Liverpool (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ederson, 7 - kept us in it for as long as he could, unlucky with the goal

Cancelo, 4 - STOP PLAYING HIM AT RIGHT-BACK
Akanji, 6 - struggled at points but wasn't his fault
Dias, 6 - solid for most of the game but got exposed after Liverpool's subs
Ake, 6 - not a left-back but did as well as he could

Rodri, 7 - the only midfielder who played where he should have done today and it showed
De Bruyne, 5 - played out of position and couldn't really get anything going
Gundogan, 6 - was asked to press from the front for some weird reason, did okay in a new role

Bernardo, 6 - always running around but often to cover space left by our weird shape
Haaland, 7 - was our only threat in the final third (on the occasions he got the ball)
Foden, 5 - pocketed by a 37 y/o for the second time this season, play him on the right

We shouldn't have won today - we should have murdered them. I Fuckin HATE the way we play against Liverpool away. It's totally against everything we do against every other team. If we'd have gone for them from the off, we'd have thrashed them. Yes we may have let a goal in early doors, but if we go toe to toe with them we win, easily. You could tell from minute one what was going to happen. This game and chumps league semi's and finals really are Pep's Achilles heal.

Even if klopp was on the brink after a run of 10 winless games they would probably still win this game. There are some managers that can just sus pep out. Jose mourinio, conte, and definitely klopp. I’d still take our pep over any of them. Sorry everyone I’m still pissed off losing to these.
I'm not sure anyone has "sussed" anyone out. An aggressive press or low block and fast counter attacking is a good way to play against the type of football we play. Everyone knows that. If you do that with some of the best players on the planet you'll sometimes win.

I’ve watched the replay a few times and I’m not sure with that angle he does see it. If he did though, he should have told VAR and not even gone to the monitor.

It’d still be a poor decision though.
Isn’t that it though? A poor decision either way - he can’t have it both ways. The inconsistency with the rest of the game is the point, not whether it was a foul or not.

And he is v short sighted if he hasn’t seen that from the angle he was at. Not looking over his shoulder, open body looking at Fabinho and Haaland. He bottled it. And from then on lost control to the point that he stopped play to red card Klopp when we were in an advantageous position. Bizarre. I disagree with others who said he had a good game, his decision to play on play on was dangerous and is totally at odds with how the game is managed everywhere else.

On reflection

Our defence was poor today & cost us
They had a simple direct game plan
Haaland had chances to score & missed
Kev & Foden not really at it today

We never looked comfortable & had fear but still should not of lost

We showed them too much respect today and we weren't helped by the likes of De Bruyne seemingly playing a different role.

No player stood out as being particularly bad although Cancelo's mistakes were obviously extremely costly.

I just don't think the decision to play an extra midfielder at the expense of an attacker payed off. It felt like we were holding back far too much as a collective because we feared what they might do to us and just because it was Anfield.
we were too reactive in our set up and play especially in the first half

Isn’t that it though? A poor decision either way - he can’t have it both ways. The inconsistency with the rest of the game is the point, not whether it was a foul or not.

And he is v short sighted if he hasn’t seen that from the angle he was at. Not looking over his shoulder, open body looking at Fabinho and Haaland. He bottled it. And from then on lost control to the point that he stopped play to red card Klopp when we were in an advantageous position. Bizarre. I disagree with others who said he had a good game, his decision to play on play on was dangerous and is totally at odds with how the game is managed everywhere else.
ref was a *** told players he would allow them to get physical and let the game flow then we get penalised for the smallest of of infractions

They’re both relevant, in that it’s only instances like that where VAR can intervene and like I said, it’s only him that can say whether he saw it fully and bottled it or didn’t and changed his mind having seen the video.

On the rest of the game, I agree with you. I also said there was good reason both coaches were annoyed with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.