking out £30m on the latest must have is not the right thing to do with the young talent that we have. If that's the reason then I'm happy with it as long as those players are given their opportunity in the new season.

If they are given a chance, and if they do prove themselves to be good enough for us, I would be ecstatic. But it all seems very far for now.

One thing i would like to point out is that Barcelona and Bayern generally use finished products. Sure, a few players might not be happy on the bench, or the youngsters are not getting enough chances in the respective clubs, but if we are competing with the best we need to be of that quality as well.

I'm not sure they always use finished products as boateng and pique will testify.

Nasty and Rekik are now full internationals so let's go I say!

oldius said:
It could be that with Nastasic, Rekik and Denayer coming through, we felt there was no need to spend huge money and that a stop-gap of DM would suffice. We're in it for the long haul and whacking out £30m on the latest must have is not the right thing to do with the young talent that we have. If that's the reason then I'm happy with it as long as those players are given their opportunity in the new season.

While that would be nice, those three aren't ready for our level. We will be aiming to make further CL progress next year as well as seeing off a strengthened Chelsea (who may even be reigning champions). And that's not to mention the other domestic challengers.

It's a proven key weakness and - with all our resources - one we need to address in the transfer market.

My worry is that our potential targets will be in much higher demand than in January. City won't be the only club looking for central defensive talent. Not even the only club in Gtr Manchester.

I thought Lescott had a good game up until his mistake for Messi's goal.

It's fine margins at this level.

I would like to see Kompany-Lescott for the rest of the league games, it's still probably our best partnership.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.