Liverpool - post match thread.

There's always an issue that winning teams tend to have the most possession - but it's hard to demonstrate that one is a cause of the other.
Having more possession (imo) does not cause you to win more games. Better teams often have more possession as a result of being better!

We are having it demonstrated to us repeatedly, possession doesn't mean we'll win. Barca don't win because they have more possession, they win because they have better players and they have a better 'team' - which results in them enjoying so much possession. We have many good players, but we're not a fantastic 'team'. A lot of possession for the sake of possession isn't helping us. We are struggling to convert possession into goals.

However people want to spin it - you need to score more than the other team, there are no points awarded for who has most of the ball.

You hit the nail on the head, better teams have more possession, but that doesn't 'always' translate that you will win (as last night) the game but in the majority of cases it will.

Liverpool came out with the intention of imposing their game on us but we didn't allow them to - ultimately we were the better side - but lost, it happens. As Jimmy Greaves said, it's a funny old game, football.

Where have I said I wanted Klopp?

Yes Pep has got a great record. Wow. Unlike you my friend I'm not going to become a history boy, looking back like the Dippers and Rags. What matters is what he does now and in the future. In terms of who else, that's just a stock response to any criticism that is thrown Pep's way. You honestly telling me he shouldn't be doing better than he is now? We are ten, yes ten points behind a team that finished mid-table last season - remind me how long their manger has been in charge?

We concede goals at will, can't score for toffee despite spending a fortune on attackers, and are the softest of soft touches. He persist with players clearly past their prime and lacking ability, whilst ignoring a stunning youth system full of hungry and capable players, two of which he's now shipped out on loan to a Spanish second division team. Wow. Well played Pep. He's got a great record though.

And who are you to suggest I don't get behind the team? This is a message board where people can vent and express their opinions. It has no bearing on how I behave at the ground. I'm desperate for Pep to do well, because if he does, then it will mean my beloved City are doing well also. City come before any one man, and if I think City are being damaged by someone, no matter who that someone is, then I'll say so. At the moment I have little faith in what Pep is doing. That doesn't mean that I don't hope he restores that faith again by actually starting to win games. If and when he does, I'll express my gratitude and joy accordingly.

Happy new year.

Spot on. No one is challenging the managers wonderful achievements but you can see the team is regressing from when Pelligrini was in charge and that has to be down to the manager and tactics as well as the players

Possession does not equal control. Once we conceded early(again) we lost control. They had us right where they wanted us and we offered absolutely nothing as an attacking force - we don't shoot, we don't cross and we are shite at set-pieces

Please tell me how you control a game without having possession of the football ?

So should we sit back and defend tomorrow against Burnley, let them have the ball, so we can control the game?

Yes, you can choose not to like him, and I sense he didn't particularly like his time here either. But he wasn't deceitful or did anything wrong while here.

The truth is at Villa and Pool he had more value. Vice Captain, Penalty taker, important player, but while here he was a disposable utility player. I'm.not surprised he didn't like his time here.

I've had jobs where I wasn't valued, and I hated them too.
He may have had issues with his managers at City but he was always appreciated and treated well by the City fans and I thought the not celebrating lark was about respect for the fans? Personally I don't like the not celebrating thing but pretty much running past City fans wheeling his arm around was taking the piss in the context of his not celebrating against Villa.

Spot on. No one is challenging the managers wonderful achievements but you can see the team is regressing from when Pelligrini was in charge and that has to be down to the manager and tactics as well as the players

Not having that - did you see some of the non performances last season. What was the score at Anfield last season?

In what way did he not respect us?
He always put in a shift, never slacked (imo). He fulfilled his contract and saw it through to completion. Please explain where there was any lack of respect from either side?
Celebrating scoring goals against former clubs

Again, you could catch fire like Leicester did last year, with luck, no injuries and all time high confidence. But by and large the norm is that players win.

We haven't been clearly the best team for 3 years now, so I'm not surprised when we struggle against other equal teams.

We used to lose at Pool because Pool played up to the challenge. Yesterday we lost to a team that generally seemed are equal, and not some team playing up.
If we have one of the world's best manager's shouldn't he be getting more from his players?

Historically, the very top manager's (like Clough) could raise the level of a team's performance by organisation, motivation and belief such that "the whole is greater than the sum of parts."

ATM we are not getting the best out of our players.

Liverpool were very poor yesterday and we should have got something from the game.

I can't believe some of the happy clappers on here. People saying 'we dominated from start to finish. We had 57% possession.' Etc.

Yes we had more possession, but only because the dippers were happy for us to have it. I wonder what percentage of our possession was shared between the goalkeeper, defenders and holding players - I would guess 80%, but if it's less then either way it was toothless and we were clueless and pathetic.

This is the worst football since the takeover.

He was always appreciated and treated well by the City fans. I thought the not celebrating lark was about respect for the fans? Personally I don't like the not celebrating thing but pretty much running past City fans wheeling his arm around was taking the piss in the context of his not celebrating against Villa.
Spot on
If people were at anfield last season probably understand why he's disliked

Not having that - did you see some of the non performances last season. What was the score at Anfield last season?
I had a bit of an argument with another blue at the match about this. He was saying how much worse we are than we were last season. I don't see much progress but IMO there's no way we have gone backwards.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.