Let's consolidate English and American

The whole English language is a farce, having a kid really highlights at how hard it is to actually learn, things aren’t spelt as they are pronounced, the same word can be written the same but pronounced and mean different things depending on the context it’s used, it’s a frigging nighmare. There’s an Australian guy on Instagram who highlights all sorts of stuff, very funny to watch but so accurate, I’m mean why use PH instead of F!

Was at my daughters parents evening, and the teacher was explaining how the children are learning phonics. Didn't realise how much goes into it with our fucked up language.

I hate to break this to you but the ‘z’ was the original English and is still the preferred spelling in the Oxford dictionary.

The change to ‘s’ evolved afterwards in British English.

It’s something about words being derived from Greek, I remember learning about it in school.

Sadly it’s not that straightforward mate. “Organisation” first appeared in Middle English which was heavily influenced by French words post the Norman conquest of 1066.

Words that first appeared in British English around 1700 also then tended to be influenced by the Greek language so ‘z’ was more common, a good example is “Realize” that first appeared around the 1700s before changing to “Realise” in the 1800s. 1700-1800 both ise and ize were used interchangeably in British English.

So the rules are well… variable.

All that said the Americans are a fucking strange lot. It’s fair to say that anyone’s whose ancestors who got in a wooden boat and went 2000miles >>>> that way aren’t going to be of good breeding stock.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.