Licence Fee (TV)

Unfortunately, I haven't got the balls to stop paying it.

I think it will wither and die within a few years as there's a generation coming through that don't like paying for content.

I think it will wither and die within a few years as there's a generation coming through that don't like paying for content.
Is that the same generation that pay for Netflix, Prime, Disney+ etc? Compared to all those I find the licence fee good value for money. It will wither and die because all those commercial platforms don't like the concept.

Is that the same generation that pay for Netflix, Prime, Disney+ etc? Compared to all those I find the licence fee good value for money. It will wither and die because all those commercial platforms don't like the concept.
Anecdotal evidence I know, but the twenty somethings I work with don't seem to be paying the licence fee.

Three years ago I went on BCC website to declare I didn't watch Live BBC TV (or iplayer) to which I got an email acknowledging it saying I was exempt from paying the licence fee but I future may receive a knock on the door asking to check my TV and aerial connection.

I've had a few new licence letters since but no knock on my door. If they call round I won't let them in but I'll tell them to look through the front window to see the aerial isn't connected to the TV. Since I stopped paying the licence I've very rarely watched BBC and when I have it's been through my iptv app.

I'll never pay for a licence again, whether you do(or not) is up to you.

No brainer for me. Loads of content for £200 per year. It probably matches all the others put together for total content.

I am never paying money to Murdoch. Iv done netflix/Prime/etc, watched all the stuff then stopped paying for it (Took me probably 6 months on each platform to watch the things I was interested in).

But the bbc is always generating new stuff at so much less cost. And I dont have a beef with them so I am not shooting myself in the foot by paying more elsewhere.

Completely the opposite for us. An extortionate monthly fee even when paid annually , when all out family likely watches in the next 12 months will be the girls with Strictly, an Attenborough documentary if there is a new one, and supertato on BBC iPlayer. A hundred and seventy quid to watch a dance show, the same 30 episodes of a kids cartoon a hundred times, and an admittedly world class documentary series which I could get in 4k for twenty quid for the ble ray or similar to watch anytime.

If that was Netflix's or Now TVs line up I'd be skipping months or just not bothering. And theirs start at £4.99 whereas the BBC want almost four times that per month. Don't care about adverts, the BBC actually advertise their own stuff anyway and it's pretty much the same thing for the consumer.

But, in theory, with the TV licence and the BBC, you can't skip or pick and choose. Pay up or we prosecute. Not unless you promise to not watch live telly, which includes official football streams that are actually up to three minutes behind 'live' events, and breaking news on the national news channels which may impact you personally.

The fact you have to pay it to watch live telly on any channel is an absolute swindle. I imagine and hope massive changes are coming soon, out goes linekar and match of the day, out go news reporters on hundreds of thousands of pounds per year , they're just another fish in the pond now and not a particularly good one overall.

Completely the opposite for us. An extortionate monthly fee even when paid annually , when all out family likely watches in the next 12 months will be the girls with Strictly, an Attenborough documentary if there is a new one, and supertato on BBC iPlayer. A hundred and seventy quid to watch a dance show, the same 30 episodes of a kids cartoon a hundred times, and an admittedly world class documentary series which I could get in 4k for twenty quid for the ble ray or similar to watch anytime.

If that was Netflix's or Now TVs line up I'd be skipping months or just not bothering. And theirs start at £4.99 whereas the BBC want almost four times that per month. Don't care about adverts, the BBC actually advertise their own stuff anyway and it's pretty much the same thing for the consumer.

But, in theory, with the TV licence and the BBC, you can't skip or pick and choose. Pay up or we prosecute. Not unless you promise to not watch live telly, which includes official football streams that are actually up to three minutes behind 'live' events, and breaking news on the national news channels which may impact you personally.

The fact you have to pay it to watch live telly on any channel is an absolute swindle. I imagine and hope massive changes are coming soon, out goes linekar and match of the day, out go news reporters on hundreds of thousands of pounds per year , they're just another fish in the pond now and not a particularly good one overall.
Prosecute? Only if you let them in and sign to say you're watching BBC TV without a licence. Only a fool will do this, and you don't have to let them in or admit guilt.

That and there’s been a significant shift in terms of people’s perception being based purely on what they individually consume.

Personally I don’t consume much of the BBC’s content, but I’ve always been happy to pay the licence fee. Thought it was a real shame when they cut local radio budgets. That and the world service, as that’s one of the few examples of soft power we’ve still got left internationally.

I have no problem at all paying it. I think the iplayer is great content. This month alone Ive watched the olympics, the hundred cricket, the full series of Corridors of Power which is excellent viewing and detailed documentary making, great docs on Linford Christie and Daley Thompson. Kin has been great. All the Attenborough stuff is amazing TV. I saw a fascinating documentary this week about that epic nutter Roger Stone. Newsnight and Panorama are long standing insightful shows that hold people to account and examine issues. It is value for money imho

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.