Liverpool Thread 2013/14 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FrostyNRG said:
Maybe I'm the odd one here (it certainly appears so!), but since when did being a football fan have to be such a joyless affair. Surely a major part of the enjoyment is getting carried away and dreaming (however unrealistically) about what your team might achieve. Christ if you could only get any joy out of actually winning things then the vast majority of fans would get very little out of being a fan most seasons. Certainly would be true for my lot (I'm a Spurs fan).

Perhaps I have a different view precisely because we rarely actually compete for much, but I don't begrudge any fan of any club getting "giddy" as it's being referred to. It's also a great stick to beat opposition fans with if/when it does all get pear-shaped - which is again (for me) a huge part of being a football fan. I'm currently taking great pleasure in winding up Ars*nal mates who really thought they were going to win the title this year, just as they have taken great pleasure in winding me up after we were convinced we were finally going to finish above them and stick them out of the CL last year.

I obviously view it differently to a lot on here but maybe it really does come down to what level a club is. Being a Spurs fan is largely about hoping/dreaming for me and if I didn't have that then I'd enjoy being a fan a lot less.

Rarely do I ever register for a forum, let alone post, but must say that this is one of the best posts on any forum I've read in a while. The beauty of being a football fan is revelling in the good days while they last. Yes you get some fuckers on RAWK who talk shite, but the feeling from the majority of us Liverpool fans is one of "Wow, is this really happening?"

Our chants of "we're gonna win the league" are not, in my opinion, arrogant at all. We know as much as you do that we're firm outsiders for the title, but the fact that we're even in it at all is a sign of the great work the lads at the club have done, from the manager to the players (many of whom were vilified from fans across England in the past few years).

Think of the likes of Flanagan and Henderson. The fact that these players are imperative to a title charge would have been a laughable prospect to most even a year ago. I've seen many fans brush off our team, apart from Sturridge and Suarez, as being merely 'average' and carried by the two up top. The fact is, whether you like it or not, these young and inexperienced players are mounting a title charge this season when nobody (not even ourselves) thought they could do it. We sing about winning the league to show belief in these players, to show that we (if no one else) can see what they are doing on the pitch.

Of course we're giddy. Three or four years ago we had Christian Poulsen protecting a back four containing Paul fucking Konchesky. We know we're outsiders, we know we probably won't win the thing, but we sure as hell will enjoy it while we are in the mix. Unless you are pedantic to the point of suggesting we sing 'we might win the league if City and Chelsea slip up a bit but even then we would have to win all of our remaining games which is rather unlikely', I don't quite see what we're doing wrong.

For the record, I hope you win it over Chelsea all day long.

super_city_si said:
Could be the start of something big for them. They have a young manager who has a good football philosophy and has his players buying in to what he's doing. IF he can buy wisely I see them being a major threat for the foreseeable future. '

Rodgers has a bright future and so do Liverpool. bring it on!
got a very good first team ,if they had been involved in Europe this season they would be fighting for fourth with everton and spurs,theyve had it pretty easy this season,however I do like Rodgers and if we don't win the league then I hope Liverpool do.

sir peace frog said:
super_city_si said:
Could be the start of something big for them. They have a young manager who has a good football philosophy and has his players buying in to what he's doing. IF he can buy wisely I see them being a major threat for the foreseeable future. '

got a very good first team ,if they had been involved in Europe this season they would be fighting for fourth with everton and spurs,theyve had it pretty easy this season,however I do like Rodgers and if we don't win the league then I hope Liverpool do.

This is wrong just the same way it is when people falsely say you're "buying" the league. It keeps getting repeated over and over though.

We entered the season with a team that's 6-7th best on paper. We were about Everton level. And we haven't "had it easy", we started the season without Suarez, both Sturridge and Gerrard have each been out for 1 month+ stretches, and at times we've had our entire first choice defense missing. That's not having it "easy".

sir peace frog said:
super_city_si said:

That's one I find strange, if the squad is so weak they'd have come bottom of the group and only played 6 more games. The same as going a bit further in both FA or Carling Cup. Or maybe they'd have planned an early exit in domestic cups to help out .

It's not the number of games, its playing weekend/midweek/weekend at least six times more than they've done.

It means rotation, it means playing weakened sides, it often means dropped points.

If Liverpool think they've had it tough this season they're going to get a big surprise next season.

HPLFC said:
Rarely do I ever register for a forum, let alone post, but must say that this is one of the best posts on any forum I've read in a while. The beauty of being a football fan is revelling in the good days while they last. Yes you get some fuckers on RAWK who talk shite, but the feeling from the majority of us Liverpool fans is one of "Wow, is this really happening?"

Our chants of "we're gonna win the league" are not, in my opinion, arrogant at all. We know as much as you do that we're firm outsiders for the title, but the fact that we're even in it at all is a sign of the great work the lads at the club have done, from the manager to the players (many of whom were vilified from fans across England in the past few years).

Think of the likes of Flanagan and Henderson. The fact that these players are imperative to a title charge would have been a laughable prospect to most even a year ago. I've seen many fans brush off our team, apart from Sturridge and Suarez, as being merely 'average' and carried by the two up top. The fact is, whether you like it or not, these young and inexperienced players are mounting a title charge this season when nobody (not even ourselves) thought they could do it. We sing about winning the league to show belief in these players, to show that we (if no one else) can see what they are doing on the pitch.

Of course we're giddy. Three or four years ago we had Christian Poulsen protecting a back four containing Paul fucking Konchesky. We know we're outsiders, we know we probably won't win the thing, but we sure as hell will enjoy it while we are in the mix. Unless you are pedantic to the point of suggesting we sing 'we might win the league if City and Chelsea slip up a bit but even then we would have to win all of our remaining games which is rather unlikely', I don't quite see what we're doing wrong.

For the record, I hope you win it over Chelsea all day long.

Like I've said before if it was tongue in cheek or sang whilst full of confidence when 3-0 up I could understand but to line the streets of Anfield like it was some kind of fanfare I just can't understand. It's up to you how you want to behave as a group of supporters and it's up to you how you support your team but if that was City fans I wouldn't be happy. Ask United fans and their 'City's cracking up' chant before we won the league. I know football isn't won and lost on the terraces but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if City and Chelsea haven't taken note of these videos.

I do find the 'joyless' comment a bit daft though. There are a million ways to have a laugh at football so just because one song strikes me as being a bit obnoxious doesn't mean I'm a killjoy at football games.

And if City don't win it I would quite like Liverpool because a couple of my top mates are Scousers but I also don't know if I can take their fans and the media should it happen. It will be unbearable and they'll be zilch mention of how you's have failed FFPR. You're already getting romantic in your post here and there's still a quarter of a season to go.

moomba said:
It's not the number of games, its playing weekend/midweek/weekend at least six times more than they've done.

It means rotation, it means playing weakened sides, it often means dropped points.

If Liverpool think they've had it tough this season they're going to get a big surprise next season.

True. It will be a completely new experience for us. Playing in the Champions League will be like nothing any of our players or our fans have experienced before.

I thought teams in the champions league tend to have better players and their quality tends to run deeper, hence they're able to rotate. But you make it sound like the Champions League is this huge handicap and thing to be feared rather than to be relished. Like your'e almost saying, "careful, you dont' want any of the champions league" which doesn't make sense.

Lots of sensible, informed posts on here, but for me a big part of the joy of football is the banter. Yup we may say Liverpool fans were getting giddy ( in fact I did) because we want to win it so much and we don't like to see other fans so confident. No matter how much we hope we can do it, none of us are that confident after the last 30 years we have had. Same for Liverpool fans, you hope, and are geeing yourselves up just like us. Love the humour the banter the passion and whenever I've spoken to scousers have found they know their stuff when it comes to footy!!

Rather Liverpool won it than either of the other 2 if we don't get it

Getting giddy is one of the joys of being a football fan. Their supporters want to try to carry their team to the title and you certainly cannot blame them for that.

I think there's a discernible lack of empathy being shown to Liverpool supporters, especially given how unexpected their sustained title challenge has been. As FrostyNRG has said, why make football so joyless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.