Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The greatest British manager ever, Brian Clough, said he would rather win the league title than the European Cup, as it’s a far better gauge of a team’s consistency over the course of a season.

So, no, the CL/EC is not the pinnacle of excellence, though it might be the pinnacle of glory in the European game.

Yet he set his team up to win two on the bounce, a feat few men have ever achieved. He may prefer the League which is fair dues, but he certainly took it as seriously & wanted it as much as any other manager.

How is "first is first" when you can finish second in your group, lose 50% of your group matches, and still progress?

Sure the FA Cup and Carabao Cup are by extension greater achievements. As just like the Champions League, you don't have to have won your league to qualify.

All you're doing is validating the idea of the fabricated aura around the competition as none of your points have any inherent sporting merit.

Are you all there?

Oh, I’m all here.
I’ll explain it again. At the end of the season, the team with the most points in their domestic league has finished first. At the end of the CL, the team who wins the final is first. First is first in both instances. Hope that clears it up. Have a nice evening.

Yet he set his team up to win two on the bounce, a feat few men have ever achieved. He may prefer the League which is fair dues, but he certainly took it as seriously & wanted it as much as any other manager.
Maybe Cloughie was like Pep, and set out to win every competition his team entered, unlike certain other managers I could mention.

Oh, I’m all here.
I’ll explain it again. At the end of the season, the team with the most points in their domestic league has finished first. At the end of the CL, the team who wins the final is first. First is first in both instances. Hope that clears it up. Have a nice evening.
Yet when presented with the actual format of each competition and how they drastically differ you fold.

I bet you'd brag to Usain Bolt about winning the egg and spoon race in Primary School.

Also, "have a good evening" is what one says when they've been shown their arse and have nothing to add.

The greatest British manager ever, Brian Clough, said he would rather win the league title than the European Cup, as it’s a far better gauge of a team’s consistency over the course of a season.

So, no, the CL/EC is not the pinnacle of excellence, though it might be the pinnacle of glory in the European game.
Alex Ferguson said the same.

To win the CL you don't need to be the best team in the CL or the best team in your league.

When you last won the CL to enter you finished 25 point behind the league winners and finished second in the league when you won it. How can you be the best in Europe when you are second best in your country ?

To win the CL you don't need to be the best team in the CL or the best team in your league.

When you last won the CL to enter you finished 25 point behind the league winners and finished second in the league when you won it. How can you be the best in Europe when you the best in your country ?

Footballing greats Steve Finnan, Milan Baros and Harry Kewell can vouch for the best team theory.

Footballing greats Steve Finnan, Milan Baros and Harry Kewell can vouch for the best team theory.

The lesser team was playing against the best team in the competition. Unfortunately, the best team couldn’t handle the pressure when the screw turned against them. They might have been the best on paper but they didn’t do it when it counts. That’s what’s important - what you do when it really matters. You can call it luck, mentality, skill or whatever, but the ones who do it take the spoils. That’s in the league, CL, or Sunday League.

When you last won the CL to enter you finished 25 point behind the league winners and finished second in the league when you won it. How can you be the best in Europe when you are second best in your country ?

Because when this means more there are different rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.