Liverpool Post Match

rnblade said:
It's a real shame that they're not on performance related pay!! Most of them would be bankrupt.

I remember Danny Baker on the original 606 suggesting players should collect their wages on the pitch after a game, so the fans could boo any undeserving player, and his wages would be held back.

Ignoring formation issues and other slagging off everyone has done - we lost - again - to 'worldies' scored against us.
We could just as easily have scored 3 or 4 with a little luck.
Mangala and Aguero looked the business.
Most of the others, and M.P., owe us 'big time' till the end of the season.
And as much as I dislike us losing, at least the points went to a good cause in the sense that it gets the dippers a bit closer to the rags and that 4th spot they all crave.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
crmcfc said:
Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
Worse than Hull at home 3 weeks ago?

I think it was we had every player available for this one against a very poor Liverpool side who are suppose to have been knackered. Also taking it in the context of going 2 behind Chelsea and applying real pressure how could they play with such apathy?

I am as unhappy as you about it. However, Liverpool have won 26/30 points. Their energy surprised me but many of their players today, didn't play the full game in Turkey. They are a good side for me. We still should have done better though, especially second half when we were gash.

Worse though for me was this pile of shit.

Burnley - 2nd half
Boro- 2nd half
Arsenal - much of the game
Sheffield Wed- 1st half
Barca-1st half

All in the last 10 weeks worryingly.

The Newcastle and Stoke wins made us think that the problems were over......they clearly aren't.

Agreed now the dust has settled....spoilt for choice sadly.

Blueside said:
Chippy_boy said:
ColinLee said:
If Aguero's shot had gone in off the post rather than back out and both he and Silva hadn't squandered an excellent chance each, we would have won 2-4 and you'd be praising Pellegrini for his guts. And don't forget that both of the dippers goals came from outside the box and left Hart with no chance.

We lost a very good game of football, it happens.

Along the same lines mate, you could say we lost the league, it happens. I am not meaning to be glib about that either: we have no god-given right to win the league every year and if for whatever reason we don't manage it this year, the earth will keep spinning.

These two all day long.

The more I think about it, the tougher yesterday's game gets and they needed two wonder strikes to win it. Set those strikes aside and look at the chances we had and it tells a different story doesn't it. As for the Zabaleta penalty - not a thing said in a season when a feather duster tap on the shoulder in the box is a near certain penalty. Remember last year at Anfield, Kompany makes one mistake that fell directly to Coutinho and its in the net, and we lose the game and no-one other than us talks about how brilliant we were in that second half (especially Silva). Then when Gerrard slips a couple of weeks later and Chelski win, all we hear about how tough that was...but not how tough Kompany's miskick at the same ground. We are in danger of letting the media tell us what to think - and they really do want us to struggle, same way they wanted Liverpool to win the league last year (..because they 'deserved' it.)

Yesterday, Kompany was clearly struggling on his feet...on the same dodgy pitch that Gerrard made his fateful slip on.....so maybe its one of them things.

People on here are slagging off the defence yesterday - well I'm not having it. They were under immense pressure yesterday and stood up to it pretty well; they played safety first when they had to (long ball) and passed it when they could (given the relentless pressure and that dodgy pitch). I thought Managala was sharp too and generally I was happy with our back five. Two wonder strikes and that's it. {And on the very same day last year, our two wonder strikes won us a Cup and changed the whole complexion of that game as well.}

People want us to play a fast run around style game when we simply don't have the players for it (Liverpool do evidently): our game usually involves quality players encamped on the edge of their box and that's the way we do it (mostly.): I would rather have Silva, Yaya and Aguero doing that than adopt any other system without them.

The only player I'm not too happy with is Dzeko because he seems to amble around like he's preserving his 'puff' for extra time plus penalties instead of running himself into the ground (like Silva, Tevez, Aguero etc): we needed that kind of hassle on their defence yesterday, and it just isn't in his physique is it? Another thing that annoys me is that he seems happy to settle for a soft throw-in when he should be looking to hold up the play and create pressure, when he does this he displays in the process such an offhand 'can't be ar*ed' demeanour - like someone 'playing out' the last ten minutes of their shift on a Friday afternoon. At least Jovetic looks like he gives a t@ss every minute he's on the pitch.

Gutted about yesterday but then again - hasn't that been Man City away at Anfield for the last four decades.

I have no problem with our first half display. We competed pretty well and created a number of chances. But after an initial flurry right after the break , where Aguero missed a very decent headed chance, we sat back and let them dictate. I can accept Barcelona or Bayern dominating possession against us, but for a Liverpool side who lost in Turkey less than 72 hours earlier to have around 60% is unacceptable. I've seen what we are like when we are playing for our lives - Barcelona second leg last year despite our losing was a prime example. I was so proud of the boys that day. Here we were completely asleep until they scored their second. And unlike last year when we were desperately unlucky to lose at Anfield and the players looked devastated, the reaction when the final whistle went seemed like a shrug your shoulders/$hit happens.

i8rags said:
Rags had it won, bin dippers had it won, chelski have got it won, see where I'm going with this.
You've missed out 2012-13 when the rags had it won and we didn't bridge the gap.
Some people will still believe we'll win it on goal difference if we're 12 points behind with four to play.

East Level 2 said:
aguerooooo said:
East Level 2 said:
You didn't see the 3-0 defeat at Anfield before the semi in 2011? You didn't see the recent performances against Burnley and Boro? You didn't see the 2013 cup final? Or the Charity Shield last August? Or the League Cup capitulation against Newcastle? Or several visits to Stoke and Sunderland?
Today was shite, but there have been plenty worse. And those were just in recent seasons. If you want to go back decades then try remembering cup ties at Bury, Bolton and Halifax. Those squads were bloody expensive when compared to some of the performance levels they achieved.
You have forgot Shrewsbury FA cup it sort of a given when Halifax rears its ugly head
I hadn't forgotten Shrewsbury, I just didn't want to list every cup cock up as it would take up too much room. And piss poor performances in relation to player cost (far worse than yesterday) are hardly rare in the league over the 45 years I've been watching. For info: Our heaviest defeat over two legs is still 5-1 against Lincoln even though we've played significantly better teams in Europe, and that 4-1 loss at Sincil Bank is amongst the worst performances I've ever seen.

"in view of the cost of the squad" and the importance of the game (a win and another tilt at the title) I'm talking about, cannot see anything mentioned here worse. We never expected a squad assembled for a few hundred thousand to be winning every week did we?

I have watched the goals again and if you had one like that scored against you in a game you would think ''What the fuck!'' but to ship two is just our luck and the sort we seem to get at Anfield.

Sure we did have a couple of chances but so did Liverpool and if they had all been taken we would probably have lost 5-3. Our lack of pressing, tracking back and work rate by our midfield cost us as it put too much pressure on the defence and as Savage said Kompany didn't know whether to stay back or go out and do the job the midfield should have been doing.

We can remain optimistic but i now fear it is gone. Even if West Ham beat Chelsea [and looking at the way Palace turned them over that is a big IF] and we beat Leicester,if they then win their game in hand the gap is back to five points with i think ten games left?

We have to go to Spurs,Swansea and the rags away and i can't see us getting nine points or us winning all our games either,which really we have to do. With the game in hand Chelsea realistically have to lose three games and we have to win all ours,if this happens it will be a bigger title win than our last two.

paulchapo said:
I have watched the goals again and if you had one like that scored against you in a game you would think ''What the fuck!'' but to ship two is just our luck and the sort we seem to get at Anfield.

Sure we did have a couple of chances but so did Liverpool and if they had all been taken we would probably have lost 5-3. Our lack of pressing, tracking back and work rate by our midfield cost us as it put too much pressure on the defence and as Savage said Kompany didn't know whether to stay back or go out and do the job the midfield should have been doing.

We can remain optimistic but i now fear it is gone. Even if West Ham beat Chelsea [and looking at the way Palace turned them over that is a big IF] and we beat Leicester,if they then win their game in hand the gap is back to five points with i think ten games left?

We have to go to Spurs,Swansea and the rags away and i can't see us getting nine points or us winning all our games either,which really we have to do. With the game in hand Chelsea realistically have to lose three games and we have to win all ours,if this happens it will be a bigger title win than our last two.

It's not luck. The first was very preventable. Kompany firstly mis-kicked yet again. And Fernandinho for some reason lurched right allowing Henderson to cut inside and shoot. If he had stood his ground or lurched left. Henderson might have beaten him down the flank, but he would never have been able to shoot.

lasereyes said:
paulchapo said:

It's not luck. The first was very preventable. Kompany firstly mis-kicked yet again. And Fernandinho for some reason lurched right allowing Henderson to cut inside and shoot. If he had stood his ground or lurched left. Henderson might have beaten him down the flank, but he would never have been able to shoot.

He also under hit his pass to Kompany that put us in trouble in the first place. The first goal was his fault in my opinion.

How often to top teams have time to get shots away like that without pressure. Once is unusual but twice in one game? The closing down compared to Liverpool's was a joke.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.