Liverpool (A) - Pre Match Thread

Prediction - Liverpool (A)

• Win

• Lose

• Draw

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last season, Pep set up the side to not lose. I don’t think anything will have changed for this year. I expect Stones and Otamendi as CBs and Fernandinho sitting in front of them, with Gundogan alongside him with a temporary license to get forward if possible.

I’ve seen quite a few people putting a back 3/5 in, with Walker playing right side in a 3 (Cancelo and Mendy playing wing backs). I think the easier set up is Fernandinho sliding in and out of a 3/5 as needed, with Bernardo/Mahrez, Gundogan, KDB and Sterling collapsing into a 5-4-1 defensively, with Aguero as the outlet.

Clearly, the damage Liverpool impose on other teams is the inside movement of their front 3 as their FBs get down the line. What is somewhat unique is that even when the LB bombs on, the RB also bombs on as a late arriving RW at the far post, and vice versa. This can dramatically overload a team, as most of them employ an increasingly narrow defence as they backpedal towards their own goal, and simply don’t have enough defenders to cope...especially with the lazy wingers on defence most teams “enjoy.”

As Pep pointed out in the Amazon documentary last season, the channels between the CBs and FBs is where they liked to penetrate, but that is so last season. Today, they prefer to bring their frontline inside and overload the box, allowing their FBs to get down the line and whip in a ball for someone (anyone) to get on the end of it. With this set up, they have 3 in the box between the lines (18 yd box) sniffing out a touch, plus a late arriving back post FB looking to either knock a ball back into the box or have a crack at goal (a la Walker the other day), and another 3 midfielders surrounding the edge of the box.

In short, the Liverpool 4-3-3 becomes a 2-3-5 and simply overloads teams and literally stops them getting out. United did this for years in the last 15 minutes of games when they were either level or behind. City, on the other hand, like to play the same 4-3-3, but we transition into a 2-5-3 on the attack, because we need a little space to play the cuter, more exacting football that creates “the perfect opening.” Against some teams, this has proven to be our undoing. Whereas Liverpool attempt to use “shock and awe,” we usually try to use “surgical precision,” until we run out of patience and simply start pumping balls into the box for our 5’8” average strike force!

Liverpool are a team that doesn’t suit us. They harry too much. They bomb forward in possession. They press the box from dead balls. They are City...albeit with less finesse but more power. They attempt to use their strength and speed to blunt finesse like ours and simply overpower most teams. We have shown ourselves to be susceptible to that and need to be at our best to overcome it against Liverpool. When the opponent is good at it...even teams who are well down the League...we have struggled a bit, because their scrappy, less talented players are willing to put in a hard shift. We faced this against Norwich, and Wolves are ALWAYS set up this way, which is why they have managed to relatively successfully blunt us multiple times now.

Like almost everyone else, I look forward to this game with anxious anticipation. For me, which City shows up, and which Liverpool shows up, determines the outcome. If both teams are at their best, City win. Alas, it is eons since City played their best, or anywhere close, at Klanfield, although our more defensive set up last season was successful in blunting them, while giving us the opportunity to win the game at the last minute. That penalty miss eventually caused the season to unfold differently than it should have done, with an eventual 1 point gap instead of the potential 4 point gap that would have made the Brighton game a coronation celebration from start to finish.

This season the match is the proverbial six-pointer at a time in the season where both teams have games coming fast and furious. 9 points gives Liverpool a serious cushion, some of which they may need between now and the end of January. However, 3 points puts the cat amongst the pigeons, and would be a statement that could not be ignored by anyone. Liverpool have created a fortress at Klanfield, and are unbeaten anywhere so far this season. Having City turn that upside down on their home patch would be exactly what we need...and the PL needs... to put this season back on a knife edge.

Hopefully, PGMOL thinks so, too, because we all feel like it is inevitable the ref (Oliver!) will have significant say on the outcome...especially in and around the box! I expect the cards to be flying from the outset to help him keep a lid on it, but he may set himself up for a big decision or two later in the game. As I said, it is almost inevitable he will have an effect on the game, which is too bad.

This game is almost as important as the Etihad fixture last season...maybe more so???

You have to love this game.

COME ON, CITY!!!

I wouldn't be too worried about the "bombing forward" part, if I were you.

When Liverpool field three midfield players that can't "penetrate lines", they will be more restrained to press high. They will do it, for sure, but they won't over commit the way they did a couple of years ago. So with Henderson/Milner/Wijnaldum as 8:s, they won't be able to reap the benefits of pressing high up the pitch. They are more likely to fall into a mid block defense and use classic trigger press (allthough more frequent in the press than most teams). A type of play that actually suits City pretty well. City will still have the chance to counter attack Liverpoo's high line, but won't have to worry that much about the intense pressing game.

The alternative is to field Keita or Ox as one of the 8:s. With one (or two) of them on the pitch, Liverpool will be better suited to press higher up, with more people, with more intensity (and with much greater risk). My guess is that Klopp will only play Ox if they are behind (60th minute or so). And Keita in the 80th minute if they are still behind. But the starting lineup will most likely be three "not creative" midfielders.

Ok Aguero/Kun have started twice then , that combination is certainly in single figures , well done , and you can count on one had of his 200 odd games that he has played 3-5-2, and yes you have a point of view like everyone has on here , i gave you my retort , we move on.
You haven't given your retort, you've stated things as facts which aren't. They have started together more than twice and also more than single figures. You also couldn't count the number of times we have played in a 3-5-2 formation on one hand. Let's move on.

I would be at this late stage.

Pretty sure they wouldn’t/couldn’t announce a ban at this stage, not ethical to disrupt training and plans that you’ve had all week etc.

Feel quite safe now that Bernie is available for Sunday.

The squads have to be submitted by 12.30pm Friday, so I don't think it will happen now but I wouldn't say we're out of the woods until 1 or 2.

We seem to have a mental block playing at Anfield,if we can get to half time without conceding then we can win this game.By playing our usual possession game and inviting Liverpool to come at us should free up some space for us to counterattack them.We need to play the game and not the occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.