Liverpool Thread 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
jimharri said:
Vienna_70 said:
jimharri said:
No; not for the sake of it at all. You can't seriously tell me that the Gerrard of this past 18 months is the same Gerrard who pulled you/them back from the brink in Istanbul, who baled you/them out in the cup final against West Ham, who scored that late goal against Olympiakos (?) in the CL. Be honest. You know what I'm saying is true.

I'm with you, Jim.

If Starfish was still the same player as he was in the instances you give, he would be playing every game, rather than the bit-part player he has been this season.

He was a great player; he's been a great servant to Liverpool FC, but he's no longer in his pomp and hasn't been for quite some time now.
I tried reasoning with him, but he was having none of it. I was arguing for the sake of it. Fine; I'll leave him to it. I just can't be arsed trying to make him see what's in front of him.

I know, Jim; I read the whole discussion / argument.

It's like saying the The King is a great player. No, he was a great player before Buchan assaulted him.

Likewise, Starfish was a great player in his day.

He just wouldn't have it.

I think he's a fantastic player.

Yes, he's well past his best now, but I think it's pedantic to argue over the use of 'is' vs 'was'.

The media coverage has been way over the top. I can understand Liverpool fans desire to give him a great send off, but I don't think it's necessary for Sky to!

The comparison with Lampard is a little unfair. Lampard's played in some fantastic Chelsea teams and Gerrard's not had the same luxury at Liverpool. I'd have loved Gerrard at City, but c'est la vie.

He's the very last of Liverpool's spirit - there simply isn't any more left in the bottle now, and mediocrity beckons.

FanchesterCity said:
I think he's a fantastic player.

Yes, he's well past his best now, but I think it's pedantic to argue over the use of 'is' vs 'was'.

The media coverage has been way over the top. I can understand Liverpool fans desire to give him a great send off, but I don't think it's necessary for Sky to!

The comparison with Lampard is a little unfair. Lampard's played in some fantastic Chelsea teams and Gerrard's not had the same luxury at Liverpool. I'd have loved Gerrard at City, but c'est la vie.

He's the very last of Liverpool's spirit - there simply isn't any more left in the bottle now, and mediocrity beckons.

At the end of the season, will there be any Scousers left in the Liverpool squad?

Robbo. said:
I would love to have a player that has stuck with our club and won as many trophies as Gerrard has, also to top it off he's a local lad. Anyone who doesn't agree is just a complete twat. Gerrard is a legend to Liverpool and I would love a player to play for us from the academy and retire with us. Good luck Gerrard!

Just read through a few comments and this sums it up for me as well.

Footballers and their kids should not be on the field together, its cringworthy. Then again we are all guilty. Stevie G a couple of shades over average but not a true great unlike Kenny Dalglish. He sorted us out at Maine Road a few times.

jimharri said:
Blueband Brother said:
jimharri said:
So; you agree with me. He isn't a great player any more.

I don't agree with you because as I said, he is a great player so I still see him as such. There is no trap or confusion, my opinion is clear about that. You may disagree but that is your right.
Anyone with reasonable eyesight can see he is no longer a great player. Even the odd sensible Liverpool fan can see it. 5-10 years ago, he was in his prime and was a very good player. A great player? Hmm.
[bigimg]http://media.giphy.com/media/zkSFsZpQMZuG4/giphy.gif[/bigimg]

Robbo. said:
I would love to have a player that has stuck with our club and won as many trophies as Gerrard has, also to top it off he's a local lad. Anyone who doesn't agree is just a complete twat. Gerrard is a legend to Liverpool and I would love a player to play for us from the academy and retire with us. Good luck Gerrard!

Good summary.

He was without doubt a GREAT player, in my time watching football i don't think i can remember 1 player winning games on his own more than Gerrard, a lot of people who are saying he is not a great player will be down the pub tomorrow calling Kinkladze a legend

1961_vintage said:
Robbo. said:

Good summary.

All this bollocks about Slippy G being loyal to the dippers is bullshit he was off to Chelsea a few years ago but pulled out of the deal because of threats made by the Scouse Mafia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.