Liverpool Thread 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scouse_Jimi said:
Woke up to new of a new contract in the offing for Luis. One of the few players who's actually worth 200k a week. If he signs one I'll be over the moon!
Hang on. I thought our players were the mercenaries who played for money and yours played for you because they all idolised King Kenny when they were growing up?

Still I'll be happy if Liverpool fans finally recognise that, if you've got nothing else (like being successful) to tempt a player with, then money is a handy Plan B.

Salford_Blue said:
Sign a new long term contract, we'll give you a massive pay increase so that in a year, if we haven't attained Chumps League and you want to go (or we get a bid), we have far bigger leverage as to what we can sell you for than what we currently have.

Everyone's a winner!!!!!

Akin to our Wayne down Chester Road.

I must admit, that was kind of how I was looking at it. That said, I'm a cynical bastard. But I'm not always wrong!

Would be surprised if a deal was reached before it became clear if Liverpool make CL. Suarez won't want to get held back by the contract again. If he's off even without signing, it helps the club push up the price a bit and his agent to push up his new wages.

Of course, all the noises coming from club and player about how much in love they all are could be true!

more lazy than useless said:
Salford_Blue said:
Sign a new long term contract, we'll give you a massive pay increase so that in a year, if we haven't attained Chumps League and you want to go (or we get a bid), we have far bigger leverage as to what we can sell you for than what we currently have.

Everyone's a winner!!!!!

I must admit, that was kind of how I was looking at it. That said, I'm a cynical bastard. But I'm not always wrong!

Would be surprised if a deal was reached before it became clear if Liverpool make CL. Suarez won't want to get held back by the contract again. If he's off even without signing, it helps the club push up the price a bit and his agent to push up his new wages.

Of course, all the noises coming from club and player about how much in love they all are could be true!
Could be that and they want to tie him down to a new contract. Or could be that they want to make it harder for him to move if they up his wages. Or it could be that his agent is holding Liverpool to ransom while they've got the upper hand. Or it could be that it's a public statement that he's available for the right offer.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Salford_Blue said:

Everyone's a winner!!!!!

Could be that and they want to tie him down to a new contract. Or could be that they want to make it harder for him to move if they up his wages. Or it could be that his agent is holding Liverpool to ransom while they've got the upper hand. Or it could be that it's a public statement that he's available for the right offer.

If you were Suarez and want a move to a Madrid or Barcelona why would you sign an extension to your contract?

Prestwich_Blue said:
Salford_Blue said:

Everyone's a winner!!!!!

If the club and agent have met then there must at least be the potential for some form of backscratching. If the player simply wanted out, no negotiation; if the club want to keep him even if he wants out, no negotiation.

Still think he wants Real Madrid (or similar), and is trying to line it up with an acceptable backup plan for if it either doesn't happen, or doesn't happen yet. £200k at Liverpool (if they're in the CL) could do the trick for now.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Hang on. I thought our players were the mercenaries who played for money and yours played for you because they all idolised King Kenny when they were growing up?

Still I'll be happy if Liverpool fans finally recognise that, if you've got nothing else (like being successful) to tempt a player with, then money is a handy Plan B.

If you're going to quote me, do it properly! I said - money isn't the be all and end all, we were talking about a transfer fee. You stated you believed that Luis would be gone if an offer was received in January, I was saying that it's highly unlikely we'd sell him as we want CL more than the money for the player...At no point in that conversation did I say your players were mercenaries, thought we were supposed to be the 'victim' supporters ;-)

The other fact is that we've consistently overpaid on wages and transfers in the last 10 years, this isn't something we've "finally recognised". We've consistently wasted resources on poor players, think we're near the top of the top spenders in the league over that period with fuck all to show for it in terms of league performance apart from finishing 2nd in 08/09.

Thankfully we appear to be getting a bit more value these days. £200k a week for one of the best players in the world is value, with Suarez we'll stand a chance of top 4 this year and for years to come, without him we'll be struggling.

Wasnt there talk in September that Suarez would look to besign an extension with a buyout clause in it?

If he still is keen to leave he's not going to make it harder to do that.

waspish said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

If you were Suarez and want a move to a Madrid or Barcelona why would you sign an extension to your contract?
Maybe he wants to make sure he has a real buy-out clause this time and knows even if its 80-100m, Madrid will still pay it and barca will have the money after selling messi to us ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.