Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so over the development of our academy (apparently we have the best)

You'd be happy for paying over the odds for a footballer who's sole interest would be just for money moving over to here, who is 28/29 years old and could retire now and live the rest of his life in luxury.

You would want to do that?
To sign the best player in the world, yes. He plays one position so it will one set back one youth player. How do you know what his motivation for the move is. He is a professional and as I have stated the best in the world. Plus our academy prospects get the opportunity to learn form him. Pep rates him a level above kdb that's enough for me. You argument basically states that we shouldn't sign any players ever again.

Comparing him as a mercenary not his footballing abilities.

I noticed you kept that part out.

Thanks for confirming what I just put btw.

Comparing him in any way, shape or form is absurd. Like calling him a mercenary for example, it's unfounded and painfully ignorant.

Confirming what? That you have no idea what you're talking about? That you'd forgo the best player in the sport so our academy lads don't feel left out? That it doesn't matter what you think because City will go after him if he's made available regardless? Do tell.

Comparing him in any way, shape or form is absurd. Like calling him a mercenary for example, it's unfounded and painfully ignorant.

Confirming what? That you have no idea what you're talking about? That you'd forgo the best player in the sport so our academy lads don't feel left out? That it doesn't matter what you think because City will go after him if he's made available regardless? Do tell.

obviously a new fan to City then.

To sign the best player in the world, yes. He plays one position so it will one set back one youth player. How do you know what his motivation for the move is. He is a professional and as I have stated the best in the world. Plus our academy prospects get the opportunity to learn form him. Pep rates him a level above kdb that's enough for me. You argument basically states that we shouldn't sign any players ever again.

Hardly, for the money that it will cost to bring him here and for however long.

No thanks.

IF he came available when he was a lot younger, than I could understand why we were pursuing it.

Hardly, for the money that it will cost to bring him here and for however long.

1. It isn't your money.
2. He literally pays for himself.
3. It's Lionel Messi.

IF he came available when he was a lot younger, than I could understand why we were pursuing it.

Why? Statistically he's still playing as good as ever with no signs of slowing, he's a perennial Ballon D'Or and would be with a manager and in a system that gets the best out of him. What difference does being 29 make when he could go to 35 at the highest level?

obviously a new fan to City then.

Oh, I see, you're a wum then. Carry on.

How old is the current world player of the year? Age is not as important as ability! Messi has ability above anyone at the world in his position and unfortunately there are no 18 year old on the planet anywhere near him. Barca have sold around 2mil shirts with his name on the back this season! His marketing possibility a huge. Messi for 150mil makes better financial sense then a 20 year bargain who may have the potential to get into our first team at some stage. He has shown no signs of his age effecting his ability and it is very possible that he could continue playing at the top level for 5 or 6 years yet and win a number of trophies and individual honors which will only increase his and our profile around the world.

The messi topic is an interesting one, part of me agree's about the money side being daft and him being too old, not to be brilliant, but rather to warrant the lay out...

On the other hand, what makes it work out is the simple fact that no other direct or indirect rival gets him. This alone is worth half the fee...i mean how would naysayers feel if city passed him up and UTD or Chelski rolled in to pick him up? Or given the champs league anyone else for that matter?

You do wonder how he would fit into a new team/system(however similar) at this point in his career, especially given how he hasn't qiute made the same amount of impact for the national team...Actually though, given his very small frame and reliance on utterly brilliant technique first and foremost, you'd imagine messi will be at the very top for at least another 3-4 years.

I think on balance its too risky not to take the chance if its there.

Last edited:
Allgations being made at Barca that's he's told the board who he wants as their new coach and told the current one who to pick last weekend. Looking at the way he acted after we outplayed them this season it wouldn't surprise me.

If they are proven it's a definite no from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.