Liverpool Thread 2013/14 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Getting giddy is one of the joys of being a football fan. Their supporters want to try to carry their team to the title and you certainly cannot blame them for that.

I think there's a discernible lack of empathy being shown to Liverpool supporters, especially given how unexpected their sustained title challenge has been. As FrostyNRG has said, why make football so joyless?

There's not a lack of empathy at all. If this was United in the same position their fans would be ripping them a new one.

jay_mcfc said:
Getting giddy is one of the joys of being a football fan. Their supporters want to try to carry their team to the title and you certainly cannot blame them for that.

I think there's a discernible lack of empathy being shown to Liverpool supporters, especially given how unexpected their sustained title challenge has been. As FrostyNRG has said, why make football so joyless?

There's not a lack of empathy at all. If this was United in the same position their fans would be ripping them a new one.
Your second sentence is a non-sequitur to your first.

superseiyan said:
moomba said:
It's not the number of games, its playing weekend/midweek/weekend at least six times more than they've done.

It means rotation, it means playing weakened sides, it often means dropped points.

If Liverpool think they've had it tough this season they're going to get a big surprise next season.

True. It will be a completely new experience for us. Playing in the Champions League will be like nothing any of our players or our fans have experienced before.

Yes, we know you've had some success in the comp before. One or two of your lot may have mentioned it.

I thought teams in the champions league tend to have better players and their quality tends to run deeper, hence they're able to rotate. But you make it sound like the Champions League is this huge handicap and thing to be feared rather than to be relished. Like your'e almost saying, "careful, you dont' want any of the champions league" which doesn't make sense.

It's not what I'm saying at all. Champions League (or Europe in general) presents challenges to squads. Challenges that everyone wants the opportunity to overcome.

But if you think this season without Europe will be as easy as next season with Europe (and maybe a cup run or two) maybe you have been out of it too long.

superseiyan said:
True. It will be a completely new experience for us. Playing in the Champions League will be like nothing any of our players or our fans have experienced before.

I thought teams in the champions league tend to have better players and their quality tends to run deeper, hence they're able to rotate. But you make it sound like the Champions League is this huge handicap and thing to be feared rather than to be relished. Like your'e almost saying, "careful, you dont' want any of the champions league" which doesn't make sense.

I don't read it that way at all. It is just a huge difference. Think of it this way. At one point this season, City had 6 or 7 of our top 13 players out injured at the same time. But the games kept coming. As it stands, even with a much lighter schedule due to early exits from the cups and no Europe, Liverpool still had some major injuries. It is just a lot harder to keep guys going when they never get a week off. That is the reason that historically teams that play in Europe tend to do worse than the year before without Europe. Liverpool has a heck of a starting 11. Particularly their front group. It will be very interesting to watch how the squad handles the offseason in preparation for the added difficulty. Depth is a huge concern if you want to be competitive in the cups as well as maintain a top 4 standing. Does Liverpool go after some big names to provide depth or do they try to work their way through with essentially what they have?

Pleased to see someone seems to relate to my post!

jay_mcfc said:
I do find the 'joyless' comment a bit daft though. There are a million ways to have a laugh at football so just because one song strikes me as being a bit obnoxious doesn't mean I'm a killjoy at football games.

I wasn't just referencing the people that specifically highlighted that song though. It was a broad point that this thread happened to inspire. I do understand people thinking what the Liverpool fans did was OTT, but I personally say fair play to them. Why not enjoy it? Perhaps they should enjoy it precisely because they are actually the underdogs and the prospect of winning the league will bring them far more pleasure than what happens in reality.

BlueBearBoots said:
Lots of sensible, informed posts on here, but for me a big part of the joy of football is the banter. Yup we may say Liverpool fans were getting giddy ( in fact I did) because we want to win it so much and we don't like to see other fans so confident. No matter how much we hope we can do it, none of us are that confident after the last 30 years we have had. Same for Liverpool fans, you hope, and are geeing yourselves up just like us. Love the humour the banter the passion and whenever I've spoken to scousers have found they know their stuff when it comes to footy!!

Rather Liverpool won it than either of the other 2 if we don't get it

That sort of bears out my point. Wouldn't it be "better" if you could simply enjoy the prospect of winning the league (especially when in such a strong position) instead of feeling nervous that it might not happen? Regardless of what actually does happen, at least you'll have had that.

HPLFC said:
Rarely do I ever register for a forum, let alone post, but must say that this is one of the best posts on any forum I've read in a while. The beauty of being a football fan is revelling in the good days while they last.

Thanks for that, and for me that is exactly what being a fan brings.

Smell The Fear

Just seen Brendan Rodgers on Sky and he is shitting it. Going on about Tottenham being under more pressure due to the money they have spent blah blah blah.

Apart from the fact that he is wrong, the scousers having a net spend of 100 million more over the last 3 years, it just looks to me like he is seriously worried now. If this transmits to his players they're done for.

What with Mourinho trying to deflect attention in case they don't win it I am quite pleased our manager is refusing to suggest that we are not favourites. I am sure he knows we are the best and the players too.

Re: Smell The Fear

robbieh said:
Just seen Brendan Rodgers on Sky and he is shitting it. Going on about Tottenham being under more pressure due to the money they have spent blah blah blah.

Apart from the fact that he is wrong, the scousers having a net spend of 100 million more over the last 3 years, it just looks to me like he is seriously worried now. If this transmits to his players they're done for.

What with Mourinho trying to deflect attention in case they don't win it I am quite pleased our manager is refusing to suggest that we are not favourites. I am sure he knows we are the best and the players too.
its all mind games now.We know what we need to do.

I have been underestimating Liverpool all season so I guess why stop now. I don't see them making the top two. I certainly don't see them coming ahead of City, They would have to win all their games including the City game and hope City slip up elsewhere. I think you will need 87 points to win the league and don't see Liverpool getting it.

They're fucked.

They are losing £50m a year consistently. Their owners are loaning them money to cover it. They already owe them £70m on top of the £50m they owe the bank and they've automatically failed FFP because this hasn't been converted to equity.

They have brainwashed the scousers by telling them that these losses are something to do with one off fees about the old stadium but it's bollocks. Their exceptional items this year were £2m. They paid their stadium costs by restructuring debt.

They have also pointed to a commercial revenue growth from £63m to £97m as a big victory for them but they freely admit in their actual accounts that this is because they submitted 10 months of accounts in 2012 and the difference is down to having a full year.

Then scousers point to a line that says that their profit before player trading is £15m. But this doesn't take into account amortisation either so you may as way discount the wage bill if we're just throwing costs out of the window as markers of success.

I'm telling you know, they've no money to spend in the summer. They have to sell Suarez or plunge the club into further debt to buy players.

jay_mcfc said:

Your second sentence is a non-sequitur to your first.

That word is so clever that even though I still don't know what it means or how to spell it, I completely understand what you are saying - take a bow GDM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.