Liverpool or United - Which fixture is more important?

Personally I think the Liverpool game is far more important as the league is already won.

However, I can understand why some fans would see the derby as the bigger game. Unless we go on to win the Champions League, how long will beating Liverpool in the quarter finals be remembered for? On the other hand, winning the title against our bitter rivals who took so much joy in our misfortune over the years would be the ultimate schadenfreude and it would never be forgotten.

A chance to beat our two biggest rivals in the two competitions they’re the historical top performers in in this country... why distinguish between them?

When growing up playing footy with your mates on the street you’d be City v United to win the league title. The hatred over the decades between the two clubs, the many brutal fights on derby day at both grounds, the history between the two clubs over the decades, giving them our old rags for kits, letting them use our ground when OT was bombed, Denis Law, the 5-1, the 5-0, that banner, the songs, the arrogant jibes and piss taking, the Tevez transfer and “Welcome To Manchester”, Ferguson saying “over my dead body” in regards to City being Manchester’s #1, the 1-6, the “Agüerooooo!” moment... and now this reality of having a chance to beat those ****s to win the title; it’s what dreams are made of, it’s a once in a lifetime thing, it’s another “you’ll never see anything like this ever again” moment. Anyone playing this down is daft. Yes we may well draw or lose this derby and still win the league later down the line but to win it on Saturday is as big as league football will ever get! If we do it it won’t beat that “Agüerooooo!” moment but the feel of the whole day will be different, it won’t be a moment, it’ll be a whole game of enjoyment and something to rub directly in their faces instead of relying on Sunderland fans (thank you Mackems by the way!) to do it.

Now let’s not forget we wouldn’t be having this conversation if we were playing Sevilla in the Champions League Quarter Final. We would be saying “it’s only a Quarter Final, there’ll be much bigger fish to fry if we get to the Semis or Final” but it is Liverpool afterall. The rivalry between the two cities is real and big. They’re bitter about Manchester to the core and have a chip on their shoulders. The Manchester Ship Canal is as poignant as it gets between the two cities but then you have football. City United Everton and Liverpool. I think City v Liverpool has taken a serious upwards turn this decade. The way they celebrate when they beat City is a bigger celebration than when they beat any other team. It is evident; they DO NOT like us! They are the most successful British team in Europe and they will hold that against us (as will the media) if thy beat us, saying we lack the European pedigree to beat them and have no history. But this is where we can make history. I know we’ve been to a CL Semi recently but I think beating Liverpool in these Quarters will be our European equivalent of beating United in the 2011 FA Cup Semi. It’ll be the moment everyone looks at us differently and make everyone wake up and notice that we are now the main club of this country and are here to stay.

So bring on this next few weeks against our two biggest rivals. Neither is more or less important than the other. This is where we set our marker down for the next dynasty and set the history boys back to the History Channel or ESPN Classic where they belong.

Come on City, I’ve got fire in my belly here for the next two week, let’s hope everyone connected to the club has the same!

Liverpool. We can beat the Rags any old time. We even did it when we were a poor side. But getting into the Champions League semi-finals is a rare opportunity. Only done it once before.
This is a stupid point to argue. How many times have we won the league in a Derby? we may never get this chance again
CL we get another chance at the Etihad the following week or at worst next season ffs.

Last edited:
City is too damn good to have to prioritize any match. Both are equally important and we should expect to see them win both.
For me, one game at a time. Winning is a habit that develops momentum. More likely to fail if we start taking it easier and over rotating. Don't even think about Manure until it's the next match on the fixture list.

If honest a good result on wednesday is the most important, beating the rags is always enjoyable, and we are gonna win the legue but getting to the semis is the priority.

Personally I think the Liverpool game is far more important as the league is already won.

However, I can understand why some fans would see the derby as the bigger game. Unless we go on to win the Champions League, how long will beating Liverpool in the quarter finals be remembered for? On the other hand, winning the title against our bitter rivals who took so much joy in our misfortune over the years would be the ultimate schadenfreude and it would never be forgotten.

Winning the champions league would be remembered even more than any derby win. It would be the best moment in City’s entire 124 year history . That’s what the stakes are here.

Winning the champions league would be remembered even more than any derby win. It would be the best moment in City’s entire 124 year history . That’s what the stakes are here.
Oh I agree, if we go onto win the CL then in hindsight the Liverpool game will without a doubt be looked back on as far more important. Part of me wishes they weren't in the same week so that Pep could put his strongest eleven out for both. Having said that, Bernardo is hardly a downgrade from Sterling nor is Aguero a downgrade from Jesus so I don't see why we can't win both. Could end up being one of if not the best week in our history.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.