Licence Fee (TV)

Pretty sure it was downgraded to a civil debt.
You may be right, although I did a quick Google search and the top banner indicated criminal offence but a headline from the daily Mirror seemed to suggest that it may be downgraded to a civil offence at some time in the not too distant future, but I didn't click the link or check the dates.

I guess if as a nation a collective decision is made it is pragmatic to change the rules. It is, however, currently a criminal offence to watch tv or I Player without a licence. It is perhaps relevant that prosecution is unlikely if one pursues the course of non payment but you can be prosecuted. My sister in law actually has a criminal offence for this reason, even if she basically stuffed it up as I don't think she was actually trying to avoid paying.
I'm not entirely sure that having a licence fee is my fault btw. :-)
But as a continual payer of the licence you are supporting it.
People in Oz just wouldn't pay it so they scrapped it.
People power, poll tax etc.

But as a continual payer of the licence you are supporting it.
People in Oz just wouldn't pay it so they scrapped it.
People power, poll tax etc.
Not wanting to break the law is not the same as supporting a law. I do get the notion of collective power but as of this moment it is still an offence. Even if it is downgraded to a civil matter I shall still be paying the fee even if I disagree with it or not.

An extremely rare case of an actual warrant being issued. The warrant was not exercised and licensing eventually withdrew with their tails firmly between their legs.

seen this one on youtube,there is no follow up so we dont know the end result, as you say they withdrew but they may have had a summons for obstruction at a later date, the BBC will never break into a property to execute a warrant they will always come back until it expires 'i think 28 days', im not sure what the BBC would do if you spoke through a window and you said im not letting you in so you will have to force entry, your not obstructing IMO because your saying your free to force entry

Not wanting to break the law is not the same as supporting a law. I do get the notion of collective power but as of this moment it is still an offence. Even if it is downgraded to a civil matter I shall still be paying the fee even if I disagree with it or not.
Sometimes when there is something that is just wrong, people have to rise up.
Like they did with the poll tax.

Sometimes when there is something that is just wrong, people have to rise up.
Like they did with the poll tax.
Fill your boots. In the grand scheme of things I personally think the licence fee is good value so I am happy to pay it. Notwithstanding that I am not really the rising up type, especially for what is essentially a non issue (for me). I am happy for the "I don't want to pay" brigade to take up the cudgels on their own.
Regarding the poll tax, I am genuinely interested to know how it differs from council tax.

Fill your boots. In the grand scheme of things I personally think the licence fee is good value so I am happy to pay it. Notwithstanding that I am not really the rising up type, especially for what is essentially a non issue (for me). I am happy for the "I don't want to pay" brigade to take up the cudgels on their own.
Regarding the poll tax, I am genuinely interested to know how it differs from council tax.
Everybody had to pay the poll tax if over 18.
Council tax is only paid if you are a property owner.

I do wonder what would happen if the BBC was forced to fund itself. Most likely it would be a huge target for takeover by Murdoch or some other dubious media mogul. Better the devil you know, I reckon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.