Liverpool Thread 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stevie Me

It wasn't the fans so much today (though they are a seriously irritating breed in general), and of course they have every right to send him off.

It was SKY and Gerrard himself that went full on Chemical Ali. Gerrard has been a prize twat about this move since he announced it the start of the season, hoping the fans would be in uproar on his behalf so Rodgers would offer him a new contract, and then when that (rather amusingly) failed to materialise he turned it into a season long farewell tour, the egotistical cock.

I think he did an interview with one paper or another about his leaving Anfield about every two weeks for the last nine months. Every time Liverpool were on the box the commentators and pundits were trying to invent another fucking landmark for him ("the last time Gerrard will face Stoke at the Britannia as a Liverpool player" type of stupid meaningless shit).

Gerrard himself has milked this pantomime dry, and has done so for months, aided and abetted by SKY and it's increasing need to provide football fans with season long storylines as if the premier league was less a sport and more like Hollyoaks, and as though all football fans are fucking idiots that require easy to digest plots to keep us interested, like its Wrestlemania and Mourhino is The Undertaker and Wenger is Shawn Michaels. It's even affecting the champions league coverage now where the focus on the final isn't the intriguing thought of how a pragmatic Juventus can contain Barcelona, or the transformation of Juventus to back with the elite, or how Serie A might be on the up in terms of quality; it's all about Suraez and how Evra and Chilleni will react to him.

It's this infantile obsession with soap opera style bullshit that grips my shit, and absurd spectacles like today prove beyond doubt that if SKY and twats like Richard Scudamore have their way it'll become some kind of "sports entertainment". I wonder how long before it goes reality TV with cameras in the dressing rooms, and we can vote by text who gets to give the half time team talk and who does a forfeit and has to put the cones out next training session.

Gerrard isn't retiring, he hasn't had a career ending injury, he hasn't single handedly won the World Cup or saved the club from bankruptancy single handed. He's decided to move to America for a big fuck off pay day. Oh the bittersweet turmoil of a multi millionaire forced to live in a mansion in Los Angeles and earning tens of thousands a week. He's so brave. So ruddy, bloody brave.

It's like all this bullshit, this cult of celebrity crap, this cynical attempted emotional manipulation of fans, is the really important part for Sky and the premier league executive body as a marketing tool to export this stupid soap opera style drivel to China and Sierra Leone and the football itself is an unfortunate pretext that has to be tolerated in order to facilitate the "product".

All of this was on show today, every last scrap of this unfettered childish faux sentimental fucking crap rammed down the viewers mouth in such amounts that the tip was dangling out of the arse in the first five minutes. I'm surprised Michael Aspel didn't show up with a fucking leather bound book and treated us to a slideshow of Gerrards career and speeches by his former primary school teachers saying how he was always running about with a ball at his feet and they knew he was special even back then.

Because that was the tone of the whole thing. That was the level of nonsense they were unashamedly aiming for, and Liverpool fans, who'd applaud a dog turd if it was in the shape of a 96, were ecstatic that they had a slew of people queuing up to tell them all how special, wonderful and magical they all are, and Kenny Dalglish looking like he didn't know where he was, clapping away at fresh air and looking like he now has the intellectual capacity of Bagpuss.

^^Pasted from the Newcastle forum, that guy is a wordsmith.

Superb rant lol.

The weirdest thing about the whole thing was Gerrard isn't even retiring. He's off to make millions playing in the MLS.

The coverage was so over the top it was ridiculous.

I've just come back from watching my 7 year old boy get beat. There's a kid on his team, let's call him Gerard to protect his identity and he was out if this world 3 weeks ago. The last 2 weeks he has tried to single handedly win the games, refusing to pass, shoot from anywhere and he ended up walking off the pitch in tears.

It's a team game and so often he lets his team down on his quest for personal glory. It wasn't his mis-control (slip) that cost the dippers in the Chelsea game, it was the 27 shots from 25+ yards he had after.

Don't anyone say he never played with great players, look at all the players he's played with and look at their achievements when he's not involved.

He's a c*** & so is the little fucker in my lads team. ;-)

bluethrunthru said:
Am I alone in finding the quiet voice Bodgers uses eulogising over slippery Steve actually quite a bit sinister?

everything about brenda is quite sinister

11214030_10152919602547108_5756115870373664811_n.jpg

As for gerard great servant for his club, but better than souness, keegan, McDermott, dalglish and the like I very much doubt.

Magicpants said:
Stevie Me

It wasn't the fans so much today (though they are a seriously irritating breed in general), and of course they have every right to send him off.

It was SKY and Gerrard himself that went full on Chemical Ali. Gerrard has been a prize twat about this move since he announced it the start of the season, hoping the fans would be in uproar on his behalf so Rodgers would offer him a new contract, and then when that (rather amusingly) failed to materialise he turned it into a season long farewell tour, the egotistical cock.

I think he did an interview with one paper or another about his leaving Anfield about every two weeks for the last nine months. Every time Liverpool were on the box the commentators and pundits were trying to invent another fucking landmark for him ("the last time Gerrard will face Stoke at the Britannia as a Liverpool player" type of stupid meaningless shit).

Gerrard himself has milked this pantomime dry, and has done so for months, aided and abetted by SKY and it's increasing need to provide football fans with season long storylines as if the premier league was less a sport and more like Hollyoaks, and as though all football fans are fucking idiots that require easy to digest plots to keep us interested, like its Wrestlemania and Mourhino is The Undertaker and Wenger is Shawn Michaels. It's even affecting the champions league coverage now where the focus on the final isn't the intriguing thought of how a pragmatic Juventus can contain Barcelona, or the transformation of Juventus to back with the elite, or how Serie A might be on the up in terms of quality; it's all about Suraez and how Evra and Chilleni will react to him.

It's this infantile obsession with soap opera style bullshit that grips my shit, and absurd spectacles like today prove beyond doubt that if SKY and twats like Richard Scudamore have their way it'll become some kind of "sports entertainment". I wonder how long before it goes reality TV with cameras in the dressing rooms, and we can vote by text who gets to give the half time team talk and who does a forfeit and has to put the cones out next training session.

Gerrard isn't retiring, he hasn't had a career ending injury, he hasn't single handedly won the World Cup or saved the club from bankruptancy single handed. He's decided to move to America for a big fuck off pay day. Oh the bittersweet turmoil of a multi millionaire forced to live in a mansion in Los Angeles and earning tens of thousands a week. He's so brave. So ruddy, bloody brave.

It's like all this bullshit, this cult of celebrity crap, this cynical attempted emotional manipulation of fans, is the really important part for Sky and the premier league executive body as a marketing tool to export this stupid soap opera style drivel to China and Sierra Leone and the football itself is an unfortunate pretext that has to be tolerated in order to facilitate the "product".

All of this was on show today, every last scrap of this unfettered childish faux sentimental fucking crap rammed down the viewers mouth in such amounts that the tip was dangling out of the arse in the first five minutes. I'm surprised Michael Aspel didn't show up with a fucking leather bound book and treated us to a slideshow of Gerrards career and speeches by his former primary school teachers saying how he was always running about with a ball at his feet and they knew he was special even back then.

Because that was the tone of the whole thing. That was the level of nonsense they were unashamedly aiming for, and Liverpool fans, who'd applaud a dog turd if it was in the shape of a 96, were ecstatic that they had a slew of people queuing up to tell them all how special, wonderful and magical they all are, and Kenny Dalglish looking like he didn't know where he was, clapping away at fresh air and looking like he now has the intellectual capacity of Bagpuss.

^^Pasted from the Newcastle forum, that guy is a wordsmith.
The last paragraph in particular was both funny and very well observed, especially the 'Bagpuss' bit.

cheekybids said:
I've just come back from watching my 7 year old boy get beat. There's a kid on his team, let's call him Gerard to protect his identity and he was out if this world 3 weeks ago. The last 2 weeks he has tried to single handedly win the games, refusing to pass, shoot from anywhere and he ended up walking off the pitch in tears.

It's a team game and so often he lets his team down on his quest for personal glory. It wasn't his mis-control (slip) that cost the dippers in the Chelsea game, it was the 27 shots from 25+ yards he had after.

Don't anyone say he never played with great players, look at all the players he's played with and look at their achievements when he's not involved.

You'd do well to tell your kid to model his football on that of Gerrards career instead of putting your hang-ups onto the kids shoulders.

stonerblue said:
cheekybids said:

You'd do well to tell your kid to model his football on that of Gerrards career instead of putting your hang-ups onto the kids shoulders.

Bloody hell, you've seen something in that post that I obviously missed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.