Liverpool (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The absolute opposite is true.

If the ref hasn’t seen a foul, that is exactly what VAR is for?
How can not being able to see something be a clear and obvious error? Note there's a distinction between "not seeing it" and "not being able to see it".

The former would be an error, if he hasn't seen something he should have, but the latter wouldn't - it's not an error if he's unable to see it.

Where I come from a spades a spade (a foul is a foul) ….what you’re advocating is that it’s fine for ref’s to wave play on as long as nobody scores, but if they do score it will come under a different kind of scrutiny than what has been used in the other 99% of the game, sorry that’s just not football, if there’s a foul you blow the whistle (unless there’s an advantage available)
I don’t hugely disagree with this, but what if the ref is 50/50 or 55/45 on a foul? Does he blow or not blow and look at the monitor afterwards?

It’s how offsides are now officiated, so why not fouls too?

How can not being able to see something be a clear and obvious error? Note there's a distinction between "not seeing it" and "not being able to see it".

The former would be an error, if he hasn't seen something he should have, but the latter wouldn't - it's not an error if he's unable to see it.
So if Ederson punches Salah in the face and knocks him out, but it was behind him, off the ball, it’s not a foul as he’s not seen it?

If a handball in the area happens and the ref doesn’t spot it, should a penalty be given, or ignored as he should have seen it/couldn’t see it because players were in the way.

It‘s not binary.

Where I come from a spades a spade (a foul is a foul) ….what you’re advocating is that it’s fine for ref’s to wave play on as long as nobody scores, but if they do score it will come under a different kind of scrutiny than what has been used in the other 99% of the game, sorry that’s just not football, if there’s a foul you blow the whistle (unless there’s an advantage available)
I absolutely agree. As I've described it earlier, there's no point in the ref waving play on if a goal is then scored but consequently disallowed as a result of the incident that he waved play on for. It's either a foul or it isn't; if it is then the ref might as well just call it if VAR are going to disallow it anyway.

So if Ederson punches Salah in the face and knocks him out, but it was behind him, off the ball, it’s not a foul as he’s not seen it?

If a handball in the area happens and the ref doesn’t spot it, should a penalty be given, or ignored as he should have seen it/couldn’t see it because players were in the way.

It‘s not binary.
I don't make the rules! It's either a "clear and obvious error" or it isn't, and if it isn't then according to the game's own rules then VAR shouldn't be involved, because they're only involved when a clear and obvious error has occurred, and if the ref CANNOT see it, it's not an error, clear or otherwise.

We see decisions all the time which are not given because the ref hasn't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.