Liverpool fans throwing missiles from South Stand Level 3

In response to the last paragraph of a post by Gorton-tubster in the locked email thread, the treatment of Liverpool and its people over the years by thatcher, tory governments, police, press, the establishment etc. over hillsborough, and subsequently the general population of this country who have peddled the same old lies, has undoubtedly led to a lot of heartache, hatred and bitterness.

I honestly think a big part of why Liverpool are disliked by large parts of the country is because Liverpool supporters don't want anything to with them and don't want to be like them, as a result of this treatment. The shit Liverpool have taken over the years about Hillsborough and poverty inevitably creates a rift and 'scouse not english' becomes the sentiment. People up and down the country then don't like it and the resentment becomes mutual.

The poor girl getting hit by something last night absolutely shouldn't have happened and was disgraceful. How anyone can think it's acceptable to indiscrimately throw anything into a crowd full of people is beyond me. I hope whoever did it is caught and punished accordingly.

At the same time, the ramping up of the taunting of people over death and poverty is also inexcusable and is obviously designed to hurt and inflame things.

All this 'what about...' shite is pathetic and gets you nowhere. It's partly why I said yesterday that this one-sided view that Liverpool are scum and City are squeaky clean so it's ok to abuse the scousers as much as you like, is wrong, and actually perpetuates more of the bitterness and unsavoury incidents between the clubs. Liverpool, as do any club, including city, have supporters who will cross the line. City have supporters who are happy to ramp things up with the death taunts. Unfortunately, incidents like last night then become horribly inevitable if it's not reigned in.

You will probably all disgaree but the joint statement seems sensible to me. What needs to happen is that both Liverpool and City accept responsibility for their failings. No ifs or buts. Maybe then things might improve.

I will await the usual vermin, ****, rat, fuck off shouts. But if that's the approach you want to take, maybe you're part of the problem.

No insults from me.

And you have tried to engage with the question of why Liverpool are the most hated fanbase in England. So kudos for that. But really, you think the country doesn't like Liverpool fans because of this Scouse not English nonsense? People laugh at Liverpool fans for that, they don't hate you for it. You aren't the only city that has been treated badly by successive governments.

But let's talk about death. When did you get an aversion to celebrating death in tragedies? Was it after 1958? I don't think so with all the Munich banners and chants. Around 1985 perhaps? Naah, I have seen pictures from Heysel with Munich banners and Liverpool players casually talking to fans over them. After Bradford maybe? After Heysel? Nope, I have reports here of Munich chants after 1985. Would it possibly be after Hillsborough? You would think so, wouldn't you. But no. (Edit: You understand the Steaua Bucharest reference, I suppose. Yet you, to this day, use a SB banner to taunt Everton fans with the effect of the death of 39 fans at Heysel, for which Liverpool fans were responsible, on their European ambitions. Finally...) You have heard of Harold Shipman? Sentenced in 2000, up to 250 victims. Pretty bad. And yet you still, to this day, have a Harold Shipman chant. So when did this aversion to celebrating death actually start? Or is it just switched on and off as the situation requires.

You see, one of the main reasons you are hated as a fanbase is your hypocrisy, not any socio-economic bullshit.

Last edited:
Liverpool's support based is packed with well-heeled fans from all over Europe and the South of England. You don't hear many scouse accents at Anfield. City's fanbase is hardly the richest demographic. I recall one survey which said we and Sunderland had the least weathy fans in football. Manchester has some of the most deprived areas in Europe but we don't play the victim card.
I did spend about half an hour this morning crying in the shower about how they said our city is full of shit. It really cut deep.

That's true but LFC fans have a long history of throwing missiles going back decades. I know it happens with other clubs but not on the same scale. Let's be honest a section of their fanbase are animals. That's a view shared by matchgoing fans of all clubs up and down the country despite the fake news in our media. That's what I have been told by opposition fans during hundreds of away trips. LFC fans do target family groups and attack lone fans before and after matches. That happened again last night just as it often happens at Anfield.
I have a great view of the away section from my seat in East Stand Upper and last night they were throwing stuff from the first minute to the last. It is amazing there were not more injuries. I honestly believe we should now just ban them from our stadium. I don't care if we get banned from Anfield in return. The safety of our fans must come first.

I'm afraid this is true. I'm not sure why it should be so.
I've mentioned this before, but I personally was on a train — a football special full of City fans and identifiable as such — that was bombarded with breeze blocks as it went under a bridge just after pulling out of Lime Street. This was in the seventies. Nobody, thank God, was hurt.
Now sorry, that's not spontaneous. It's planned. And sorry, if you say “Well any set of supporters would be capable of that”, then again, sorry, but the burden of proof lies with you. Because I never, ever saw that at any other ground that I went to as an away fan. Only in Liverpool. Only after a match with LFC.
Sure, anybody could be attacked in the street in a moment of anger, or vindictiveness. Happened to me once from a couple of rags. Dare says it's happened to lone rags walking away from Maine Rd. But we're not talking about that.

It seems more people are arsed about getting one over on rival fans than they are about the safety of innocent people at games.
It does feel like the situation is getting a bit out of hand now, and when innocent people are getting hurt like the 15 year old girl last night, and the man knocked unconscious outside the stadium, then something has to change. Rivalry is one thing, but the toxicity is boiling over.

The poor girl getting hit by something last night absolutely shouldn't have happened and was disgraceful. How anyone can think it's acceptable to indiscrimately throw anything into a crowd full of people is beyond me. I hope whoever did it is caught and punished accordingly.

At the same time, the ramping up of the taunting of people over death and poverty is also inexcusable
and is obviously designed to hurt and inflame things.
This is a false equivalency, one that is perpetuated by Liverpool fans to excuse their disgraceful behaviour. Whataboutery of the lowest order.

I bet you've got the shinpads and the captain's armband haven't you.

Can't disagree that other places had it worse in that respect but you're forgetting hillsborough in this. The affect it had on the city and people, only to be falsely blamed and accused for it by the government, media, and establishment and then be taunted about it by the entire country seems to have been overlooked by you here.
With respect, I don't think the entire country "taunted" Liverpool over Hillsborough. There will always be the occasional idiotic comments, but the vast majority of people were appalled by what happened there and the subsequent cover up.

City have put away fans up there before.
First time anything major has happened.
There is a slight difference between away fans and scousers. Surely the club didn't think an email would work? It was obvious to all us fans in the south stand that it wasn't going to be a love fest.

I honestly think a big part of why Liverpool are disliked by large parts of the country is because Liverpool supporters don't want anything to with them and don't want to be like them, as a result of this treatment. The shit Liverpool have taken over the years about Hillsborough and poverty inevitably creates a rift and 'scouse not english' becomes the sentiment. People up and down the country then don't like it and the resentment becomes mutual.

At the same time, the ramping up of the taunting of people over death and poverty is also inexcusable and is obviously designed to hurt and inflame things.

All this 'what about...' shite is pathetic and gets you nowhere. It's partly why I said yesterday that this one-sided view that Liverpool are scum and City are squeaky clean so it's ok to abuse the scousers as much as you like, is wrong, and actually perpetuates more of the bitterness and unsavoury incidents between the clubs. Liverpool, as do any club, including city, have supporters who will cross the line. City have supporters who are happy to ramp things up with the death taunts. Unfortunately, incidents like last night then become horribly inevitable if it's not reigned in.

You will probably all disgaree but the joint statement seems sensible to me. What needs to happen is that both Liverpool and City accept responsibility for their failings. No ifs or buts. Maybe then things might improve.

I will await the usual vermin, ****, rat, fuck off shouts. But if that's the approach you want to take, maybe you're part of the problem.
Ah so it’s City fans fault for supposedly singing vile songs that a Liverpool fan has given a 15 year old girl a scar on her head for life. Stop lecturing us and get off the forum.

I agree the chants need to stop but they do not constitute in retaliatory violence

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.