Liverpool fans throwing missiles from South Stand Level 3

The initial reaction to Hillsborough among City fans at Blackburn was definitely that Scousers were at it again. That was in the first half, when people with radios were passing on that the match had been suspended and the first reports started coming through that some people may have died.

It became clear fairly quickly that the numbers of confirmed deaths were rising fast and something altogether different had happened. I remember being on a train back from Blackburn to Victoria after our match, and some guy with a radio was relaying what was being said at that stage.

At this point, correspondents at the ground in Sheffield were suggesting that there'd been dozens of deaths, and passengers throughout the entire carriage on my train, almost all of whom had been at Ewood that afternoon, sat in shocked silence. Normally on the way home after a heavy away defeat, you'd expect a lot of noise from angry post-match recriminations. Not that day. It really didn't seem to matter.

I therefore would have no wish to mock the Hillsborough tragedy. As football fans who travelled round the country in the 1980s, a lot of us, I think, had a feeling of there but for the grace of God when we heard, read and saw what had happened in Sheffield. The subsequent cover-up and smearing of fans involved was a truly shameful episode in the history of our country's justice system.

Nonetheless, I think the excellent post above by @shackattack above has it right. The tragedy is used by some to try to shut down legitimate criticism of Liverpool fans from outside that club and its fanbase. No matter how bad their behaviour, they seem to justify everything with reference to Hillsborough chants, even songs that don't specifically reference and aren't intended to refer to those events.

I don't think that, in the last few days, City have handled events surrounding Thursday's match very well, to put it mildly. But I do have some sympathy for MCFC when our club, our players and staff as well as our fans have suffered what utter savages from the LFC support have dished out, only for the media to run with a prevailing narrative of an understandable Scouse reaction provoked by Hillsborough chants (when these have been sparse or non-existent, with reliance invariably placed on a wilful misinterpretation of the 'Always the victims' chant).

I share the dismay among many posters on here at what seem weak efforts from our club in the ongoing PR battle over these issues. On the other hand, we face a rival club and support whose hard-faced lack of shame for episodes of significant violence is genuinely staggering. And we face a media whose disinterest in the truth, born of an unquestioning servility to all things Liverpool FC, is truly contemptible.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all. Except Liverpool FC and their dickhead apologists.
I was fully focused on the game and how bad stuttering, injury hit City were with left footed Gerry Taggart completely lost at right back, passing just about everything into touch with his left. Blackburn striker Andy Kennedy flicked the Vs at us.

I turned on my radio at half time as I wanted to know what was going on in the Semis, particularly Everton v Norwich as my Evertonian mate had gone to Villa Park where that match was held. What I heard was the very sober toned of the late great Peter Jones saying that possibly ten people had died. As bad as the scoreline was, it didn't seem to matter to most people after that, except for the pissed up lads who were messing about on train home.

My feelings towards Liverpool went from admiration pre Heysel though wariness on my 1st away trip there a few weeks before, to disgust at what happened and how one of their directors tried to blame Chelsea.

As you say, their total refusal to take responsibility and lack of shame for their vile acts and their penchant for twisting to deflect is still staggering even by their low standards of behaviour. They have started so much trouble over and beyond the usual "welcome" on Merseyside. Brendan Rodgers with his shameful incitement "We'll unleash our fans" before the Klanfield game towards the end of 13-14 on the day City fans and the club went over and beyond in supporting them over Hillsborough followed by hostile behaviour and attacks on even families, disabled people etc after the game. Klopp has been just as bad. All this behaviour overlooked by a compliant media with pound signs in their eyes and prejudiced attitudes towards our club’s owners.

None of their behaviour changes what happened at Hillsborough. Whatever pressure was put on the authorities, those who sadly died that day and their families have been the genuine victims of one of the greatest miscarriages of justice in this country.

Equally, none of that miscarriage of justice is an excuse for their unchecked, feral behaviour.

Merry Christmas to you.

Last edited:
I actually don't know many city fans in daily life bar here and social media that still go on about the bus until it is brought up or we play them.

The animosity started in 2013/14 and is because they have been closest to us for trophy challenges for that year and then the 5 years, if either of us were finishing around 10th every season and going out of cups early the other set of fans would be back to pre 2013 ways of thinking and we seeing them as no more than an annoying history obsessed cult and and town full of scallies, the bus incident would have been filled alongside all the other bellend behaviour over the last 40 yrs they have got up to and hardly mentioned as we would be too busy being in arguements with whatever fan base were challenging us for titles.

This rivally will disapear as soon as it started, for many Liverpool fans were considered a horrible notrite load of cunts for a long time, who would jump you on any visit and be cunts, they have been the 30+ years I have been going and the dozens of trips to anfiled made, and I will always think of them as dodgy cunts but the levels of anger between both set of fans will go amongst most once one of us isn't a trophy rival.

The rags on the other hand will always be the enemy no matter the division, oh and spurs are constantly cunts trophies or not
My reason seems the favourite.

I know football forums can attract some of the weirdest elements of a fan base (present company excluded, of course), but a quick scan of theirs seems to show that a few spent their whole Christmas day painfully putting up a case for why injuring a teenage girl, and possibly scaring her off football for good, was actually Pep Guardiola's fault for complaining that coins were thrown at him. Fuck me.

What get‘s me about the graffiti is that LFC releasing the information gives the graffiti more publicity.
Maybe they should have just painted over it.
The person who did it has got far more publicity than they expected which would incentivise the scousers to be pissed off.
Now they may have released that information in a graffiti = smashing the City coach up so it’s all square but that is not how things have worked out.
As said b4....I don't know any city fan that would refer to them as kopites. It's not a term used in manc...kopshites maybe, but not that. Plus the handwriting was so neat!!! I've always smelt a rat.

Everton song:

Oh we hate Bill Shankly
And we hate St John
But most of all we hate Big Ron
And we'll hang the Kopites one by one
On the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey

So to hell with Liverpool and Rangers too
We'll throw them all in the Mersey
And we'll fight fight fight
With all our might
For the lads in the Royal Blue Jersey
Sang to the tune of an IRA song

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.