Liverpool Post Match

For decades, I criticised City’s policy of continually changing manager, largely because it seemed, on the evidence, that stability at managerial level was the key to success. However, it the days of £5bn tv deals and huge wealth, that model looks obsolete. Arsenal are are good example of the old way not working anymore.

Pellegrini had a great first season, but he has been worked out and he clearly does not have a ‘plan B’ and is intransigent when it comes to changing tactics. Yesterday, we were out fought, out thought, out worked and consequently out played. The debacle with Fernando being brought on as a sub until the moment Liverpool stuck in their second at which point he changed his mind and brought Bony on says it all. He was looking to settle for a draw in a game we needed to win - would Mourinho, Ferguson, or Mancini have brought Fernando on with 15 mins to play at 1-1 in a ‘must win’ game? - even the cautious Mourinho would have recognised the opportunity and the win requirement.

Pellegrini is too old to be a ‘dynasty builder’, and consequently, if he’s failing, as he clearly is, is time to change at the end of the season. Somebody younger and maybe more imaginative needed.

Astley Lad said:
I'll happily admit I'm not a great one for analysing tactics and the technicalities of what is just a game of football to me. But there appeared to be a clear shift in tactics when Edin went off and James Milner came on, that I assume, was more like the 4-5-1 everyone was clamouring for prior to kick off. Did we look any better for the change in tactics? Personally I thought we looked less dangerous than when we were an obvious 4-4-2.
What I did find concerning is the way we continue to play against teams that play like Liverpool. As plenty of people have mentioned, they get into the opposition, close down quickly, press from the front with all three forwards working really hard and prevent teams building slowly from the back as we like to do. Amazingly, that's exactly how they played against us last season and yet we looked completely surprised by it (again). If one if the players came out and said that prior to the game they'd never discussed how they thought Liverpool would set up and how to combat it, would anyone be surprised, because that's exactly how it looked. By hook or by crook we have to develop a system to deal with teams who play this way because it will quickly become the default method of playing against us.
I would av started 4-2-3-1 the two ferns sittin behind nasri yaya silva n sergio up top

I'm absolutely sick of knowing which grounds we are going to struggle at. It seems to shock our players every single season when Liverpool play a high tempo against us. Everything we do lately seems geared towards a moment of Aguero magic or a Toure lung busting run being our plans a, b and c.

There's no system of stopping a team pressing us, no system to stop a team counter attacking us and no alternative tactic for when we struggle to break a team down. Even the corners and set pieces look half arsed.

His promise of high intensity performances over 90 minutes has vanished. In matches as well as title run ins, we seem to only react when things go tits up and try to heroically recover. This happens occasionally because we've got talented players but most of the time, a team will know how to defend a lead and quite often, end up increasing it against us.

We've already been told my Pellegrini that the title race is still on. I guarantee that within the week, Vinny will be assuring us that all the players are committed to challenging for the league, won't give up and intend to prove it on the pitch.

The time for empty promises has to stop and actions need to begin to show.

citykev28 said:
I'm absolutely sick of knowing which grounds we are going to struggle at. It seems to shock our players every single season when Liverpool play a high tempo against us. Everything we do lately seems geared towards a moment of Aguero magic or a Toure lung busting run being our plans a, b and c.

There's no system of stopping a team pressing us, no system to stop a team counter attacking us and no alternative tactic for when we struggle to break a team down. Even the corners and set pieces look half arsed.

His promise of high intensity performances over 90 minutes has vanished. In matches as well as title run ins, we seem to only react when things go tits up and try to heroically recover. This happens occasionally because we've got talented players but most of the time, a team will know how to defend a lead and quite often, end up increasing it against us.

We've already been told my Pellegrini that the title race is still on. I guarantee that within the week, Vinny will be assuring us that all the players are committed to challenging for the league, won't give up and intend to prove it on the pitch.

Fully agree mate, I find it incredible that especially this season we have been going into games like Stoke (Home), Hull and so on with such a lazy approach and thinking 'Oh, were better than these so just give 50% and bang a few in'. We then spend the whole game chasing the game with them likely scoring and us having to try and dig ourselves out.

I can't understand why we can't go out there and exert our dominance and ability early doors like we did v Newcastle. I understand it is not always possible and we will play badly and lose/draw but this season it has been far too frequent in my opinion and is that down to the players and/or the manager?

Incredibly frustrating.

As for the Liverpool game, we got what we deserved.

CTID101 said:
citykev28 said:

Fully agree mate, I find it incredible that especially this season we have been going into games like Stoke (Home), Hull and so on with such a lazy approach and thinking 'Oh, were better than these so just give 50% and bang a few in'. We then spend the whole game chasing the game with them likely scoring and us having to try and dig ourselves out.

I can't understand why we can't go out there and exert our dominance and ability early doors like we did v Newcastle. I understand it is not always possible and we will play badly and lose/draw but this season it has been far too frequent in my opinion and is that down to the players and/or the manager?

Incredibly frustrating.

As for the Liverpool game, we got what we deserved.
Thought we got more TBH

Hung said:
For decades, I criticised City’s policy of continually changing manager, largely because it seemed, on the evidence, that stability at managerial level was the key to success. However, it the days of £5bn tv deals and huge wealth, that model looks obsolete. Arsenal are are good example of the old way not working anymore.

Pellegrini had a great first season, but he has been worked out and he clearly does not have a ‘plan B’ and is intransigent when it comes to changing tactics. Yesterday, we were out fought, out thought, out worked and consequently out played. The debacle with Fernando being brought on as a sub until the moment Liverpool stuck in their second at which point he changed his mind and brought Bony on says it all. He was looking to settle for a draw in a game we needed to win - would Mourinho, Ferguson, or Mancini have brought Fernando on with 15 mins to play at 1-1 in a ‘must win’ game? - even the cautious Mourinho would have recognised the opportunity and the win requirement.

Pellegrini is too old to be a ‘dynasty builder’, and consequently, if he’s failing, as he clearly is, is time to change at the end of the season. Somebody younger and maybe more imaginative needed.
agreed

stonerblue said:
Fuck me, a couple of losses and people decide Pellegrini has to go?

I admit yesterday wasn't great but come on, get a grip.

I wish people would, some people have made complete dicks of themselves over the last day or so

i8rags said:
Rags had it won, bin dippers had it won, chelski have got it won, see where I'm going with this.

Couldn't agree more.

So much football to be played and many twists and turns left.

We have a proven record of coming back from far worse situations than this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.